Small Unworthy Things, Once More, With Feeling!

Fragile Bird

Just now, Fragile Bird said:

Do not use quotes around the word. It only works on iPhones, I think.

No quotes and I have an iPhone and no luck.  It's an i7 so maybe it's not new enough?   (new to me though) :dunno:

38 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

I have an an i7 too. Did you send it to someone with an iphone? I think you have to do that.

I don't know if my brothers phone is an iphone or not, guess I'll have to send him a text.   :P

What might be living with me?

A)  I recently had my first experience with moths.  Through inattention, I apparently created a moth colony.

B )  I have no screens on my windows so in the summer I am very much at one with nature.  Sometimes the bugs are extremely annoying, other years not so much.

C)  I live in a converted brick & timber warehouse and there are crumbling bricks.  So much so that I regularly hear the noise from bits of masonry falling.

D)  The last couple of days, I hear random knocking-shit-over noises that don't seem to be coming from the bricks but are too heavy to be moth related.

I am beginning to suspect that I am Not Alone.  Is it a mouse?  A pigeon? A capybara?

I wish I could meet my roommate and come to some amicable accord but alas, I have no idea whether this is real or just a product of being home alone for 6 months.

On 8/20/2020 at 7:37 PM, Fragile Bird said:

I have an an i7 too. Did you send it to someone with an iphone? I think you have to do that.

Get with the times, FB!

.................................................................................................................................................

That first step when you realize your leg fell asleep because you sat on it for a half hour. It blows. 

15 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Get with the times, FB!

.................................................................................................................................................

That first step when you realize your leg fell asleep because you sat on it for a half hour. It blows. 

Hey, I also have a brand new iPhone, I need to do the transfer.

@BigFatCoward,

I believe it was you who said one of the great small joys in life is a new pair of socks. Well after avoiding malls for months, duty called and another layer to this is in these thirsty times, 12 pairs of designer socks was half off. And they feel great!

On 8/24/2020 at 9:47 PM, litechick said:

What might be living with me?

A)  I recently had my first experience with moths.  Through inattention, I apparently created a moth colony.

B )  I have no screens on my windows so in the summer I am very much at one with nature.  Sometimes the bugs are extremely annoying, other years not so much.

C)  I live in a converted brick & timber warehouse and there are crumbling bricks.  So much so that I regularly hear the noise from bits of masonry falling.

D)  The last couple of days, I hear random knocking-shit-over noises that don't seem to be coming from the bricks but are too heavy to be moth related.

I am beginning to suspect that I am Not Alone.  Is it a mouse?  A pigeon? A capybara?

I wish I could meet my roommate and come to some amicable accord but alas, I have no idea whether this is real or just a product of being home alone for 6 months.

Set up a camera.  Maybe it's one of those people who live in your ceiling and climb down to raid the fridge after you go to bed.

4 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

@BigFatCoward,

I believe it was you who said one of the great small joys in life is a new pair of socks. Well after avoiding malls for months, duty called and another layer to this is in these thirsty times, 12 pairs of designer socks was half off. And they feel great!

I always push one pair all the way to the back of the sock drawer, so there is a joyous surprise sometime down the line. 

2 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

I always push one pair all the way to the back of the sock drawer, so there is a joyous surprise sometime down the line. 

I’m so glad it’s not just me.

On the flip side, one of the worst minor irritations of life is the orphan sock of a relatively new and much loved pair. 

On 8/12/2020 at 11:51 PM, larrytheimp said:

I got one about a year ago and I fucking love it.  Especially this time of year when turning on the stove seems to make the entire house go up 10 degrees.

I went the other way: since we have a new induction cooktop, we disposed of our old electric kettle wich had started to leak boiling water on your hands if you poured the wrong way. The new kettle is used on the induction cooktop and it is even faster than the old electric kettle.

6 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Veteran move.

3 hours ago, Hereward said:

I’m so glad it’s not just me.

On the flip side, one of the worst minor irritations of life is the orphan sock of a relatively new and much loved pair. 

Similar problem, I have three pairs of dress socks that are identical in pattern, but one is black, one is dark blue and the last is some how in between the two, and it's annoy as hell when putting a pair on in the morning only to realize you mixed them up.....again.....

54 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Similar problem, I have three pairs of dress socks that are identical in pattern, but one is black, one is dark blue and the last is some how in between the two, and it's annoy as hell when putting a pair on in the morning only to realize you mixed them up.....again.....

The secret to sock order is spreading out your socks after the laundry, matching them up and then keeping them together by turning down the the top of one sock over the other so they stay together.  You’ll never make that mistake again. Orphans can be tossed in the drawer to wait for the other one to show up from under the bed or the couch or wherever you managed to lose it, unless somehow it manages to stay orphaned. Toss it out or toss it in a rag bag, so if the partner shows up you still have it.

1 hour ago, Fragile Bird said:

The secret to sock order is spreading out your socks after the laundry, matching them up and then keeping them together by turning down the the top of one sock over the other so they stay together.  You’ll never make that mistake again. Orphans can be tossed in the drawer to wait for the other one to show up from under the bed or the couch or wherever you managed to lose it, unless somehow it manages to stay orphaned. Toss it out or toss it in a rag bag, so if the partner shows up you still have it.

I do all this, but the ongoing orphan status of some is a constant source of irritation. I know that if I give up and throw away a perfectly good sock, even after a year of solitude in the orphan bag, it’s long lost partner will inevitably reappear. Drives me insane.

Then again, with two teenage boys in the house, I’m not sure I want them back anyway.

2 minutes ago, Hereward said:

I do all this, but the ongoing orphan status of some is a constant source of irritation. I know that if I give up and throw away a perfectly good sock, even after a year of solitude in the orphan bag, it’s long lost partner will inevitably reappear. Drives me insane.

Then again, with two teenage boys in the house, I’m not sure I want them back anyway.

It is so annoying to finally give up on that sock and the damn partner shows up!

I swear there is a monster that plays with my socks. The odds of pulling out about a dozen unmatched socks in a row have to be off the charts........yet every 3-4 months, this is exactly where I find myself.

DAYUUMMMN YOU SOCK MONSTER!!!!DAMNYOUTOHADES!!!!

5 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

You need a military grade flashlight to figure out which is which. No, I've taken the more enlightened route and am allowing those six socks to just have an orgy. 

Archived