Small Unworthy Things, Once More, With Feeling!

Fragile Bird

BUZZING 

im working on a comedy script and I’ve been panicking that I’m just not funny and it’s been really worrying me but actually my mentor just read through it and loved it and told me all it needs is fine tuning and editing slightly because all the jokes actually land!!! I’m so happy and feel quite validated hahah 

Whatever am I going to do with my life once I’m done with the renovation of sister’s flat? 
Option A. Learn basic sewing. 
Option B. Making over my mother’s house. 
Option C. (story projects) and Option D. (online course) are out because once I start working full time in home office the last thing I will need is more screen time as a leisure activity. 

On 11/3/2020 at 3:48 PM, Raja said:

Maybe it's because I grew up vegetarian but imo making food where you substitute the meat for a vegetarian substitute seems so...limiting. I'd rather one tries to make the plethora of vegetarian food that isn't just 'hey, I substituted the meatballs with vegetarian ones etc'

Agreed. I love veggie food, but I'm generally not a fan of meat substitutes. Give me something that makes full use of the veggies as the main ingredients on their own terms.

12 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Is there anything figuratively worse than going to the bathroom and finding a guest is so shitty they didn't bother to flush their waste?

Doing your business and then realising there is no toilet paper? 

These threads were originally started so there would be a place to mention stuff that was interesting but not worthy of a thread of their own. 

I considered posting this in the drinking thread, since it’s somewhat relevant, but decided this was a better spot. I saw a story this morning that researchers in Toronto have discovered a way to help a person get rid of alcohol more quickly. The issue relates to alcohol poisoning and the fact people die because there is no fast way to get rid of alcohol. Your body’s lungs get rid of some, but basically it’s your liver that metabolizes alcohol. The problem is it the liver does it at a steady rate that doesn’t get faster because there’s more of it to dispose of.

The researchers found that making the patient hyperventilate sped up the body’s ability to clear alcohol. The problem is, a person can’t hyperventilate for very long without suffering ill-effects. And breathing out too much carbon dioxide will make you dizzy and lead to passing out.

One of the researchers helped develop a low-tech piece of equipment that helps the carbon dioxide levels in the body remain at normal levels. The device, which uses valves and is attached to a cylinder of carbon dioxide, is designed to deliver an amount of carbon dioxide that is proportional to how hard the user breathes.

The study had 5 healthy people drink a glass of vodka twice. The first time they were tested by breathalyzer and blood tests to determine how quickly their bodies cleared the alcohol. It took between 2 and 3 hours to clear half the alcohol. The second time they used the hyperventilation device, and catheters were placed in their forearms and wrists to determine how much alcohol was in their blood before and after it passed through the lungs.

Using the hyperventilation method the alcohol was cleared in about 40 minutes. The concentration in the artery apparently dropped dramatically within a minute or two.

Further studies with more people are needed but this seems like a very easy way to help people in a dire situation in a low tech way with no foreseeable side effects. The study was published in the journal Scientific Reports.

On 11/9/2020 at 11:06 AM, A True Kaniggit said:

Aaaaahhhhhhhh!

Is there anything figuratively worse than going to the bathroom and finding a guest is so shitty they didn't bother to flush their waste?

What the hell is wrong with other human beings!!!!!!!!!

Not figuratively but literally much much worse is when you arrive home and someone you know is waiting and informs you that he needed the toilet so went and used the toilet in your studio which he knew was disconnected (Ie the waste pipe is capped off) because he thought it would be rude to go into the house and use your regular toilet. Yes I am talking bowel movement. Do you know what is involved in dealing with that?

With lockdown 2.0 there are understandably a lot of delivery cyclists (deliveroo, Uber eats, etc.) around the city. Great, stay home stay safe whatever. But really, someone ought to introduce some kind of cyclist test because these people are so lethal and pay no mind to pedestrians. Switching from road to pavement at the drop of a hat as it suits them. Oh lights red? Off the road I go!

swerving high speed round corners with not a care in the world to who might be walking by, not even looking where they are going because they are too busy monitoring their app. My frustration with their complete disregard for others increases daily. What's even more annoying is that the city has actually added several cycle lanes that should mitigate the issue but do they get used? Nope

On 11/12/2020 at 6:34 PM, Castellan said:

Not figuratively but literally much much worse is when you arrive home and someone you know is waiting and informs you that he needed the toilet so went and used the toilet in your studio which he knew was disconnected (Ie the waste pipe is capped off) because he thought it would be rude to go into the house and use your regular toilet. Yes I am talking bowel movement. Do you know what is involved in dealing with that?

Yes. That is indeed worse.

I've made an online friend while in quarantine. I think he said he's always lived in his small town. NYC is 3 hours away from him, but he said he's never been. I asked which states he's visited and he listed 2-3 states that I think just neighbor his. We've been on the subject of food, and he said there are lots of things he's not tried. He said he'd never had cheesecake until his 20's. He once told me he was eating fish sticks, and I asked if there was tartar sauce (I love tartar with fried fish) and he said he'd never had it. When I mentioned salmon and catfish a little later in the conversation, he said he'd never had them either. I think he mostly eats the stuff he grew up eating.

I grew up in a small/small-ish town in Florida, but it was a transplant area and a tourist area. It seemed like few us were more than first generation Floridians. Most people seemed like they'd come from far away states, or their parents did. Between that and the tourists coming in from all over, the "personality" of the town was probably a little more on the adventurous/open to novelty side. The other places I've lived in were all mid-to-large sized university towns/cities that also had a lot transplants, including internationals.

I live in St Paul, MN now. When I've gotten on the subject of traveling with others, it seems like many people have been far and wide across the country and have also internationally traveled (even to multiple countries). I feel like I'm under-traveled compared to most people I meet lol. I've never left the US and the number of states I've spent a significant amount of time in (by visiting or living there) is 9 if you don't count the places I drove through when I moved here from around the AL-FL border (I did no more in those states than drive through, get gas, or sleep in a hotel). 

I don't mean this in derogatory way at all, but the degree of sheltered that this friend has is honestly foreign to me, even to the point of it feeling strange...

Life is a lie

The other day a friend sent me an article about breakfast cereals having an I-forgot-per-cent chance of causing diabetes - what mainstream media content wouldn’t want to remind you that something, anything, everything is causing your imminent death?
As much as I pity this type of content, subconsciously it always stays with me, stuck in some deep dusty corner of my mind. So tonight, as I am finalizing a grocery order, I checked the nutritional value of my usual breakfast cereal after tossing into the shopping basket. Slightly appalled at the result, I quickly searched for the cereal from the ‘healthy’ line of the same brand, which I sometimes steal from sister after she abandons a half full box for months, as well as the granola. Since we are talking about the very same company, factory and probably even production line, at this point I have no reason to be as surprised as I am that they all have the exact same sugar content, 22%. Suddenly motivated, scared and brainwashed into finding an actually healthy breakfast alternative, I checked a new line granola brand. Local, handmade, hipster, what else could I need? Sugar content? A total of 20.5%. Who are we kidding? These are all the same or very similar flavours, for the sake of comparison, by the way. Life is a lie. Especially marketing. Breaking news, right...?

2 hours ago, Lizard Queen said:

I've made an online friend while in quarantine. I think he said he's always lived in his small town. NYC is 3 hours away from him, but he said he's never been. I asked which states he's visited and he listed 2-3 states that I think just neighbor his. We've been on the subject of food, and he said there are lots of things he's not tried. He said he'd never had cheesecake until his 20's. He once told me he was eating fish sticks, and I asked if there was tartar sauce (I love tartar with fried fish) and he said he'd never had it. When I mentioned salmon and catfish a little later in the conversation, he said he'd never had them either. I think he mostly eats the stuff he grew up eating.

I grew up in a small/small-ish town in Florida, but it was a transplant area and a tourist area. It seemed like few us were more than first generation Floridians. Most people seemed like they'd come from far away states, or their parents did. Between that and the tourists coming in from all over, the "personality" of the town was probably a little more on the adventurous/open to novelty side. The other places I've lived in were all mid-to-large sized university towns/cities that also had a lot transplants, including internationals.

I live in St Paul, MN now. When I've gotten on the subject of traveling with others, it seems like many people have been far and wide across the country and have also internationally traveled (even to multiple countries). I feel like I'm under-traveled compared to most people I meet lol. I've never left the US and the number of states I've spent a significant amount of time in (by visiting or living there) is 9 if you don't count the places I drove through when I moved here from around the AL-FL border (I did no more in those states than drive through, get gas, or sleep in a hotel). 

I don't mean this in derogatory way at all, but the degree of sheltered that this friend has is honestly foreign to me, even to the point of it feeling strange...

You’re in St Paul??? Our mortal enemy city????!!!

I have found that in very rural areas, the lack of travel is really common. I worked in St Cloud for several years and met tons of people who had never been in beautiful Minneapolis except at stadium events. And New York is .....weird, to say the least. The areas that are not near NYC are pretty shocking. When traveling there I saw a startling amount of yard couches and young children without shirts or shoes running in the street giving cars the finger.

For some reason the dvla have decided my car is off road despite me never telling them this. I cant just change the status, they need to do a full investigation as to how this has happened and while this is going on I am not allowed to drive it, expected time scale 3 weeks. 

Archived