Small Unworthy Things, Once More, With Feeling!

Fragile Bird

On ‎8‎/‎18‎/‎2020 at 4:24 AM, Fragile Bird said:

I just found out that if you text someone the words “pew pew” on your iPhone, you get a laser show! And so do they if they also have an iPhone!

Entertainment for hours!

On ‎8‎/‎19‎/‎2020 at 7:29 PM, A True Kaniggit said:

She responded with “Selamat”

I just texted "Happy New Year" to a friend and got a fireworks display.

I slept till around 3 p.m. today.  Wish I could say it was due to a super exciting New Year's Eve.

By the by, does anyone know whether this more contagious variant of Covid is more contagious in the sense that it can be spread in another way than it has already, (and what is that way), or what?  If that makes sense.

54 minutes ago, Tears of Lys said:

By the by, does anyone know whether this more contagious variant of Covid is more contagious in the sense that it can be spread in another way than it has already, (and what is that way), or what?  If that makes sense.

From what I've read it seems that it still spreads in the same circumstances and the same precautions should be used against it but in a situation where there would have been some risk of infection before there's now a greater risk.

Hmm. . .   can you maybe draw an analogy so it's clearer?  

Like, someone's entering a house where there's known to have been many murders that have taken place.  You've got to be on your guard against being attacked.  so instead of bringing a gun, a knife, and a bayonet, you bring a shotgun too because there's more attackers than originally thought?  

Sorry for being silly, but I don't really get it.  (and hope not to!)  

ETA: I mean, it's either contagious or it's not.  It's like being a little bit pregnant.  Capische?  

7 minutes ago, Tears of Lys said:

Hmm. . .   can you maybe draw an analogy so it's clearer?  

Like, someone's entering a house where there's known to have been many murders that have taken place.  You've got to be on your guard against being attacked.  so instead of bringing a gun, a knife, and a bayonet, you bring a shotgun too because there's more attackers than originally thought?  

Sorry for being silly, but I don't really get it.  (and hope not to!)  

ETA: I mean, it's either contagious or it's not.  It's like being a little bit pregnant.  Capische?  

Not really. Some viruses are really, really contagious, others are not. Measles, for example, is extremely contagious. If you attended a party with a contagious person there 9 out of 10 people could be infected. The vaccine is very, very effective, 98%, but if a community drops below 95% vaccinated measles can start popping up and 10% of the people who get it will have been vaccinated.

The Covid-19 vaccine is 95% effective, but the guesstimate is that an 85% vaccination rate will provide herd immunity, because it’s not as infectious as measles. If this more-easily spread variant becomes dominant, perhaps we’d need to see 90 to 95% vaccination rates.

SARS was deadly, for example, but it didn’t spread all that easily. 

So being "more contagious" means (example) something like the ability to defeat some precautions?  or the ability to jump larger spaces to reach a victim? or maybe spreads more of itself? 

I don't know if I'm making myself clear.  I'm just trying to understand what "more contagious" really means.  I guess it's not really important in the long run.  Just an inquiring mind that wants to know details.  :) 

1 hour ago, Fragile Bird said:

@The Anti-Targ the International Space Station is flying over the north island at this very moment. I just happened to glance at the app!

A shame it's cloudy, and I don't have a telescope, would be cool to see it live and in person one day.

6 hours ago, Tears of Lys said:

So being "more contagious" means (example) something like the ability to defeat some precautions?  or the ability to jump larger spaces to reach a victim? or maybe spreads more of itself? 

I don't know if I'm making myself clear.  I'm just trying to understand what "more contagious" really means.  I guess it's not really important in the long run.  Just an inquiring mind that wants to know details.  :) 

It means that if you spend x amount of time in a room with an infected person, your chance of catching it is higher than the less contagious version.

6 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

It’s amazing how the 4 y/o niece takes care of her dolls. She puts them in a stroller, puts a cellphone in their lap, and starts a video. 

What an age we live in. 

I friggin love it. 

My daughter wont talk to someone if it's not a video call. She doesnt understand it. So my 92 year old nana without a smartphone can only speak to her if my mam is there for a visit. 

9 hours ago, Tears of Lys said:

"More contagious" is basically a combination of a bunch of factors, including how rapidly the virus spreads, how it spreads, how long it can remain active, how likely it is for someone to be in contact with it to become infected, incubation times, etc. 

On 1/2/2021 at 2:51 AM, A True Kaniggit said:

It’s amazing how the 4 y/o niece takes care of her dolls. She puts them in a stroller, puts a cellphone in their lap, and starts a video. 

What an age we live in. 

I friggin love it. 

My two year old takes my phone off me (but says Ta), presses the home button, and then hands it back to me rxpecting me to punch in the pin to unlock it. She knows how the saved videos work.

She also thinks the TV is touchscreen.

Happy First Monday of the New Year everybody... :stillsick::ack::bawl:

fortunately nobody wants to do actual work just yet so daily meetings only start tomorrow and today we pretend and try to wean ourselves back onto the grind. I also had the pleasure of discovering that half of bank/religious holidays in 2021 are weekend days. And now my meager 22 annual holiday days feel barbaric. My lord I really need to build up a passive income stream because I hate spending my life working. 

why can’t we just work 20 hours a week and have 40 holiday days? Sounds fair to me. The more rested and happy people are the more efficiency and gdp they can squeeze out of us all.

Onto happier and more cheerful notes I’m trying to catch up on podcasts and reading and kinda enjoying it. And I managed to brew coffee this morning that didn’t triple my pulse and was actually enjoyable. 

7 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

fortunately nobody wants to do actual work just yet so daily meetings only start tomorrow and today we pretend and try to wean ourselves back onto the grind. I also had the pleasure of discovering that half of bank/religious holidays in 2021 are weekend days. And now my meager 22 annual holiday days feel barbaric. My lord I really need to build up a passive income stream because I hate spending my life working. 

why can’t we just work 20 hours a week and have 40 holiday days? Sounds fair to me. The more rested and happy people are the more efficiency and gdp they can squeeze out of us all.

Happy first Monday to you too.

I started a lot more full-on than you, it seems. I am sure my students all appreciated it ... not. :lol: 

Yep, holidays falling on a weekend sucks, the whole school year is like that right now. But at least I get a few days more off than you, who would have thought.

2 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

Yep, holidays falling on a weekend sucks, the whole school year is like that right now. But at least I get a few days more off than you, who would have thought.

That does seem unfair, when something like Christmas being at the weekend happens here we get a day off on the following Monday to make up for it.

8 minutes ago, williamjm said:

That does seem unfair, when something like Christmas being at the weekend happens here we get a day off on the following Monday to make up for it.

Wait, so you get an extra holiday just because a public holiday happens to fall on a weekend? Peculiar.

Here, the day after Christmas counts as a national holiday for unrelated reasons anyway, but for example, it was on a Saturday, and nobody gets an extra day off because of that.

But I personally have no reason to complain about off days anyway, I would think.

Archived