Small Unworthy Things, Once More, With Feeling!

Fragile Bird

11 minutes ago, williamjm said:

That does seem unfair, when something like Christmas being at the weekend happens here we get a day off on the following Monday to make up for it.

Next year Christmas and boxing day are saturday and sunday and NYD is saturday. So we get 3 extra days off. 

32 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

Wait, so you get an extra holiday just because a public holiday happens to fall on a weekend? Peculiar.

That's right. Holidays are precious things and we don't want to lose them just because the calendar is being inconvenient.

It only really makes a difference over Christmas/New Year since our other public holidays are tied to particular days of the week.

25 minutes ago, williamjm said:

It only really makes a difference over Christmas/New Year since our other public holidays are tied to particular days of the week.

Wait, you don't have any other holidays that are tied to a set date? Most of our holidays are like that. Only Easter is always on a Monday.

Just now, Buckwheat said:

Wait, you don't have any other holidays that are tied to a set date? Most of our holidays are like that. Only Easter is always on a Monday.

Public holidays in England are Christmas, Boxing Day, New Year's Day, Good Friday, Easter Monday and the first and last Mondays in May and the last Monday in August.

Scotland has more on a set date since they also have the 2nd January (Scots need two days off to recover from New Year's Eve) and St Andrews Day (30th November) but no Easter Monday holiday.

19 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

The situation in Canada is pretty much the same as the UK. If a national holiday falls on a weekend, the following Monday is a holiday. Some holidays are tied to time slots instead of days. Thanksgiving is the second Monday in October. Labour Day is the first Monday in September. Queen Victoria Day (yes, we celebrate her notional birth day) is the second-last Monday in May.

16 hours ago, williamjm said:

That does seem unfair, when something like Christmas being at the weekend happens here we get a day off on the following Monday to make up for it.

I always knew the UK is a magical land. No such thing here. What we get is the 24th off but there’s an extra workday on a random Saturday to make up for it which is also a barbaric practice, in my opinion. 

Our public free holidays are 1st and 2nd January (apparently like the Scots), 8th February (Prešeren's), Easter Monday, 27th April, 1st and 2nd May (Labour Day or whatever you call it in English, only we have two), 25th June, 15th August, 31th October (Reformation Day), 1st November, 25th and 26th December. So apparently more than the English ones, but some of them are bound to fall on a Saturday and Sunday.

22 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Queen Victoria Day (yes, we celebrate her notional birth day) is the second-last Monday in May.

When I was at University in Edinburgh I remember they observed a holiday on Victoria Day which was something I hadn't previously realised existed. Apparently (having looked it up now) it used to be a public holiday in some parts of Scotland but has now largely fallen out of favour.

7 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

I always knew the UK is a magical land. No such thing here. What we get is the 24th off but there’s an extra workday on a random Saturday to make up for it which is also a barbaric practice, in my opinion. 

I think there might be rioting in the streets if the UK government proposed making Saturdays into additional workdays.

21 minutes ago, williamjm said:

When I was at University in Edinburgh I remember they observed a holiday on Victoria Day which was something I hadn't previously realised existed. Apparently (having looked it up now) it used to be a public holiday in some parts of Scotland but has now largely fallen out of favour.

THERE WOULD be rioting in the streets if the UK government proposed making Saturdays into additional workdays.

FTFY.

28 minutes ago, williamjm said:

Technically the day is May 24, her actual birthday, and celebrated the second last weekend of May. This year the holiday Monday will actually be May 24. It's known as the start of summer, and traditionally the cities of Canada empty out and people head for a cottage somewhere, preferably on a lake. Good old Queen Vikky signed the British North America Act, which created the country of Canada. When we created our constitution, we asked the Brits to go find the damn thing, buried in a box in a basement of Westminster, or maybe a warehouse somewhere. It was totally unimportant to the UK, of course. It is not celebrated in Quebec as Victoria Day, they changed it to Fete de Dollard in 1918 and then again National Patriots Day, to celebrate "the struggles of patriots in 1837-38 for political libery".

It's also known as the May long weekend, but also as the "2-4" holiday. The major brewers in Canada long ago invented a case of beer with 24 bottles in it, and ever since the tradition has been to pick up a 2-4 for the 2-4 weekend.

30 minutes ago, williamjm said:
8 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

I think there might be rioting in the streets if the UK government proposed making Saturdays into additional workdays.

Understandably. The funny thing is, Saturdays I never “real” workdays for office workforce. Retail and hospitality are open for business on saturdays anyway, and office workers just lounge in front of their screens, take two hour coffee breaks or pretend they are productive for half a morning while they scroll Facebook. Extra Saturday workdays make no sense at all but we do them anyway out of habit like daylight savings... 

lol I told my friend I wanted to listen to music while I took a shower but there was nothing in my music playlist nor anything I thought of that I wanted to listen to. He asked if I wanted to give his favorite band a try and I was glad we were texting because my face just soured right away :P. I don't particularly like his music :P.

Today I feel particularly angry for no reason at all. I had a headache for most of the day so a comforting cup of caffeine was out my range of solutions. No amount of dark chocolate covered biscuits helped either. On the upside, being pissed off usually gives me a splurge of motivation which I badly need at my job at this point. 

Looking forward to caffeinating tomorrow, not for the effect itself, just the cosy and calming nature of the ritual. And after spending €100 on pillow cases, and €50 on ceramic kitchenware, I now have an urge to spend another €50 on scented candles. I also want to buy the rest of the Witcher books. I still don’t like it all that much, but at this point I’ve invested too much time into the story to not see it through. Did I say I also want a footrest, a reading lamp, new curtain rods and a chunky knit blanket? I guess if I can’t have dogs or cups of warm drinks around me, I automatically relieve stress by switching on my slumbering shopaholism. I didn’t like this day. 

2 hours ago, Hereward said:

You know you’re supposed to pour the water into a cup rather than drink it directly from the spout, right? Just thought I’d check!

Well, it's my first time to use an electric kettle and I didn't read the directions.

Next time I'll know better.

6 hours ago, Elder Sister said:

I just burned my lips off with water from my new electric kettle.  

I didn't do this on purpose, btw.

My new kettle is lovely but deadly.

On a similar vein, tonight I made some pizza sauce, cooked up some meant n veggies, and baked an excellent homemade pizza. Even thought "Okay this is super hot I am *totally* not going to burn the roof of my mouth.

Ow. Worth it, but ow.

I love my electric kettle.  Just reading these last few posts makes me want to heat some water up.  I'll wait for my getting-ready-for-work-cup-of-tea, though. 

I want to buy a crock pot on Saturday so I can eat stew after work every day.

1 hour ago, Inkdaub said:

I love my electric kettle.  Just reading these last few posts makes me want to heat some water up.  I'll wait for my getting-ready-for-work-cup-of-tea, though. 

I want to buy a crock pot on Saturday so I can eat stew after work every day.

I also love my electric kettle.  It's beautiful, and if I could wear it as an accessory, I would.

21 hours ago, Elder Sister said:

I also love my electric kettle.  It's beautiful, and if I could wear it as an accessory, I would.

I hear that.  Mine lights up blue.  It's like watching fencing in the Olympics.

Archived