Small Unworthy Things, Once More, With Feeling!

Fragile Bird

The hoppers are coming!  Sarah Gailey was right!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/2021/01/11/invasive-hippos-escobar-colombia-castrate/

(paywall - but the jist of it is that Pablo Escobar's hippos were allowed to just kind of move into the Columbian rainforest.  They like it A LOT.  And so now there is an invasive hippo problem).

I had the most peculiar dream last night and I’ve been meaning to post about it all day. By the time I got to it, I’ve forgotten quite a bit of it.... 

It featured my kindergarten and elementary school classmates (age 5-9), but they were adults and somehow we all got on a bus together to a church and some convention hall. Stuff happened there that I don’t remember, and then my father arrived to give us all a lift. Nobody wore masks, which I thought was worrying until I identified that the reason for this is that we are in a dream so it’s probably not unsafe to not wear masks. They were also very nice and not at all snarky about my father or his giving us a lift, which - ironically - I didn’t take as a sign of dreaming, although it could absolutely serve as such. There were certainly other elements and more details, but I sadly forgot them. 

The takeaway from this generally wholesome and comforting dream is that I miss peer company, particularly peer company that doesn’t judge me and is somehow familiar or reminding me of a secure phase of life. (The real life input of this dream is that I had a three-hour video chat with my excolleagues, who I miss dearly even though I still consider leaving the job the best of my adult decisions.) 

oh wait, I remembered another thing! The convention hall in my dream (which I think is supposed to symbolize the elementary school dining/event hall) housed an exhibition about the life of an old man who lives in my hometown, used to be friends with my grandparents, gifted me my first ever puppy and now sits in front of his house every single day chatting with his gang of other old men pals and we ritually say and wave hello when I’m dog walking and have 1 minute of small talk. This old man in my dream happened to be a world famous actor/sportsman and the exhibition featured tons of photos of his younger self (it was so vivid and quite accurate even though I’ve never seen a photo of this person from his youth), as well as awards and trophies he received. It was in honor of his life because he freshly passed away in my dream. 

The takeaway of this element is that I’m pathologically afraid of losing people who are meaningful and important to me in any minuscule way. And the input is that I’d been asking after this old man during the holidays because I never saw him in front of his house during the walkies and I was worried something happened to him, but allegedly he just moved to his son’s house for the winter and it’s too cold to sit outside. 

The brain is a weird construct, isn’t it? 

I've finally bit the bullet and bought myself some airpods. I've been putting it off for a while as this is clearly what Apple was trying to force us to do when they fucked us all over by getting rid of the headphone jack. It didn't seem worth buying another set of lightning connector headphones though so I gave in.

Annoyingly they're quite good. Especially at the moment with all the mask wearing we're doing.

16 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Shit. Came home, checked the mail, and found out someone opened a credit card in my name. Damn thieves.

Jut how I wanted to start my weekend.

That sounds bad. For the non-Americans : what does that mean?

On 1/12/2021 at 7:57 AM, Mlle. Zabzie said:

The hoppers are coming!  Sarah Gailey was right!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/2021/01/11/invasive-hippos-escobar-colombia-castrate/

(paywall - but the jist of it is that Pablo Escobar's hippos were allowed to just kind of move into the Columbian rainforest.  They like it A LOT.  And so now there is an invasive hippo problem).

I swear I posted about this in this thread a few months back. :P

On 1/12/2021 at 2:08 PM, ljkeane said:

I've finally bit the bullet and bought myself some airpods. I've been putting it off for a while as this is clearly what Apple was trying to force us to do when they fucked us all over by getting rid of the headphone jack. It didn't seem worth buying another set of lightning connector headphones though so I gave in.

Annoyingly they're quite good. Especially at the moment with all the mask wearing we're doing.

I held off for a while too, but I love mine. Never fall out, better sound quality and they cancel the background noise. Only downside is people may try to talk you not knowing you have them in and they might think you're a dick for not responding.

But yeah, extra helpful in the mask era. 

21 minutes ago, kiko said:

That sounds bad. For the non-Americans : what does that mean?

Someone opened a credit card in my name and bought a whole bunch of stuff. I wasn’t aware of it, so now a collection agency is trying to get me to pay.

Very irritating. 

20 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Someone opened a credit card in my name and bought a whole bunch of stuff. I wasn’t aware of it, so now a collection agency is trying to get me to pay.

Very irritating. 

That's crazy. Sorry to hear that. I assume that whoever accepted a credit card application without verifying the identity will be liable for that, right?

15 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

No idea. First time it’s ever happened to me.

I cannot imagine that you could be made to pay for it. If your debit card info gets stolen and somebody makes purchases the bank will pay it back too. At least here. Still, straightening out the situation is a pain in the neck, I’m sorry. And I hope you figure it out soon! 

The neighbor had a party last night, as a result I slept around 4 hours. By the sound of it, he has company again. But since I have to be somewhere by 7.45 tomorrow morning, after which I have a full workday, after which I have a doctor’s appointment that stresses me out as it is, I am not willing to listen to his clamor for another night. So no matter how rude it is, I’m knocking in there if they don’t shut up by 11 and I won’t even feel bad about it. Right, we all know I will, but still. 

1 hour ago, RhaenysBee said:

The neighbor had a party last night, as a result I slept around 4 hours. By the sound of it, he has company again. But since I have to be somewhere by 7.45 tomorrow morning, after which I have a full workday, after which I have a doctor’s appointment that stresses me out as it is, I am not willing to listen to his clamor for another night. So no matter how rude it is, I’m knocking in there if they don’t shut up by 11 and I won’t even feel bad about it. Right, we all know I will, but still. 

I’m that person who will always go complain if my neighbours are being too loud late at night. During the day, sure fine. Its annoying while I’m WFH but i’m not unreasonable, its their home, let the, enjoy so long as its not excessively loud.

But when they’re cackling, howling and blasting music until 1 am, you best bet I’ll be hammering on the door. I may also have reported them to our landlord...

Archived