Small Unworthy Things, Once More, With Feeling!

Fragile Bird

20 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

Is it me or does anybody else ever get the feeling that they are seen as dumb and they get looked down on and belittled for their political and societal opinions? I am not at all saying that I’m particularly knowledgeable about politics, social issues or the world in general. I’m too young, too into light, one might even say shallow hobby interests and too uneducated to have a wide and deep enough understanding about the world. But that’s also true for most people in my generation. And while I do recognize and respect that several of my acquaintances/friends are smarter and better informed than I am, I’m not that stupid either and none of us is a social scientist. So why can’t we each think what we think without shunning the other for it or just open up an educative discussion about topics empty of political allegiance and judgement over it? I guess this is why I steer clear of ever discussing politics. 

Having a high political IQ does not necessarily mean you're smart, and not knowing much about politics doesn't mean you're unintelligent. Things click differently for people. 

Frankly you're just way too hard  on yourself. 

21 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

Is it me or does anybody else ever get the feeling that they are seen as dumb and they get looked down on and belittled for their political and societal opinions? I am not at all saying that I’m particularly knowledgeable about politics, social issues or the world in general. I’m too young, too into light, one might even say shallow hobby interests and too uneducated to have a wide and deep enough understanding about the world. But that’s also true for most people in my generation. And while I do recognize and respect that several of my acquaintances/friends are smarter and better informed than I am, I’m not that stupid either and none of us is a social scientist. So why can’t we each think what we think without shunning the other for it or just open up an educative discussion about topics empty of political allegiance and judgement over it? I guess this is why I steer clear of ever discussing politics. 

Fuck them.

36 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Having a high political IQ does not necessarily mean you're smart, and not knowing much about politics doesn't mean you're unintelligent. Things click differently for people. 

Frankly you're just way too hard  on yourself. 

I know. I don’t feel unintelligent because I’m not 100% up to date on current affairs or politically savvy enough. The basis of belittlement isn’t the amount of info or knowledge, it’s the side my opinion takes on the political spectrum. If I took the same side as them nobody would ever question how well-informed I am about the topic. I guess it’s just a go-to method to pick apart the opponent in a debate and politics just makes people think everything is a debate. 

1 hour ago, SaltyGnosis said:

To me its like looking at lotus pods or hatching spiders. Unnatural and vaguely upsetting.

:) I can see how it could be disturbing. Especially if it was happening right there in the same workplace or classroom. 

So we’ve been renovating a studio flat and we installed electric heating instead of gas. There’s some type of Nordic electric panel and it’s weird. My goodness, it’s so weird.
First, there’s a weird smell, much like the smell of the gas heater that was here before - I’m hoping this is only the dust inside the panel burning. Great for the lungs in time of coronavirus. Second, the thing emits a crazy amount of heat. The window handles 50cms above are hot! It’s quite ironic really. You have a sustainable window and a semi-environmentally friendly heating and they just don’t get on too well, whereas a full plastic window would fare perfectly all right. Honestly, I’m a bit worried about the 100+ year old window frames and their brass handles. I hope this stupid heating solution won’t be too hard on them. So weird indeed... If anybody has any experience or suggestion with electric heating panels, please share. I might try mounting the panel a bit lower. 

18 minutes ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

Whoa, these are all like really deep thoughts for a “small things” thread. 

I was gonna be all like “so, my new avatar is a cerulean warbler, my favorite warbler!” ....kinda thinking deep thoughts, though, now. Can’t think about cerulean warbler vs Richard Nixon’s White House silver pattern. Decisions are too deep.

OTOH, cerulean warblers!!!!

A bird gang is being established! 

On 10/16/2020 at 4:20 AM, RhaenysBee said:

Have you thought about running for President in USA?  You seem more qualified than the current office holder.

3 hours ago, Teng Ai Hui said:

Have you thought about running for President in USA?  You seem more qualified than the current office holder.

I’m afraid I have neither the stress tolerance nor the citizenship for such. Besides, there’s Kanye. 

Today I learned that people calling their 23rd year their Jordan Year is thing. I've seen the hashtag on Instagram etc with no idea what it referred to and decided to look it up. 

26 years ago I just called it 'Twenty Three', no hashtag. Kids these days...

Also, Jordan's Jordan (best) Year was 1990-1991 when he was 27/28.

News apps, Instagram accounts, buzzfeed “articles” and national news all buzz with the same burning question of our age: whatever in this godforsaken world will our (school-age!) children do in lockdown/autumn break/online education with all entertainment possibilities closed? 
I mean no disrespect to our children, I’m sure they all long to follow their regular schedule of taking off-line classes and socializing with their peers in person and suffer from the same sense of uncertain and grim future adults do. But do our children know that in ye old 90s, before the age of the internet and most gaming software and machinery and the ability to afford cable, when our parents worked, attended chores, did their pHD, needed rest we all sort of entertained ourselves? Better yet, does the media remember these ancient times? 
This seemingly lost art involved reading books, coloring, drawing, making various artwork from various objects such as yarn, leaves, seeds, textile, buttons etc around the house, crafting costumes for oneself and one’s dolls/soft toys, writing plays, performing them, performing existing stories, building constructions from lego, blocks, pillows, duvets, make-believe tea parties, weddings, classes, hairdresser, circus, theatre, ball, war, espionage, zoo, doctor’s visit, sport contest, restaurant, family life with one’s siblings and/or toys, completing easy chores around the house to help overwhelmed parents, learn responsibility and feel empowered and grownup, sneaking into parents’s quarters to put on ties, heels, makeup, hats to pretend being grownup, making plans for excursions, family activities, cooking, baking, more serious crafts for later, supervised execution, listening and dancing to music, dressing up, room makeovers, writing letters to friends and family, putting together holiday wishlists and gift ideas, crafting holiday gifts, decluttering closet and toys for charity. 
When I was a wee human in the olden days, we took day trips like three times a year, visited the zoo or the theme park once a year, saw a play and a movie once a year and went on vacation once a year. And our parents were adults who had responsibilities rather than staff who provided 24/7 entertainment and all-inclusive catering. :dunno: 

I know I know children are different these days and everybody has their own style of parenting and that’s just fine and I pass no judgement on any child who’s bored in quarantine, it’s a difficult time for everybody, and I’m only speaking from my experiences as an introverted and well-behaved kiddy. But the fact that the media makes the entertainment of school children a global societal issue just irked me too much to not have a rant. Kids aren’t stupid, they’ll be fine. They have toys and a brain, and boredom is often great breeding ground for creativity, free play is good for them. Why put more pressure on parents? Don’t they have enough on their plates? :dunno: 

(I hope I didn’t step on anybody’s toes, that was absolutely not the intent, I just can’t believe how the most self explanatory things can make it into this-is-another-thing-you-should-stress-about content)

So I have a cavity.  Probably more than one and need to make a dentist appointment.  I have been trying to stop drinking sugary drinks even though I love them.  So I stopped buying Pellegrinos and instead bought some Talking Rain seltzer water.  It is not good.  I looked around on the internet and found that absolutely no drinks are good for teeth.  Milk which is like digesting lava or water is all you got.  So water it is.  Also green and black teas are okay I read.  I also found that if I fill a glass about a third way with OJ and then the rest Talking Rain is is pretty delicious.  Of course...juice is another bad drink with a lot of sugar. 

Maybe it's because I grew up vegetarian but imo making food where you substitute the meat for a vegetarian substitute seems so...limiting. I'd rather one tries to make the plethora of vegetarian food that isn't just 'hey, I substituted the meatballs with vegetarian ones etc'

Archived