Small Unworthy Things, Once More, With Feeling!

Fragile Bird

Donuts are like men--a good idea in theory but always disappointing in practice.

Tonight I am thinking of character dichotomies.  Particularly Thinkers vs. Doers.  In the Ken Burns Civil War series he speaks of a young man version of Custer, the general is speculating on the depth of a creek or river and Custer wades his horse out into it, proclaiming "this is how deep it is."  In this particular example Custer is the hero.

With regards to GRRM we have Jaime vs. Tyrion.  Jaime is always characterized as someone who acts first and questions later but in the episode where he saves Brienne from the bear...maybe not.

In this dichotomy there can be no question that I am a thinker and the doers are generally more lauded.  Tonight the question is "should I feel bad about myself because I am a thinker?"  We love doers more but we need thinkers so I am both essential and disdained.

1 hour ago, litechick said:

Donuts are like men--a good idea in theory but always disappointing in practice.

Tonight I am thinking of character dichotomies.  Particularly Thinkers vs. Doers.  In the Ken Burns Civil War series he speaks of a young man version of Custer, the general is speculating on the depth of a creek or river and Custer wades his horse out into it, proclaiming "this is how deep it is."  In this particular example Custer is the hero.

With regards to GRRM we have Jaime vs. Tyrion.  Jaime is always characterized as someone who acts first and questions later but in the episode where he saves Brienne from the bear...maybe not.

In this dichotomy there can be no question that I am a thinker and the doers are generally more lauded.  Tonight the question is "should I feel bad about myself because I am a thinker?"  We love doers more but we need thinkers so I am both essential and disdained.

Custer as a doer led his men into a battle he could never win. In the long run, thinkers prosper over doers. 

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

My feet were where my pillow should have been. Oddly I somehow took the pillow with me as I contorted. 

Sometimes when aliens return the people they've abducted during the night they forget to note down their original orientation.

Just now, williamjm said:

Sometimes when aliens return the people they've abducted during the night they forget to note down their original orientation.

If he complains about his butt being sore..... 

11 hours ago, Inkdaub said:

I have a dentist appointment on Monday.  I have two cavities I can identify so further appointments will result.

Ugh. The dentist. I have at least two cavities I know of as well, but I don’t want to pay for them right now.

Good luck on Monday!

10 hours ago, KingintheNorth4 said:

If there's one bright spot in 2020, it's this:

The McRib is back. 

Gross!

1 hour ago, Raja said:

I've done it again. Feel like I can clean my apartment twice.

You're a drug addict. :P

Does anybody ever overthink gift giving to the same extent I do? 

I had no idea what to give to my father, then while browsing for anything hunting related, I stumbled upon a catalogue from a world hunting exhibition from 1971. Okay, but what good is 1971, I thought. It should be from the year he was born or some other somehow significant year. Of course it turned out that there wasn’t a world exhibition for hunting every damn year in this pea sized country, so I had to give up on that. But it inspired me to search for more antique hunting related publications. And then I found this collection of hunting magazine from 1934, he is subscribed to the modern version of this magazine and like 5 years ago he was actually happy to receive a yearly subscription of it from my mother. I thought this was quite cool because the book collects all 36 issues from 1934 and the editor (and possibly founder of this magazine) is a well known and accomplished explorer/writer/scientist (I could go on) so I just felt like I would love to receive this thing even though I’ve got nothing to do with hunting. And then I spiraled into the perfectionism again. Why 1934, why can’t it be 1920 or 1921 and then it’d be a century old and of course I can’t find a 20 or 21 edition of this thing and now I’m second guessing it it makes any sense to get this collection from a random year. Conclusion: I’m an idiot. 

On 12/7/2020 at 4:59 AM, RhaenysBee said:

Does anybody ever overthink gift giving to the same extent I do? 

I had no idea what to give to my father, then while browsing for anything hunting related, I stumbled upon a catalogue from a world hunting exhibition from 1971. Okay, but what good is 1971, I thought. It should be from the year he was born or some other somehow significant year. Of course it turned out that there wasn’t a world exhibition for hunting every damn year in this pea sized country, so I had to give up on that. But it inspired me to search for more antique hunting related publications. And then I found this collection of hunting magazine from 1934, he is subscribed to the modern version of this magazine and like 5 years ago he was actually happy to receive a yearly subscription of it from my mother. I thought this was quite cool because the book collects all 36 issues from 1934 and the editor (and possibly founder of this magazine) is a well known and accomplished explorer/writer/scientist (I could go on) so I just felt like I would love to receive this thing even though I’ve got nothing to do with hunting. And then I spiraled into the perfectionism again. Why 1934, why can’t it be 1920 or 1921 and then it’d be a century old and of course I can’t find a 20 or 21 edition of this thing and now I’m second guessing it it makes any sense to get this collection from a random year. Conclusion: I’m an idiot. 

It tends to be quite common for intelligent people to overthink. That is why we have emotions to help us decide which way to jump. This is also a good argument as to why AI will never amount too much as some problems are too big to solve by just thinking. 

I do enjoy reading your posts just in case you wonder if anyone is listening. 

5 hours ago, maarsen said:

It tends to be quite common for intelligent people to overthink. That is why we have emotions to help us decide which way to jump. This is also a good argument as to why AI will never amount too much as some problems are too big to solve by just thinking. 

I do enjoy reading your posts just in case you wonder if anyone is listening. 

Well I followed my emotion and ordered a collection of 1926 issues because I think it’s cool and I’d be happy to receive it. AI is painfully overrated then again I’m only a dumb user with virtually zero tech aptitude. 

Oh my, how sweet you are! Thank you! To be honest, I don’t necessarily mind if nobody’s listening, I usually post for my own entertainment/emotional incontinence. But it’s definitely nice to know that someone out there enjoys my brain dumps or at least, you know, isn’t annoyed by them. Thank you very much for your feedback.

Archived