Small Unworthy Things, Once More, With Feeling!

Fragile Bird

7 hours ago, maarsen said:

If it has a DC motor for speed control, it just needs new brushes. 

My dad used to pick power tools out of the trash and check the brushes.  He pretty much funded his beer habit during some lean times by just changing brushes on discarded circular saws and re-selling them.  

In other news, I am reunited with my best friend, my 15 year old dog Darcy after 10 days of my mom taking care of her.  My roommate was out of town for family bereavement and we have a pet care / share situation, and I finally have some work but it was about an hour commute, so this was what worked.  Darcy is super healthy for her age but I was terrified the entire time that she might die when I wasn't there.  Just made the three hour drive and back and I think I won't have nightmares tonight.  Well, dog related ones anyway.

A topic not worthy of it's own thread, but interesting anyway. Apparently people across North America are receiving unsolicited packages of seeds from China. Officials in both Canada and the US are warning the public not to plant them, because there is a fear the seeds may produce plants that are invasive to North America and harm our agricultural system in the future.

Pretty fucking clever under-the-radar way to attack this continent, if you ask me!

Is this happening in Europe as well?

Considering that the Chinese import large quantities of food from around the world, what a way to shoot yourself in the foot, in the long run.

Interestingly mysterious!  I am curious that some of them were labelled as jewellery.  I actually ordered some courgette seeds from amazon a few months ago, not realising that they came from a long way away (Malaysia I think), and they were labelled as jewellery too.  I wondered if something dodgy was going on, but they looked like courgette seeds (I haven't planted them yet due to lingering paranoia).  So I thought they might have been labelled as jewellery because of customs regulations - that probably seeds aren't supposed to be sent without special license or whatever, so if they were labelled as jewellery the customs people wouldn't know.  Is that plausible?  It could explain this case too.  (Well, not why the seeds are being sent, but the mislabelling)

16 minutes ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

The CNN article explains why the seeds noted are likely labeled as jewelry. 

Well, it speculates, that it could be these were the items that it was going to claim had been sent, for these 'brushing' reviews, but it seemed a very weak argument (for the labelling).  I was offering an alternative speculation ;)

Regarding my own (ordered) seeds I just went back and saw some more recent reviews including someone who noticed that the seeds came via Malaysia bur originated in China and actually checked with the Royal Horticultural Society who said "It is probably illegal to grow these seeds - the rules are complex. In any case we discourage the cultivation of seeds of unknown origin in case they transmit disease."  Thanks to this thread for helping me confirm that I'm not planting my seeds.  I hope the US seed mystery is tracked down to its origins.

1 hour ago, Sophelia said:

Interestingly mysterious!  I am curious that some of them were labelled as jewellery.  I actually ordered some courgette seeds from amazon a few months ago, not realising that they came from a long way away (Malaysia I think), and they were labelled as jewellery too.  I wondered if something dodgy was going on, but they looked like courgette seeds (I haven't planted them yet due to lingering paranoia).  So I thought they might have been labelled as jewellery because of customs regulations - that probably seeds aren't supposed to be sent without special license or whatever, so if they were labelled as jewellery the customs people wouldn't know.  Is that plausible?  It could explain this case too.  (Well, not why the seeds are being sent, but the mislabelling)

I think you're right the jewelry label is due to customs, especially if it has to pass through California.  They strictly monitor all incoming plants and wouldn't be surprised if that applies to seeds, at least in principle.  

In 2008 the nursery I worked at in San Diego had to destroy all of our citrus plants because there was some invasive bug down near the border, Dept. of Agriculture sat there and watched us cut them off below the graft, and then counted the root stocks and matched them to our inventory.  If any where missing it was a fine.  They won't let you transport plants I to the state in a car without an inspection.  

In other weird shipping news, the NRA encourages people to ship guns as "machine parts" to avoid extra attention.

ETA: and I'm sure California isn't the only place to do this

Sometimes you can mishear things and it's just so magical. What was said was "Our new neighbors are having a first party."

While watching a movie clip, I thought she said they were "having a furry party," which made me have to ask "outside?" 

We both had a good laugh, and our first thoughts were "so would you record that or just take pictures?"

19 minutes ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

Well, most of the furries I’ve ever seen would be lining up to “record that”

But all I’ve ever seen is a bunch of pervy old men drawing foxes with human female bodies, so ymmv

Well, I have had sex in front of a large group of strangers before, so I'd have to at least pause before making a decision.

But yeah, otherwise when you go down some of these roads, it takes you to places that were no where near as fun as what you had in your mind.

14 minutes ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

I have, too. Orgy room at the Trapeze. But Timmy the bouncer makes sure no one has recording devices (and where would you hide them???) 

pausing. Still wouldn’t think twice about it, at least not in the Trapeze orgy room.

am I missing something?

This unheard of den of evil sounds delightful. Maybe I would enjoy it. Maybe I wouldn't. But I'd go in without judgement. At least if I went alone or with a date that wasn't serious. 

Sometimes you can't have what you want. Damn that costs a lot more than I expected, and it took forever to find one.

https://classics.autotrader.com/classic-cars/1991/acura/nsx/101130160

My G35x could probably carve it up, but damn I love that car.

Everyone in england thinks I sound American. It amuses me because no one in the US thought that! I'm Indian but I've grown up in a bunch of different countries and think I have a fairly neutral accent that is hard to place!

3 hours ago, Inkdaub said:

I bought an electric kettle and it heated water almost instantly.  Less than a minute easily.  I'm a little unsettled by the thing. 

We've had them all my life. Boiling water on the stove seems...quaint, to me!

7 hours ago, Inkdaub said:

I bought an electric kettle and it heated water almost instantly.  Less than a minute easily.  I'm a little unsettled by the thing. 

I got one about a year ago and I fucking love it.  Especially this time of year when turning on the stove seems to make the entire house go up 10 degrees.

52 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

I got one about a year ago and I fucking love it.

I'm a recent convert too.  Been boiling on a stove top since forever.  My only (laughable) complaint is that it threw my morning coffee/breakfast/lunch prep routine into disarray.  Now, I have to step off in the middle of sammy fixin to go fill the press.   

On a somewhat related note:  I invented a new way of fucking up my morning coffee prep.  I thought I'd covered all the various iterations of wrong, but, nope.  This morning I took the bag of grounds out of the freezer intending to refill the sealed bin at my coffee station, and instead of doing that I proceeded to dump 2 cups of grounds straight into the French press.  

Sometimes its hard to make coffee before you've had any coffee.

2 minutes ago, The Mance said:

I'm a recent convert too.  Been boiling on a stove top since forever.  My only (laughable) complaint is that it threw my morning coffee/breakfast/lunch prep routine into disarray.  Now, I have to step off in the middle of sammy fixin to go fill the press.   

On a somewhat related note:  I invented a new way of fucking up my morning coffee prep.  I thought I'd covered all the various iterations of wrong, but, nope.  This morning I took the bag of grounds out of the freezer intending to refill the sealed bin at my coffee station, and instead of doing that I proceeded to dump 2 cups of grounds straight into the French press.  

Sometimes its hard to make coffee before you've had any coffee.

A couple weeks ago I dumped whole beans into the filter without grinding them and stared, confused and curious, at the barely darkened water filling the pot until I realized what I'd done.  And yeah the electric one is crap for multitasking

Archived