Video Games: Mystery Box Character Creation

Jace, Extat

Between preparing to defend my comps proposal and teaching summer courses, I've been so busy, but still finding times to squeeze in gaming. For the Steam sale, I saw they were offering 5 dollars off your first purchase of 30 dollars, so I decided to make my spending limit this summer at 30 dollars. I ended up with like five games, plus a sixth one on a credit I already had. Worked out nice. I finally jumped into Mount and Blade Warband, and it's pretty fun. Obviously super old, but it's one of those games (kind of like Morrowind) that fills my imagination with the possibility of what games might become. Elder Scrolls obviously decided to not push forward, but Mount and Blade just has a lot of potential to become really great. I also got 7 Days to Die which is fun so far, Kenshi which has hooked me, Star Ocean 4 (because I'm a sucker for the series and this is the only one on PC, though I've never been able to get far in this one due to boredom). I haven't tried State of Decay, Lisa, or white noise yet (not sure why I got the last one, it must have been 2 bucks or something). But I really love how I kept to a budget and walked away with a handful of games I'm really enjoying so far.

Between Kenshi and 7 Days, I might not get to the others for awhile. Kenshi is great for when I'm grading. I just run it in the background while things are building/jobs are being done, etc. 

On 7/16/2020 at 2:35 PM, Rhom said:

Further down in the Tweets that came up when I clicked on that link was this nugget:

He has now officially passed Christopher Reeve as my favorite Superman.  (Even though I really didn't like Man of Steel... or Batman vs Superman... and haven't watched Justice League...)

I used to not like him (purely from playing Superman, nothing personal), but he's so great. Every time I hear that story about him playing WOW and almost missing out on a job made him instantly relatable. Plus, he did so good as Geralt. I expected to like him the least because I have such an attachment to the video game version, and he just knocked it out of the park. 

ETA: I'd love to see him play Superman again under a different director. I'm sure he'd be great.

2 hours ago, Simon Steele said:

Between preparing to defend my comps proposal and teaching summer courses, I've been so busy, but still finding times to squeeze in gaming. For the Steam sale, I saw they were offering 5 dollars off your first purchase of 30 dollars, so I decided to make my spending limit this summer at 30 dollars. I ended up with like five games, plus a sixth one on a credit I already had. Worked out nice. I finally jumped into Mount and Blade Warband, and it's pretty fun. Obviously super old, but it's one of those games (kind of like Morrowind) that fills my imagination with the possibility of what games might become. Elder Scrolls obviously decided to not push forward, but Mount and Blade just has a lot of potential to become really great. I also got 7 Days to Die which is fun so far, Kenshi which has hooked me, Star Ocean 4 (because I'm a sucker for the series and this is the only one on PC, though I've never been able to get far in this one due to boredom). I haven't tried State of Decay, Lisa, or white noise yet (not sure why I got the last one, it must have been 2 bucks or something). But I really love how I kept to a budget and walked away with a handful of games I'm really enjoying so far.

Between Kenshi and 7 Days, I might not get to the others for awhile. Kenshi is great for when I'm grading. I just run it in the background while things are building/jobs are being done, etc. 

I don't even want to look at how many hours I put into Kenshi. Such a great game. So many hours spent trying to get Beep to lose his limbs so I could replace them with robot limbs. But that was before I met the skin bandits and their peeler machine...

I dunno if you've encountered them yet but they're worth seeking out. 

Just a bunch of

robots who wear human skin suits and will usually try to make you into a skin suit. But the peeler machine makes it easy to remove someone's limbs for the purposes of self improvement.

1 hour ago, The Grey Wolf said:

Spider-Man's way tougher than I expected.

I was initially surprised by the difficulty curve as well.  Eventually it levels out some.

6 hours ago, Simon Steele said:

Star Ocean 4 (because I'm a sucker for the series and this is the only one on PC, though I've never been able to get far in this one due to boredom).

I played SO First Departure on the Switch earlier this year and then finally played SO3.  Was planning to get into SO4 and 5 next, but got distracted by the Trails games.

I played like 4 hours of Ghost of Tsushima and it’s getting fun as hell. I’ve basically just been exploring and getting used to the controls. I just got my 2nd stance which has its uses against certain enemies. It’s a beautiful game and living up to the hype so far. 

My only complaint is that the camera is too close for my liking, and it goes a little crazy during combat sometimes. 

1 hour ago, Ramsay B. said:

I played like 4 hours of Ghost of Tsushima and it’s getting fun as hell. I’ve basically just been exploring and getting used to the controls. I just got my 2nd stance which has its uses against certain enemies. It’s a beautiful game and living up to the hype so far. 

My only complaint is that the camera is too close for my liking, and it goes a little crazy during combat sometimes. 

What is the combat like?

I have Ghost of Tsushima on my console so I'll try it whatever the case, but I really hope the words 'dark' and souls' never come up in descriptions.  Of any game.

Still playing LoU2 for now, though.

2 minutes ago, Inkdaub said:

I have Ghost of Tsushima on my console so I'll try it whatever the case, but I really hope the words 'dark' and souls' never come up in descriptions.  Of any game.

Still playing LoU2 for now, though.

Shouldn't in this game. I'm not finding it like Dark Souls or any of their games. This is a bit easier. Enjoying it so far, played it as a break from LOTU2 which is just relentlessly grim.

3 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Shouldn't in this game. I'm not finding it like Dark Souls or any of their games. This is a bit easier. Enjoying it so far, played it as a break from LOTU2 which is just relentlessly grim.

This is what I've heard and it sounds great.  I'm looking forward to it. 

I had such noble plans to work through my Steam backlog this summer... I finished The Outer Wilds and was going to play Subnautica or Disco Elysium next. Instead, here I am starting a new Stardew Valley farm and playing through another Europa Universalis IV game. Woops...

In addition to finishing Desperados 3, I also finished Devil May Cry 5. I have no idea what happened in that game, but it was fun to see and play. I'm glad I got it cheap though, it did not feel like a $60 game.

I dropped Oxygen Not Included; I think you need to invest way more time than I'm willing to do. I spent a ton of effort setting up a filtration system to get polluted water out of water.  And I thought I was being really clever, but it did nothing and for unclear reasons.

Dropped Skyrim too. Got my fill after 15 hours. Its still that game.

Still playing Vesteria Saga and Wolcen, but im trying, and failing, to find a bigger, "spectacle" game to play too. I tried FFXV for about an hour, but I don't think its the game for me. Also picked a game from my backlog, Mirrors Edge. Played for about 2 hours, but it didn't do much for me either.

Pondering next game. Finished my replay of Freespace 2, polished off Desperados III, looking at other options. Might go back to my Fallout 4 playthrough but a ton of new games beckon.

Picked up American Truck Simulator very cheap and been meaning to try that with the Optimus Prime cab mod :)

20 hours ago, Rhom said:

I played SO First Departure on the Switch earlier this year and then finally played SO3.  Was planning to get into SO4 and 5 next, but got distracted by the Trails games.

I think SO3 is the best there is for that series. SO4, so far, has been fairly lackluster, though I'm plowing ahead to see if it breaks open. I need to get back to Tales!

On 7/19/2020 at 1:27 PM, RumHam said:

I don't even want to look at how many hours I put into Kenshi. Such a great game. So many hours spent trying to get Beep to lose his limbs so I could replace them with robot limbs. But that was before I met the skin bandits and their peeler machine...

I dunno if you've encountered them yet but they're worth seeking out. 

Reveal hidden contents

Just a bunch of

robots who wear human skin suits and will usually try to make you into a skin suit. But the peeler machine makes it easy to remove someone's limbs for the purposes of self improvement.

Holy shit! I had no idea these things were possible. This game is so addictive.

10 hours ago, Rhom said:

What is the combat like?

It’s fun and feels really fluid. Kinda reminds me of an easier Sekiro, with the blocking and parrying. You don’t have to be as precise as Sekiro though. Some enemies have blockable attacks, some only dodge and some both. You start with a base stance and get different ones as the game goes on that can deal with different enemies. I just got a certain stance that deals with shielded enemies that obviously comes in handy. 

I switched it to hard and the only time I’ve had difficulty is when I get overwhelmed with enemies thus far. I try to do stealth as much as possible but sometimes you come upon a small group and I can’t resist to use the standoff option. 

Like I said before, the camera can get a little wonky sometimes during combat. 

2 hours ago, Simon Steele said:

Holy shit! I had no idea these things were possible. This game is so addictive.

The first time I played it like rimworld or any other "manage a group of people who have to do things" game but once you get the hang of automating things I highly recommend forming a party of your favorites and just exploring the world like it's an RPG. ...which it is!

Archived