Video Games: Mystery Box Character Creation

Jace, Extat

43 minutes ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Baldur’s Gate had this sorted 20 years ago, with Boo.

Sort of, although BG didn't create the concept (miniature giant space hamsters appeared almost a decade earlier in Spelljammer) and it didn't really show Boo up close. Apart from a couple of mentions of his antics by Minsc and that "squeak" sound effect in the inventory, he didn't really do anything. Both Baby Displacer Beast (urgh) and Baby Owlbear look like being much more omnipresent in BG3.

Boo is also going to show up again in BG3 (which they haven't 100% confirmed, but the fact that recent D&D comics and adventure modules confirmed that Minsc and Boo were time-warped into the appropriate time setting for the video game, it's pretty obvious).

14 hours ago, Werthead said:

Yeah, Subnautica actually having a point to all the crafting stuff rather than crafting for its own sake is one of the best things about it. Also not being the longest game in the world (I think you can complete it in 20-25 hours if you really go for it) and having a tremendous sense of self and place.

My main complaint about it is that it has various graphical problems (like how it handles pop-in as you descend to the seabed) that have never been fixed, and the impending sequel looks a bit too much of more of the same rather than taking bigger steps in a new direction.

I am starting to get the urge to play it again, which is bad given the impending release of two massive timesink RPGs, not to mention the new Frostpunk expansion came out yesterday.

Below Zero does focus more on the story, (at least it did at the point of my last time playing it several months ago) but yes it is largely just a polish of the original premise. Which I'm find with personally, I happily spent hundreds of hours exploring in Subnautica, and if the whole game had just been documenting the biodiversity of the planet that would have been fine by me.

Started Atom RPG, which I picked up in a GoG sale a couple of months ago. It's a game heavily inspired by the original two Fallout games, set in post-apocalyptic USSR in an alternate-history 2004, in a timeline where USA and USSR nuked each other in 1986.

I finished the first settlement yesterday, and it's a surprisingly good game, despite a silly name and its mechanics being almost entirely lifted from Fallout.

It takes effort to fix a lot of things that always felt "off" about Fallout. Its apocalypse happened only 19 years ago, so it's logical that it still looms large for everyone. There aren't tons of ammo lying around - ammo is sold by the bullet, and one of my quest rewards was a pistol with 4 bullets in it (it has space for 7). My other firearm is a rifle with 1 bullet, so you are forced to rely on melee for combat.

It also provides a plausible explanation for your status in the early game - you were supposed to start fully equipped, but you get robbed by bandits at the beginning. Carry weights are realistic, so you are strongly encouraged to maintain stashes. All in all, looking forward to the rest of its.

I'm sceptical about BG3 although I will give it a try. Would be nice to see some old characters again although I was happy with the endings they got in ToB. A return of Viconia would be nice though. 

I liked most of the party members from BG2 although Cernd, Anomen, Nalia and Valygar were a bit boring. Although crazy Anomen was kinda fun. 

Edwin(a), Jan, Viconia, Keldorn and Korgan were my favorites.

Grabbed Rogue Legacy 2 which just entered early access.

Not gonna judge it completely based on the limited content available thus far but I think I can pretty confidently talk about how the gameplay feels which is to say pretty much identical to the original Rogue Legacy. That's not bad as such, I mean it's... fine, but after nearly a decade of similar games improving on the formula it does feel like a bit of a step back; in particular it doesn't do well in the comparison with my go-to roguelike Dead Cells, which admittedly has the best, most fluid and responsive feeling combat I've ever experienced in a similar game.

15 hours ago, Stannis Eats No Peaches said:

Build a scanning room and have it search for wrecks and blueprints. The scanning room makes everything easier.

I found all the fragments for this yesterday and finally built a habitat builder, so I'll make that my priority. Thanks!

I finally made up my mind and bought the new Avengers game.  I read it has a good solo campaign plus co-op/group play if you want it.  I hope the solo play is good...but I hoped the same for Anthem.  We'll see. 

I also got a new nicer controller.  I know it's nicer because it is heavier and has a little case so I can carry it around with me for whatever reason.

Activision confirming that their PS5/XBX games will be $69.99 on release, which is likely to be the new industry standard. No doubt - because how video game prices translate from one currency to another is completely at odds with actual exchange rates - that'll be £69.99 here.

That means the price of a video game here will have approximately doubled in a decade, extremely far above the rate of inflation.

30 minutes ago, Werthead said:

That means the price of a video game here will have approximately doubled in a decade, extremely far above the rate of inflation.

That's crazy. Especially considering many games get you with DLC or in game purchases too. Plus at least Microsoft and Nintendo require a subscription for almost all online play. 

I suspect these high prices will be used to try to get more and more people to sign up to services like X-Box Game Pass and PS Now (which they'll likely start expanding).

I must admit that as much as I like owning my games, for the cost of £1 on the MS Game Pass introductory offer, I could have saved £109 on the combined price of MS Flight Simulator and Wasteland 3. Even if I drifted into a second month to finish off Wasteland 3, that's still only be another £10.

That's how they get you, of course.

But have games really gone up in price?  I remember buying NES games (well... grandma bought them, but you get the idea) for $50.  Most new releases today are still $50 or at most $59.

Yes theres DLC and the entire “games as a service” mentality, but the base price of games really hasn’t changed in 30 years.

I remember a few exceptions, Phantasty Star IV was $100, but most have stuck to it.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Ugh, I bought my PS4 a year and a half ago and the 5 looks like it will come out sooner than later. Maybe I can pawn it for half the cost and....

Nah, man. There's all kinds of great games for your PS4.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Sadly it's mostly just used to watch Netflix/Disney+/Hulu/Internet workout videos. I barely game. 

You know... a Roku is cheaper.

3 hours ago, Rhom said:

You know... a Roku is cheaper.

Eh, it's such a massive improvement over my old Blu-ray player, so it was well worth it, but I was under the impression that the 5 was just an idea that was many years away off when I bought it.

Archived