Worldcon 2022 -- Chicago

Jeddah has no chance. Well-meaning guys but very clear they have no idea what it takes to run a Worldcon, and the problems a large part of the membership would face attending (accessibility issues just to name the most benign of them).

I wonder what the odds are of back-to-back European cons (Nice 2023 and Glasgow 2024)...

I just want to know who went to a WorldCon and thought 'this is an event that will do well in a country that outlaws queerness, idolatry and immodest clothing'. That's like 80% of the entire event right there. :p

9 hours ago, mormont said:

I just want to know who went to a WorldCon and thought 'this is an event that will do well in a country that outlaws queerness, idolatry and immodest clothing'. That's like 80% of the entire event right there. :p

One also wonders how welcome fans who are Jewish -- either by faith or ancestry -- would feel there.

I suspect they are very naïve about these things, and are genuinely well-meaning but just don't really understand the vast issues. I know at least one of the organizers is someone who has attended some Western cons, so he knows what the make up of these things is like, but... it just hasn't sunk in.

It'll be Chicago.

• 2 weeks later...

My original plan had been to go to DC but that's being rewritten quickly because at the moment there's an excellent chance the pandemic will still be raging out of control in the US in a year's time. So holding fire to see what happens, and hopefully the next WorldCon I go to won't be as far off as Glasgow 2024 (and the fact that is now closer than London 2014 was is a bit weird).

Edited by Werthead

2 hours ago, Werthead said:

My original plan had been to go to DC but that's being rewritten quickly because at the moment there's an excellent chance the pandemic will still be raging out of control in the US in a year's time. So holding fire to see what happens, and hopefully the next WorldCon I go to won't be as far off as Glasgow 2024 (and the fact that is now closer than London 2014 was is a bit weird).

I had been considering possibly going to DC as well, but with things as they are I'm definitely not going to be making any plans. I've never been to Chicago so if that presumably gets 2022 I might consider that.

Well I am somewhat amazed to see how time has flown by and Worldcon is already possibly coming back to Chicago.  It seems like you all were just here for Chicon 7!  No surprise, I am hoping for Chicago for 2022 and hope this virus is contained by then and hope to see many of you here!

• 2 weeks later...

GRRM will be happy that it's a Labor Day weekend event. (September 1-5, 2022)

Guests of Honor:
Author -- Charles de Lint
Artist -- Floyd Norman
Fan -- Edie Stern & Joe Siclari
First Fandom -- Erle Korshak

Toastmasters: Annalee Newitz & Charlie Jane Anders

Hotel: Hyatt Regency Chicago
Room rate is US $160/night for single, double, triple, or quad, plus 17.38% tax, for a total of US $187.78/night.
Internet is free.

Well naturally I am happy.  I hope by 2022 the virus is behind us and the borders are open again and that people will want to come to the US.

I also hope that the skyrocketing crime we have had in downtown Chicago this summer goes back down to normal levels of crime.  Just outside the Hyatt Regency this past month along Wacker Drive we've had armed robberies, carjackings, stabbings, and shootings.  Very unusual for this neighborhood.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 8/4/2020 at 12:45 PM, Padraig said:

Really sad to miss NZ this year.  I hope DC and Chicago can happen.  :)

Then it's Memphis v Chengdu for 2023.  

Neither of the 2023 options really appeals to me, TBH. I wonder where the NASFiC will be if Chengdu wins.