Why was a kingsgaurd not required to defend Joff

Against Tyrion and his champion Oberyn why did it not have to be a kingsgaurd? It was a trial to prosecute The kings Murderer or even if you look at it as it was Cerci's champion (I thought she says as much when Tyrion chooses Trial by combat, Cerci says somthing like "ser Gregor returned to pledge his sword to my service" so it this was her champion it still should have had to be a kingsgaurd member as this turns into a large plot point layer for Cerci and Margerys trial

1 hour ago, Stannis th3 Mannis said:

Against Tyrion and his champion Oberyn why did it not have to be a kingsgaurd? It was a trial to prosecute The kings Murderer or even if you look at it as it was Cerci's champion (I thought she says as much when Tyrion chooses Trial by combat, Cerci says somthing like "ser Gregor returned to pledge his sword to my service" so it this was her champion it still should have had to be a kingsgaurd member as this turns into a large plot point layer for Cerci and Margerys trial

I always assumed that Cersei and Tywin ignored the rules to make doubly sure that Tyrion was found guilty. They both want him gone for good.

9 minutes ago, James Steller said:

I always assumed that Cersei and Tywin ignored the rules to make doubly sure that Tyrion was found guilty. They both want him gone for good.

I'd agree. Moreover, look at the remaining Kingsguard members. Trant, Blunt, one-handed Jaime, way off in Dorne Swan, that Kettleblack mediocrity, Loras "of dubious loyalty to House Lannister" Tyrell. No wonder Tywin allowed Cersei to bend the rules.

This was a good catch! I'd never even thought of it before.

2 hours ago, Stannis th3 Mannis said:

The Lannnisters know no person can defeat Gregor.  They were in it to win.  

32 minutes ago, Ser Leftwich said:

A KG only has to act as defense when a member of the royal family is accused of the crime, not when the royal family is accusing someone of a crime.

To be more specific, a Kingsguard has to champion the honor of a queen, not just every member of the royal family.

Although I doubt that is a very fixed general rule. Queen Alysanne would have likely used her own sworn shield, the Scarlet Shadow, to defend her in a similar situation. I'd assume this kind of thing started with the Naerys-Aemon business, especially since there is no indication that any other queen but Naerys was ever accused of a crime while queen.

10 hours ago, Ser Leftwich said:

A KG only has to act as defense when a member of the royal family is accused of the crime, not when the royal family is accusing someone of a crime.

Yep, Gregor wasn't defending either Cersei or Joffrey at Tyrion's trial.  Neither Cersei or Joffrey would have faced punishment if Gregor lost.  Countary, if Cersei/Margaery's champion loses in their trials then they would be punished thus their acts are in defense of the queen.

Archived