Third Quarter 2020 Reading is a Joy

Peadar

My daughter is interested in the new movie adaptation of Dune coming out, so I read the book for the first time this month.  One of my roommates in high school always championed the book, and he would take it with him on long road trips to away games, but I never read it.  Probably because of this awesome movie, but upon reading it myself for the first time, it was fine.

Large sections of the plot are revealed via inner dialog during dinners or meetings, and while that isn't my favorite aspect of the book, Herbert knew how to write.  Technically I thought it was a terrific, professional book, and from an historical view I can see why it helped spark the environmental movement within sci-fi.

The book ends with a sort of a clang, and no doubt true believers would seek out the next installment of his books to pursue the story.  I am satisfied to have finally done what I should have done thirty-five years ago.

I have to say that the book is not at all like this awesome movie, but that is probably in the book's favor.

I finished listening to Heartless, which was good but not great, largely because I think the author failed in making the pre-Queen of Hearts character sympathetic and compelling. But had lots of fun bits, and made me want to re-read Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass.

Now I'm listening to The Buried Giant by Kazuo Ishiguro. I have very little idea what this book is about, and I'm only a bit into it, but it's intriguing so far. The main characters are an elderly couple living in a remote village in ancient Britain who have trouble remembering things, which seems to be an issue endemic to the village and not to this couple's age. Curious to see where it goes!

Just finished a re-read of Peadar's The Call.  Liked it just as much this time as last time.  I especially loved the chapters when the kids are called into the Grey Land.  Somehow I missed that there was a sequel.  Just purchased that (The Invasion) and will be reading it next.

Wrapped up Windhaven, which I have had on the To Read pile for quite a while and have interrupted on a few occasions for other, more pressing books.  Overall, I enjoyed it - overall a simply, optimistic story - perhaps quaint and charming is the best description.  

With the ongoing decent into madness of the US, I decided now was a good time to refresh myself on Donaldson's Thomas Covenant books.  Nothing like a reminder of what despair really is.  Lord Foul's Bane is, I think, one of the only books that I've literally read the covers off.  

14 hours ago, mushroomshirt said:

Just finished a re-read of Peadar's The Call.  Liked it just as much this time as last time.  I especially loved the chapters when the kids are called into the Grey Land.  Somehow I missed that there was a sequel.  Just purchased that (The Invasion) and will be reading it next.

You are most kind, sir! I hope you enjoy it.

For me, I'm still reading and enjoying The Trouble With Peace by Joe Abercrombie. I'm pretty sure I spotted a gigantic reference to Brexit...

I just finished The Poppy War by RF Kuang. Great book, idk why I didn't read it earlier.

I was laughing a bit at one of the characters being named Nezha. I mean, it's so cuuuuuute! I'm not sure if non-Chinese people know about Nezha but he's a mythological figure who is often depicted as a young, playful boy child. *laughs*

Anyway, I'm off to read the second books.

This is an ending spoiler, you might not want to read this:

Spoiler

It looks like this was inspired by WWII. When I realized that the "Federation" were a fantasy Japan counterpart, I was already expecting the fantasy Hiroshima/Nagasaki and it turns out I was right.

Speculation/prediction about the next book.

Spoiler

As for what is going to happen in the next book, hmm. The Dragon General seems rather poised to take over since, well, the Dragon is the symbol of the Emperor and Imperial power. However, the Phoenix is the symbol of the Empress. I don't expect Rin to become Empress, I'm saying that the Dragon and Phoenix symbolically belong together.

Probably Nikan (fantasy China) will split into two warring factions with the losing one retreating to Speer (fantasy Taiwan).

As for the Empress, Su Daji,

Spoiler

mythologically the fox spirit Daji was executed/exorcised by Jiang so...

I'm off to read more! The third and final book is due for release in November.

Hilary Mantell shows that classy is as classy does:

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2020/sep/25/hilary-mantel-i-am-disappointed-but-freed-by-booker-decision

“I respect the judges’ decision because I’ve been a judge and it’s very hard. I accept that books are born in a certain cultural moment. They surf on the tide of the times. In some ways I feel freed, too. I think the trilogy is built to last,” Mantel told the Guardian. “There’s nothing I can say except to congratulate everyone on the shortlist.”

9 hours ago, Zorral said:

Uh, isn't this the reading thread? Did you accidentally post on the wrong thread?

I'm sorry, but I hope we don't start discussing other things here since the other threads are already full of political stuff.

8 hours ago, Gigei said:

Uh, isn't this the reading thread? Did you accidentally post on the wrong thread?

I'm sorry, but I hope we don't start discussing other things here since the other threads are already full of political stuff.

I suppose every aspect of life has its own "politics" but I don't see how the Booker Prize is "political stuff".  I think this fits into this thread because the reading of that particular book was very recently discussed here. 

1 hour ago, Ormond said:

I suppose every aspect of life has its own "politics" but I don't see how the Booker Prize is "political stuff".  I think this fits into this thread because the reading of that particular book was very recently discussed here. 

You linked to a political article about how all the British authors have gotten pushed out of the prize by judges who want more diversity. And yes, the Booker Prize is 100% political. Even your quote about "a certain cultural moment" is political. 

Well, I guess you can post whatever you want but, generally, the posts here are specifically about the books and there are dedicated threads for prizes and other things.

This is the "what I am reading" thread not "the current political landscape in lit prizes."

24 minutes ago, Gigei said:

You linked to a political article about how all the British authors have gotten pushed out of the prize by judges who want more diversity. And yes, the Booker Prize is 100% political. Even your quote about "a certain cultural moment" is political. 

Well, I guess you can post whatever you want but, generally, the posts here are specifically about the books and there are dedicated threads for prizes and other things.

This is the "what I am reading" not "the current political landscape in lit prizes."

Excuse me, I was not the one who linked to this. Zorral was.

27 minutes ago, Gigei said:

Oh, sorry. My bad.

It wasn't a political article.  It was an interview with Hilary Mantell, the author of the book, in which she is asked by the interviewer about how she felt not going on the Booker short list.  I thought her response was lovely and smart and generous.  Not political at all.  Her response was that of an historical fiction writer who has thought long and hard about writing fiction about historical subjects, who thus knows that history can pass by even those who ride the crest for a long time.  It fits in beautifully too, with the era of Thomas Cromwell in which the wheel of fortune was another way of expressing that, and of this particular subject who saw this happen to many of his contemporaries and knew it would happen to him as well.  That's a huge theme of Mantell's three novels featuring Cromwell, as in her other novels.

You read with a very narrow vision and focus if you are calling this 'political.' Sheesh, the rise and fall is the eternal subject of narrative history and fiction, even before we had novels.

Also, if you looked, I just posted that I'd finished reading that very novel, The Mirror and the Light. It is what I am reading now, though now I've finished it.

I fail to see why you are manufacturing out of no evidence a hissy.

3 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Also, if you looked, I just posted that I'd finished reading that very novel, The Mirror and the Light. It is what I am reading now, though now I've finished it.

I fail to see why you are manufacturing out of no evidence a hissy.

*shrugs* Then discuss it. 

Your comment was just a link with no discussion or context. If you just link then people are free to read it and draw their own conclusions. Your interpretation is as valid as mine.

And it's not a hissy. I genuinely thought you posted on the wrong thread. Why are you being overly defensive?

5 minutes ago, Gigei said:

*shrugs* Then discuss it. 

Your comment was just a link with no discussion or context. If you just link then people are free to read it and draw their own conclusions. Your interpretation is as valid as mine.

And it's not a hissy. I genuinely thought you posted on the wrong thread. Why are you being overly defensive?

I just did discuss, both before that post up thread and now. You are lacking justification for a tantrum, while demonstrating determined lack of comprehension by refusing to see it because you want to have a fit -- though why you do want to have a fit is something I don't comprehend.

In fact, you are coming through as a bully, in tone and attitude.  As far away from Mantell's tone and attitude about writing as you can be.

Perhaps I misread it but when someone says: "X is as X does" it is normally a criticism of X. Not a positive remark on X. In this case, the post seemed to me like it was specifically calling out the author for NOT being classy in her response. Hence my reading of it as political.

Lit prizes are inherently political anyway. This particular one is highly controversial atm.

Nonetheless, you can go ahead and discuss it if you want to actually discuss the books you read. This is the place for that. If it was meant for that then I apologize but even now it looks like it's a discussion of the Booker Prize which is normally a separate thread. IDK why people seem offended by that. There is a dedicated thread for the Nobel prize right now, in fact. 

9 hours ago, Gigei said:

Perhaps I misread it but when someone says: "X is as X does" it is normally a criticism of X. Not a positive remark on X. In this case, the post seemed to me like it was specifically calling out the author for NOT being classy in her response. Hence my reading of it as political.

Lit prizes are inherently political anyway. This particular one is highly controversial atm.

Nonetheless, you can go ahead and discuss it if you want to actually discuss the books you read. This is the place for that. If it was meant for that then I apologize but even now it looks like it's a discussion of the Booker Prize which is normally a separate thread. IDK why people seem offended by that. There is a dedicated thread for the Nobel prize right now, in fact. 

Mantell was classy and generous when she spoke of history within the context of the prizes -- when all her work is about history. About which, particularly this work of hers, has been discussed here often.  And finally, I was able to read the book with a certain calm which I wasn't able to do when it came out, so couldn't focus on the prose, the narrative and so on back in March. All of that is HERE in this thread. Yet attack you did, which was preposterous considering others' and my previous posts about this book and author within the context of this thread. You created a beef for your own reasons about an issue that wasn't here and is not now -- except on your own terms.

I finally finished The Dragon Republic (second in a trilogy) by R.F. Kuang.

I liked the first book a lot more. It's true that it has its flaws but since it was the author's debut work and she was only 22 at the time, it's a tremendous accomplishment.

The second book was a bit boring. I stopped at chapter 14 and fell asleep! That didn't happen in the first book. The Dragon Republic does pick up its pace later on. I'm mostly satisfied with the ending but this is clearly the middle book where things can't exactly come to a head just yet... have to wait for the third book for the climax of the story. Oh, and if you know about the famous Battle of Red Cliffs then the book's story is entirely predictable.

:spank:

I'm now officially confused by Nezha.

Spoiler

The twist at the end seemed to come out of nowhere. Okay, I can totally buy that Nezha would betray her but the way it was done was cartoonish. I mean, a literal (literally literal, not figuratively) stab in the back, no less! Why wouldn't he just drug the wine? Or stab her with a heroin needle like the doctors did. Then later on he's seen at the pier as though he knew they would be escaping right at that exact moment. Something fishy is going on. 

The third book should be out this November.

Mantel’s Cromwell trilogy inspired me to read the Cromwell biography by Dairmaid MacCulloch which I quite enjoyed. It presented quite a different take on Cromwell than Mantel’s fictional portrait, but I can say I enjoyed both.

That book inspired me to read THE REFORMATION, MacCulloch’s history of the Protestant Reformation in England and Europe.  Fascinating, and I really got a lot out of it.  I must say I found out how much I didn’t know (and still don’t, really) about Christian religious history or how important it is.   

MacCullogh wrote a bio on CARDINAL WOSELY which I am considering for later this year. 

I just finished M.R. Carey's The Trials of Koli. It was really good, I'm looking forward to the next one in a few months.

Spoiler

Mike Carey seems to have a bit of a thing for the hero not getting the girl. Spinner picking Haijon over Koli changed the course of his life. It was quite funny to go back and see it from Spinner's pov and it barely registered as a consideration for her.

Next up I'm reading The Trouble with Peace.

Archived