Third Quarter 2020 Reading is a Joy

Peadar

On 9/15/2020 at 5:13 PM, Plessiez said:

Gone back to slowly reading J. V. Jones' A Sword From Red Ice, though I'm really just passing time until my local bookshop lets me know my order of Unconquerable Sun is in.

The bookshop got a copy of Unconquerable Sun in a few days early -- I think it's not meant to be out until October -- and I somehow still haven't finished A Sword From Red Ice, so I'm putting that down (at least for now?) and moving on to the Elliott.

I'm not sure exactly what my problem with the Jones book is, but it's definitely been much tougher going than I was expecting.  Part of it, I think, is the fact that (mild spoilers):

Spoiler

Although Raif and Ash are the main protagonists of the story -- at least as far as the blurb goes -- they're definitely not the most compelling characters.  In this book, especially, I was much more interested in Raina and Vaylo's story than either of theirs.  And jumping around half a dozen different POVs who rarely interact with one another means the narrative becomes quite disjointed; I remember I complained about this in regards to the previous book in the series as well.

1 hour ago, Plessiez said:

I'm not sure exactly what my problem with the Jones book is, but it's definitely been much tougher going than I was expecting.  Part of it, I think, is the fact that (mild spoilers):

Hide contents

Although Raif and Ash are the main protagonists of the story -- at least as far as the blurb goes -- they're definitely not the most compelling characters.  In this book, especially, I was much more interested in Raina and Vaylo's story than either of theirs.  And jumping around half a dozen different POVs who rarely interact with one another means the narrative becomes quite disjointed; I remember I complained about this in regards to the previous book in the series as well.

I agree that those POV characters do tend to be more interesting in that series.

5 hours ago, stonebender said:

I'm reading Moorcock's The City in the Autumn Stars.  Very good, pretty much a perfect balance between Moorcock's literary and adventure modes.  I'd recommend it to anyone who liked the idea of Elric or Hawkmoon but found those early stories too thin and underdeveloped.  

I loved Moorcock's Elric series when I was a kid.  (I got into it because of the Melnibonian myths that were in D&D's original Deities and Demigods book, along with Cthulhu and the Grey Mouser)

Wikipedia says this is the second book in the series.  Would you recommend that I read The War Hound and the World's Pain first?

Page 21, and only two days left of the quarter. Good timing!

Myself, I'm halfway-ish through Lindsay Ellis' Axiom's End. I'm still confused why Wall-E and EVE aren't in it. [/s]

Will probably give my verdict when I've finished it, at which point the next thread will probably be up and running.

18 hours ago, mushroomshirt said:

I loved Moorcock's Elric series when I was a kid.  (I got into it because of the Melnibonian myths that were in D&D's original Deities and Demigods book, along with Cthulhu and the Grey Mouser)

Wikipedia says this is the second book in the series.  Would you recommend that I read The War Hound and the World's Pain first?

That's how I did it, but I think you could easily read City in the Autumn Stars first given there are links but it's not a direct continuation.  

Archived