Burned Towers

Lord Lannister

I've been listening to the audio books at work lately, and I'm on Feast. One of Sam's early chapters mentioned the burned Lord Commander's Tower and that got me thinking. We know that Cersei will burn the Tower of the Hand in a fit of petty rage later in the novel. 

So I'm wondering if that's hinting that another tower will be burned in the books to come. For some reason that has me thinking of the Citadel at Oldtown as a likely target. Burning things seems to be the go to for the Ironborn and it would be a historical parallel to the burning of the library of Alexandria.

1 hour ago, Lord Lannister said:

I've been listening to the audio books at work lately, and I'm on Feast. One of Sam's early chapters mentioned the burned Lord Commander's Tower and that got me thinking. We know that Cersei will burn the Tower of the Hand in a fit of petty rage later in the novel. 

So I'm wondering if that's hinting that another tower will be burned in the books to come. For some reason that has me thinking of the Citadel at Oldtown as a likely target. Burning things seems to be the go to for the Ironborn and it would be a historical parallel to the burning of the library of Alexandria.

It is likely. A lot of stuff in ASoIaF comes in threes... just don't ask me actual examples, I've forgotten.

2 hours ago, Lord Lannister said:

The Citadel.

The smoking tower from where the Stone Beast will come from is another. When there is smoke there usually is fire.  The grey beast will set the tower on fire. 

The Citadel always reminded me of the Library of Alexandria which is rumored to have burned in one of the most tragic losses of history and knowledge in the history of the world...it makes me weepy :crying:.

But I get a feeling the Citadel may burn in a call out to this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idmP_Kpjo2E

32 minutes ago, Lollygag said:

The Citadel always reminded me of the Library of Alexandria which is rumored to have burned in one of the most tragic losses of history and knowledge in the history of the world...it makes me weepy :crying:.

But I get a feeling the Citadel may burn in a call out to this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idmP_Kpjo2E

There’s also the destruction of Baghdad’s ancient library by the Mongols. They reportedly threw so many books and scrolls into the Tigris River that it ran black with ink for weeks.

Between their usual conquering and their spreading the Black Plague to Europe, I daresay the Mongols might have the highest body count of any civilization in human history. 

8 hours ago, Lord Lannister said:

So I'm wondering if that's hinting that another tower will be burned in the books to come.

The Winterfell library was a tower that was set on fire (it didn't burn down completely) and the Old Keep at Winterfell (from which Bran was pushed) might be another example. The House of the Undying is kind of a horizontal tower, if there can be such a thing. Also burned.

The Harrenhal towers were melted by dragonfire.

I definitely think there is a "thing" involving burned and ruined towers, but it starts quite awhile before the Tower of the Hand or the Lord Commander's Tower.

Let's not forget the burning of all the Aztec (and Mayan?) codices, as long as we're mourning libraries that were put to the torch. But, back to the book, it seems as if "towers" are ideal venues for arson. Narrow, relatively isolated from the rest of the building, probably sparsely inhabited at most times. Plus, when they are heavily occupied (times of war, maybe), they're a valid and important military target.

Archived