Artwork of the Others

Fir3brand

I've been on a bit of a binge making artwork of the Others while I'm rereading the series. These were my attempts at a lore-friendly depictions, since I feel the show pictured them too ghoulish and old. I also based the following on a study of cold, ice, crystal patterns, and a kind of alien, mythical beauty. Please let me know what you think, and how you've always pictured the White Walkers.

The Others

Ice and Wind

The Lands of Always Winter

On 7/6/2020 at 3:18 AM, Fir3brand said:

Looks like a Jedi lightsabre, but really beautiful in a eerie way. 

On 7/6/2020 at 3:53 AM, kissdbyfire said:

I think the artwork for the WWs I’ve seen that best matches my head canon is John Picacio’s. That said, I love your work, it’s gorgeous. 

And welcome to the forums. :)

:agree:

I really like how you managed to capture the ghostly shadowlike appearance, combined with their height and emanciated form, and how it all combines in that impression of fairy-like beauty. One minor detail: the horses wouldn't be see through.

I hadn't got a strong internal image for the Others (not seen them on the show) - so these new images just bowl me over. Will be part of my head canon from now on. The sort-of-beauty, and the bonyness, and the otherworldy nature comes over so very well. Brilliant.

The rest of my head canon is: I always picture the Others among the trees in the moonlight , with the tree shadows dappling their armor. I'm not sure in my mind if the Others belong with the trees, of if they're just passing through. I pictured the swords as very thin and narrow, as if cut from a sheet of ice, but that wide, crystalline look is a fair depiction too.

One small thing which did clash with my ideas: the horses were excessively pretty. Not something to complain about though. :)

Archived