Fat free half and half???

I just saw this in my local “Lidl”.  How can “half and half”:

In the United States, half-and-half must contain between 10.5 and 18 percent milkfat.[18] It is pasteurized or ultra-pasteurized, and may be homogenized.

be “half and half” if it is “fat free”.  Doesn’t removing the milkfat make the “fat free half and half” something else entirely?

From the University of Google:

"Fat-free half-and-half is made with skim milk, a touch of milk or cream, corn syrup and other sweeteners, carrageenan (a seaweed extract used as a thickener), and other additives. As the name implies, each 2-tablespoon serving contains no fat, but it does have about 20 calories."

1 hour ago, Old Zog said:

"Fat-free half-and-half is made with skim milk, a touch of milk or cream, corn syrup and other sweeteners, carrageenan (a seaweed extract used as a thickener), and other additives. As the name implies, each 2-tablespoon serving contains no fat, but it does have about 20 calories."

But it’s not “half and half”....

35 minutes ago, Old Zog said:

And soy milk isn't "milk" either, but...

Are you expecting them to label it "Fat-free liquid that behaves and tastes (to the undiscerning palate) like half-and-half"?

At least "soy milk" has "soy" in front of Milk.  This claims to be "half and half" but is missing the one thing that makes "half and half"... half and half.  "Fat Free Half and Half" seems oxymoronic to me.

31 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

At least "soy milk" has "soy" in front of Milk.  This claims to be "half and half" but is missing the one thing that makes "half and half"... half and half.  "Fat Free Half and Half" seems oxymoronic to me.

This will be the Almond milk or Soy milk of the decade. Farmers must be pretty weak pussies in the US if they can't get a court order against the use of that name. Totally deceptive.

Its all marketing bs and its insidious. When it comes to foods, there is no substitute for anything, there are only alternatives. The problem is alternatives are marketed as though they are substitutes. The alternative food industry should never have been allowed to appropriate 'milk', 'butter' or 'meat' for their marketing.

I got no problem with plant alternatives. I like soy milk. I also like almond milk. But milk is mammalian and its origins should damn well be respected.

I abhor the term 'plant based meats' just as I would 'meat based plants' - if ever the latter is offered as an alternative :).

Wikipedia says...Half and half is the name of various beverages and foods made of an equal-parts mixture of two substances, including dairy products, alcoholic beverages, and soft drinks...so I don't know.  Maybe they should change the spelling to 'haf and haf' or some such.

I think you can also order a half and half pizza which is a good idea.

Also oat milk is the best.  Just get the plain variety and pour it on your cereal.  Don't hassle it.

13 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

"There's no such thing as soy milk. It's soy juice.. But they couldn't sell soy juice. So they called it soy milk. Because any time you say 'soy juice' you actually start to gag... And we know there's no soy milk, because there's no soy titty, is there?"

8 hours ago, ithanos said:

Its all marketing bs and its insidious. When it comes to foods, there is no substitute for anything, there are only alternatives. The problem is alternatives are marketed as though they are substitutes. The alternative food industry should never have been allowed to appropriate 'milk', 'butter' or 'meat' for their marketing.

I got no problem with plant alternatives. I like soy milk. I also like almond milk. But milk is mammalian and its origins should damn well be respected.

I abhor the term 'plant based meats' just as I would 'meat based plants' - if ever the latter is offered as an alternative :).

Insidious, really? These are products that people who can't eat or choose not to eat the original can use to have an experience close to what they had growing up or what their friends are enjoying at the barbeque. 

The qualifiers makes it clear - soy milk is not going to be mistaken for dairy milk by anyone who can read, just like people are going to understand that fat free half and half is a (probably) healthier way to get a similar experience to regular half and half and that cauliflower rice is make from cauliflower, not rice. What's the harm? Why be pedantic about it?

The point of the substitutes isn't to trick anyone, but to offer consumers a different way to have the same experience as the "real thing."

23 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I just saw this in my local “Lidl”.  How can “half and half”:

be “half and half” if it is “fat free”.  Doesn’t removing the milkfat make the “fat free half and half” something else entirely?

The last time you posted about dairy regulations you just  about broke the board, in high style.  Be careful.

On 7/5/2020 at 8:23 PM, Old Zog said:

I wonder if you’d be better off with the fat than with the corn syrup substitute.

15 hours ago, Underfoot said:

Insidious, really? These are products that people who can't eat or choose not to eat the original can use to have an experience close to what they had growing up or what their friends are enjoying at the barbeque.

Not really, but I have doubts, I injected the term flippantly when subtlety should have sufficed. My apologies if my choice of words caused upset, it was not the intent. You rightly point out that alternative foods offer those who cannot consume certain foods a culinary experience analogous to the traditional experience, particularly in social environments. It's great we live in a time when alternatives can be offered.

My doubt is genuine though. Not with alternative foods themselves (as I've already mentioned I enjoy a few) but with the marketing of them.

15 hours ago, Underfoot said:

What's the harm? Why be pedantic about it?

Because macro-nutrient content, energy partition and hormonal responses to that content is not the same between traditional foods and their alternatives. I would like to believe the food industry's marketing (and packaging/labelling) is altruistic - but I have doubts. You say the qualifiers make it clear. Not always the case. They may not shirk this responsibility, but they often hide it on the packaging in the smallest of fonts. People do mistake it. They fail to seek (and read) the finer details. Its human nature.

6 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

:)

Raw Milk Mike was not my fault.

I think you knew exactly what you could be inviting when you started this thread. :P

Theres no milk label on my oat drink at least, which is good since im not a calf. 

Anyway, on marketing, i guess i agree on principle, but anything that makes people eat less dairy is a win in my book, so ill allow it. For now.

1 hour ago, Isalie said:

Theres no milk label on my oat drink at least, which is good since im not a calf. 

Anyway, on marketing, i guess i agree on principle, but anything that makes people eat less dairy is a win in my book, so ill allow it. For now.

I love cows milk, cream, ice cream, cheese, yogurt.  I enjoy pretty much any dairy product.  For that matter Goat Cheese is really tasty too.  Fresh goats Milk is quite good as well.

(You are bring sarcastic when you say "I'll allow it" correct?)

Archived