Why is Renly seemingly disliked in the community?

9 hours ago, King17 said:

Everyone who really knew renly didn't really think much of him I am just going off the text which seems to indicate renly was good looking but not all that bright.

Tyrion thought that Renly’s strategy was smart.

Renly has other concerns besides us. Our father at Harrenhal, Robb Stark at Riverrun … were I he, I would do much as he is doing. Make my progress, flaunt my power for the realm to see, watch, wait. Let my rivals contend while I bide my own sweet time. If Stark defeats us, the south will fall into Renly’s hands like a windfall from the gods, and he’ll not have lost a man. And if it goes the other way, he can descend on us while we are weakened.

9 hours ago, King17 said:

Everyone who really knew renly didn't really think much of him

That is demonstrably false, you realize that, right?

"If that is so, why is the Knight of Flowers not among you? And where is Mathis Rowan? Randyll Tarly? Lady Oakheart? Why are they not here in your company, they who loved Renly best? Where is Brienne of Tarth, I ask you?"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Renly was brave and gentle, Grandmother," said Margaery. "Father liked him as well, and so did Loras."

The people who knew him best loved him, were willing to fight a war to make him King on the basis of their belief in him. The fact that he did not even try to justify usurping the throne with excuses other than he was the right person to King speaks volumes about how his followers viewed him.

Tell it to the people of this city, Tyrion thought bitterly. Tell it to the bloody singers, with their songs of Renly's ghost.

Even in death he is beloved by the people he was marching an army against.

I am just going off the text which seems to indicate renly was good looking but not all that bright.

lol I don't think you are basing that on the text.

Archived