Upcoming TV Series/Movies: beyond the Apocalypse!

AncalagonTheBlack

Amazon have released the first trailer for Paper Girls, which is odd considering it's debuting in one month's time (29 July).

Interesting that they seemed to change Tales from the Loop pretty thoroughly because they were scared of being accused of ripping of Stranger Things (despite the source material predating ST by several years), but here they seem to have said fuck it and have leaned into the similarities (despite PG predating ST by not nearly as much).

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/30/2022 at 6:56 PM, Werthead said:

Amazon have released the first trailer for Paper Girls, which is odd considering it's debuting in one month's time (29 July).

Interesting that they seemed to change Tales from the Loop pretty thoroughly because they were scared of being accused of ripping of Stranger Things (despite the source material predating ST by several years), but here they seem to have said fuck it and have leaned into the similarities (despite PG predating ST by not nearly as much).

I'm mostly interested in this because it has the Halt and Catch Fire creator/showrunner duo of Chris Canteell and Chris Rogers collaborating again on it. On the surface, the two shows seem to be very different in genre/theme (similar time period, though).

12 minutes ago, Annara Snow said:

I'm mostly interested in this because it has the Halt and Catch Fire creator/showrunner duo of Chris Canteell and Chris Rogers collaborating again on it. On the surface, the two shows seem to be very different in genre/theme (similar time period, though).

Excellent. Halt and Catch Fire might just be my pick for the best show of the 2010s.

22 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Excellent. Halt and Catch Fire might just be my pick for the best show of the 2010s.

Probably my favorite show of all time. It's always great to meet a fellow fan of the show that "no one watched".

Oh hey, there’s a Jon Snow spin-off now! :lol:  There’s not a chance in hell I would ever watch it, but what a funny idea. Well I’m really looking forward to seeing how these spin-offs perform and I can’t wait for the YouTube reviews. 

2 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

Oh hey, there’s a Jon Snow spin-off now! :lol:  There’s not a chance in hell I would ever watch it, but what a funny idea. Well I’m really looking forward to seeing how these spin-offs perform and I can’t wait for the YouTube reviews. 

A Jon Smow spinoff sounds like the most boring and pointless thing ever.

2 hours ago, Annara Snow said:

A Jon Smow spinoff sounds like the most boring and pointless thing ever.

I know, I can’t think of a viable plot idea for him for a single episode. what could they possibly make several about? 

12 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

I know, I can’t think of a viable plot idea for him for a single episode. what could they possibly make several about? 

Try harder.

im looking forward to every episode, Jon Snow sends out scouting parties to look for White Walkers. Every episode they come back and someone says ‘ I don’t think there are any White walkers’ and they get told to keep trying. That’s 3 seasons of filler right there.

Plus imagine the possibilities of a multi season arc on grain storage. This shit is gonna win emmys

On 6/28/2022 at 11:32 AM, Tammyrex said:

*sorry if someone has already sent this video*

Looks interesting and I like the main actors - Gugu Mbatha-Raw from the Black Mirror episode "San Junipero" (and also from Loki, if someone else cares) and Oliver Jackson=Cohen from The Haunting of Hill House/Bly Manor.

This looks unexpectedly fun, in a cheesy kind of way.

I feel every DM will be watching the party avoid a displacer beast by diving into a gelatinous cube and sighing, "Yup, that's the stupid shit my party does."

The black dragon breathing acid over the battlefield and it looks like vomit is lore-accurate (it even touches off a huge explosion), the city of Neverwinter looks good, and the druid tiefling taking out a whole platoon of bad guys by shapeshifting into an owlbear is good fun. Hugh Grant as a villain (probably not the villain though) also looks great.

Interesting and possibly very smart move to use a party without the requisite elf and dwarf combo. Just humans and a tiefling (maybe one of the humans is a half-elf, not sure). Avoids comparisons with LotR.

I do think after Taika Waititi and now this, we need a halt on using classic rock songs in film trailers. Like, give it a rest for a while, okay?

I did feel sorry for Ed Greenwood, though. He created the Forgotten Realms 55 years ago and has waited all his life to see it brought to life in a live-action movie, and the trailer hits the same week he lost his wife  :(

19 minutes ago, Werthead said:

This looks unexpectedly fun, in a cheesy kind of way.

I feel every DM will be watching the party avoid a displacer beast by diving into a gelatinous cube and sighing, "Yup, that's the stupid shit my party does."

The black dragon breathing acid over the battlefield and it looks like vomit is lore-accurate (it even touches off a huge explosion), the city of Neverwinter looks good, and the druid tiefling taking out a whole platoon of bad guys by shapeshifting into an owlbear is good fun. Hugh Grant as a villain (probably not the villain though) also looks great.

Interesting and possibly very smart move to use a party without the requisite elf and dwarf combo. Just humans and a tiefling (maybe one of the humans is a half-elf, not sure). Avoids comparisons with LotR.

I do think after Taika Waititi and now this, we need a halt on using classic rock songs in film trailers. Like, give it a rest for a while, okay?

I did feel sorry for Ed Greenwood, though. He created the Forgotten Realms 55 years ago and has waited all his life to see it brought to life in a live-action movie, and the trailer hits the same week he lost his wife  :(

Yeah, I was already kind of burned out on Gn'R and Led Zeppelin. Although I'll always love the Suicide Squad trailer with Bohemian Rhapsody. Too bad the film happened. Judging by that fire breathing dragon, "Whole Lotta Rosie" might have been a better song choice.

They had me at "Owl Bear".

Archived