Upcoming TV Series/Movies: beyond the Apocalypse!

AncalagonTheBlack

2 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

They had me at "Owl Bear".

One person on Twitter rage-quit the trailer because strictly in 5th Edition rules, you can't wildshape into an owlbear because it's a monstrosity. That sparked a major argument though, since owlbears aren't actually that tough (in the rules they're about as tough as an enraged normal bear) and dozens of people were saying they houseruled you could, or even that owlbears aren't technically monstrosities any more. Others suggested the directors were the DMs, so could allow any bullshit they wanted.

Normal, sane people were bemused.

The Walking Dead Spin-Off Starring Andrew Lincoln's Rick Grimes and Danai Gurira's Michonne Announced for 2023
The journey and love story of Rick and Michonne will live on.

https://www.ign.com/articles/the-walking-dead-spin-off-starring-andrew-lincolns-rick-grimes-and-danai-guriras-michonne-announced-for-2023

AMC has announced a new spin-off for The Walking Dead in 2023 that will star Andrew Lincoln's Rick Grimes and Danai Gurira's Michonne. Furthermore, it was revealed this series will replace the planned Rick Grimes movie.

The spin-off was revealed at The Walking Dead's San Diego Comic-Con panel and looks to "continue the journey and love story" of Rick Grimes and Michonne. AMC is saying the series will "begin with six episodes in 2023," potentially leaving the door open for this being more than a mini-series.

Max Headroom reboot, produce by Elijah Wood, starring Matt Frewer, is in development for AMC.

Halt and Catch Fire co-creator Christopher Cantwell is writing the adaptation and is attached as showrunner for the project, which is produced by Elijah Wood and Daniel Noah’s SpectreVision and All3Media.

19 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

Max Headroom reboot, produce by Elijah Wood, starring Matt Frewer, is in development for AMC.

Since he's, I believe, mostly been writing Iron Man comics since HCF ended, it's not surprising that his recent projects have been comic book adaptations (Paper Girls) or a Max Headroom reboot.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/02/entertainment/jake-gyllenhaal-road-house-amazon-prime/index.html

Amazon, don't you dare besmirch the name of Road House. 

Honestly though, it's going to be an impossible task to capture the perfect mix of schlock, 80s sex icons, humor, and Swayze-ness of the original. Even though the real-world bar industry is a far cry from the absurdity of the Double Deuce, I can't imagine Doug Liman getting this right. 

8 minutes ago, Ran said:

Mendes is a good director but I don't really think of him when I think comedy

tbf, directors in TV have a lot less control of the overall tone- for this speficially I'd guess Mendes will have more than usual since it's his idea, but he brought in Iannucci- and Jon Brown, the actual showrunner of this who does have a history in comedy- on for a reason.

But also Away We Go is a cracking little film. Nothing related to what I imagine the tone here will be but... it deserved more attention tbqh. 

Tatiana Maslany starring, producing the adaptation of the Adrienne Celt novel Invitation To A Bonfire for AMC

Created by Rachel Caris Love, Invitation to a Bonfire is a psychological thriller set in the 1930s at an all-girls boarding school in New Jersey. Inspired by Vladimir and Vera Nabokov’s co-dependent marriage, the series follows Zoya (Freya Mavor), a young Russian immigrant and groundskeeper, who is drawn into a lethal love triangle with the school’s newest faculty member — an enigmatic novelist, Leo (Pilou Asbæk)— and his bewitching wife (Maslany).

The Franchise a somewhat different take on Entourage?  HBO's Irma Vep also comes to mind, as what 'her people' want her to do next, after coming off one superhero franchise gig, doing this art gig, to go back to CA and be The Female Silver Surfer. :)  Evidently there's a lotta chatter about these jobs out there?

Keanu Reeves To Star In ‘Devil In The White City

https://deadline.com/2022/08/keanu-reeves-stars-devil-in-the-white-city-hulu-series-order-1235085073/

Keanu Reeves will star in the long-gestating adaptation of Erik Larson’s Devil in the White City for Hulu.

The streamer today announced a limited series order for the drama, which tells the story of Daniel H. Burnham, a demanding but visionary architect who races to make his mark on history with the 1893 Chicago World’s Fair, and Dr. H. H. Holmes, America’s first modern serial killer and the man behind the notorious “Murder Castle” built in the Fair’s shadow. This marks Reeves’ first major U.S. TV role. He will also serve as an executive producer.

The eight-episode series is targeted for a 2024 launch, with production not expected to commence until next year.

‘Fargo’: Joe Keery, Lamorne Morris & Richa Moorjani Join Season 5 Of FX Series

https://deadline.com/2022/08/fargo-joe-keery-lamorne-morris-richa-moorjani-cast-season-5-fx-1235087523/

Fargo has rounded out the main cast of its upcoming fifth installment, with Joe Keery (Stranger Things, Free Guy), Lamorne Morris (New Girl, Barbershop: The Next Cut) and Richa Moorjani (Never Have I Ever) joining the previously announced Juno Temple, Jon Hamm and Jennifer Jason Leigh.

Set in 2019, Season 5 of the Noah Hawley-created anthology series answers the question, when is a kidnapping not a kidnapping, and what if your wife isn’t yours?

FX Gives Updates On ‘Alien’ Series, ‘Shōgun’
https://deadline.com/2022/08/fx-gives-updates-on-alien-series-shogun-fargo-season-5-tca-1235083740/

FX’s television series based on sci-fi classic Alien will begin shooting next year and limited series Shōgun will also air in 2023, according to FX chief John Landgraf. Noah Hawley has delivered all of the scripts for his series based on the Sigourney Weaver feature film and shooting will begin next year.

The series will be the first Alien story set on Earth and will blend the horror of the original 1979 movie and the action of the 1986 James Cameron-directed sequel, Aliens. Ridley Scott will produce the series via his Scott Free banner.

The Alien series will take place before Weaver’s Ripley character appears and she will not be part of the show, as will none of the characters apart from the alien itself.

Shōgun, FX’s limited series based on James Clavell’s bestselling novel, wrapped production in June, and will air in 2023.

Landgraf said, “We wrapped physical production on the limited series Shōgun in June, which was by far our biggest and most ambitious production ever. We still have a long process of post-production ahead of us but the show looks fantastic and will debut later next year.”

The series stars Hiroyuki Sanada, Cosmo Jarvis and Anna Sawai.

Written by Justin Marks and Rachel Kondo, Shōgun is set in feudal Japan. It charts the collision of two ambitious men from different worlds and a mysterious female samurai: John Blackthorne (Jarvis), a risk-taking English pilot major who ends up shipwrecked in Japan, a land whose unfamiliar culture will ultimately redefine him; Lord Toranaga (Sanada), a shrewd, powerful daimyo, at odds with his own dangerous, political rivals; and Lady Mariko (Sawai), a woman with invaluable skills but dishonorable family ties who must prove her value and allegiance.

Counterpart creator Marks wrote the FX adaptation with his wife, Kondo, who is of Japanese descent. Marks executive produces with late author Clavell’s daughter, Michaela Clavell.

6 hours ago, Mexal said:

I am so excited about Shogun. One of the best books I've ever read.

Having not yet read it, I’m very curious how faithful they’ll keep it. I was very impressed with Counterpart which is a good sign. Wonder if I should move the book up in my queue and try and finish it before watching the show.

Archived