Upcoming TV Series/Movies: beyond the Apocalypse!

AncalagonTheBlack

On 8/12/2022 at 11:34 AM, Mexal said:

I am so excited about Shogun. One of the best books I've ever read.

Great book but I’m concerned whether they can capture the slow unfolding of the culture clash, the characters and the political machinations.  It’s a pretty slow plot.  I’m concerned they might just jump into orientalism like Marco Polo.

On 8/12/2022 at 11:12 AM, AncalagonTheBlack said:

a woman with invaluable skills but dishonorable family ties who must prove her value and allegiance.

This is just the wrong language to use to describe what Lady Mariko is.  So right there, skepticism rears up.

‘The English’: First Look At Emily Blunt In BBC And Prime Video Western Drama Series
https://deadline.com/2022/08/emily-blunt-the-english-bbc-amazon-prime-video-1235095218/

The Sicario and A Quiet Place star will appear as Lady Cornelia Locke in the series, an aristocratic English woman who comes together with Pawnee ex-cavalry scout Eli Whipp (Spencer) in 1890s mid-America to cross a violent landscape built on dreams and blood. Stephen Rea (The Shadow Line, The Honourable Woman) plays local town sheriff Robert Marshall, while Valerie Pachner (A Hidden Life, The Kingsman) is young widow Martha Myers.

WARLORD CHRONICLES 
SERIES ORDERED AT ITVX

https://hollywood-spy.blogspot.com/2022/08/netflix-orders-decameron-14th-century.html#comment-form

... First book THE WINTER KING will be turned into a ten episode saga loosely based on the legend of King Arthur. Set in 5th century Britain, then still a landscape of warring nations, the story takes place in an era when life was brutal and fleeting. In this setting, a young Arthur Pendragon goes on a journey to become a warrior, which takes him from prodigal son to legendary leader. With Kate Brooke and Ed Whitmore adapting the books and Otto Bathurst directing, the shooting will start later this year. Epix is apparently no longer involved in the project, but the series will also air later on at regular ITV.

Hope there will be an outlet for this in the US sometime.

https://hollywood-spy.blogspot.com/2022/08/1st-photos-and-international-cast.html

...  based on Bán Mór’s bestselling novels, the ten part series follows Hungarian warrior Janos Hunyadi, who defeated the Ottoman army in 1456 at the Battle of Belgrade, halting its march across Europe. The show which cost well over $30 million already has broadcasters in Hungary and Slovenia and ORF in Austria. Set among the scandals, political power plays and court intrigues of medieval Europe, the series is nevertheless ... 

... The series should also feature Serbian princess Mara Brankovic who was Hunyadi's big love before she was forced to become the empress and wife of his greatest enemy the Turkish sultan Murad. Shooting all the way till June next year, the show will arrive sometime at the end of 2024!

11 minutes ago, Ran said:

Never read Cornwall

The Netflix The Last Kingdom from another of Cornwell's series was the BEST period series ever.  No turning into the crock of wtf???? that Vikings did.  We sure have talked about that here!

Alas, bounced off The Last Kingdom somewhere in its second season, as I recall. Quit Vikings after, like, season 3 as well. 

Have you checked out the Spanish/Catalan medieval shows on Netflix, @Zorral? One is called Cathedral by the Sea or something, the sequel is IIRC Heirs to the Land. If so, are they worth looking at?

3 hours ago, Ran said:

Cathedral by the Sea or something, the sequel is IIRC Heirs to the Land. If so, are they worth looking at?

I tried.  I wanted to.  Maybe they got better paced, were less claustrophobic, opened into better weather and got colorful further into their episodes, but I wouldn't know. 

6 hours ago, Ran said:

Never read Cornwall, but I know George is a fan.

Quite right, too.

Sharpe and Uhtred get a bit formulaic and samey over time, but The Warlord Chronicles are feckin' awesome. It's probably fair to call it Cromwell's finest work.

I am sooooo looking forward to this show. I really hope they don't fuck with the source material, particularly the absolute skewering of the Lancelot mythos. :lol:

8 hours ago, Zorral said:

Hope there will be an outlet for this in the US sometime.

https://hollywood-spy.blogspot.com/2022/08/1st-photos-and-international-cast.html

Holy shit! My avatar's namesake. :P The guy's buried in my hometown. And I visited the Hunyadi castle in high school. Both are in present day Romania. That casting though... praise Hunyadi all you want as a general, a stateman etc. but he was not a handsome dude. lol

7 hours ago, Spockydog said:

Quite right, too.

Sharpe and Uhtred get a bit formulaic and samey over time, but The Warlord Chronicles are feckin' awesome. It's probably fair to call it Cromwell's finest work.

I am sooooo looking forward to this show. I really hope they don't fuck with the source material, particularly the absolute skewering of the Lancelot mythos. :lol:

Bad Wolf productions as well - I hope they do as good a job on this as they are with His Dark Materials

• 2 weeks later...

This looks a bit cheesy - I fear we are too used to the slick streaming style of TV and going back to network style is jarring - but it could be fun.

The interesting bit is they've abandoned the future timeline. The show is set in 2022, only 22 years after the original series ended. That means Sam will look about 8 years older than he should when they find him, but not a major biggie.

Interesting that Ernie Hudson is playing the character that Sam leapt into in Vietnam when he went to save his brother. I wonder when that will become a big part of the story.

On 8/24/2022 at 5:48 PM, Zorral said:

Great news, but my concern is that ITVX is a pretty obscure platform and likely doesn't have deep pockets.

OTOH, I trust Bad Wolf to exact a decent budget from tight pockets and make it look good (as they do with His Dark Materials).

Mercedes Lackey's Valdemar series to adapted for Universal: https://deadline.com/2022/09/universal-television-boards-valdemar-universe-fantasy-book-series-adaptation-1235109776/

The Universal Studio Group company is developing The Heralds of Valdemar, based on a series of trilogies of novels.

Kit Williamson, who created Netflix’s LGBTQ comedy series EastSiders, is adapting with author Brittany Cavallaro, who wrote the Charlotte Holmes series of books. The pair bonded over the books in school and will now write and produce the TV adaptation.

The Last Herald-Mage, The Arrows, The Mage Winds and The Mage Storms trilogies create the world of Valdemar, a place millions of readers return to again and again. Valdemar follows three teenagers chosen by fate to protect the realm–Vanyel, a young queer hero on a journey of self-discovery, Talia, a sheltered girl escaping an oppressive religious cult, and Elspeth, a princess determined to be her own hero. While separated by centuries, their journeys are linked, each battling the same evil force with the world hanging in the balance.

“Kit and I first bonded over our love for the Valdemar books twenty years ago, when we were kids at boarding school,” said Cavallero. “Valdemar means the world to me; it showed me what a true inclusive society could look like, and Mercedes Lackey’s queer and feminist characters taught me that anyone could be a hero. We are so thrilled to be bringing this project to life with Radar Pictures and Universal Television—this is a magical moment.”

“I can’t overstate the impact these books had on my life as a gay teenager growing up in Mississippi,” added Williamson. “Vanyel’s story was my introduction to Valdemar, and will be our jumping-off point to explore the expansive universe that Lackey created. We couldn’t ask for better partners than Radar Pictures and Universal Television to bring this epic story to a new generation.”

Archived