Upcoming TV Series/Movies: beyond the Apocalypse!

AncalagonTheBlack

‘House Of The Dragon’: HBO Reveals ‘Game Of Thrones’ Prequel In Production, Will Debut In 2022

https://deadline.com/2021/04/house-of-the-dragon-hbo-game-of-thrones-prequel-production-debut-2022-1234744235/

The House of the Dragon is finally under construction.

HBO has revealed that the straight-to-series Game of Thrones prequel from George R.R. Martin, Ryan Condal and Miguel Sapochnik, is now in production and will launch in 2022.

The cable network unveiled the news, with a picture of the cast at a socially distanced tabled read, on Twitter (see below).

House of the Dragon stars Paddy Considine, Olivia Cooke, Matt Smith, Emma D’Arcy and Fabien Frankel. Rhys Ifans, Steve Toussaint, Eve Best and Sonoya Mizuno also feature.

Based on Martin’s Fire & Blood, the series, which is set 300 years before the events of Game of Thrones, tells the story of House Targaryen. Considine plays King Viserys Targaryen, Cooke stars as Alicent Hightower, D’Arcy as Princess Rhaenyra Targaryen, Smith as Prince Daemon Targaryen and Toussaint as Lord Corlys Velaryon, known as the Sea Snake, who becomes Hand to Queen Rhaenyra Targaryen during the Dance of the Dragons.

Based on the beloved DC Comic, and Executive Produced by Susan Downey & Robert Downey Jr., Sweet Tooth is a post-apocalyptic fairytale about a hybrid deer-boy and a wandering loner who embark on an extraordinary adventure. All episodes of Sweet Tooth premiere on June 4, 2021, only on Netflix.

"Lightyears" on Amazon replaces Ed O'Neil with J.K. Simmons:

The series follows Irene (Spacek) and Franklin (Simmons) York, a couple who years ago discovered a chamber buried in their backyard which inexplicably leads to a strange, deserted planet. They’ve carefully guarded their secret ever since, but when an enigmatic young man enters their lives, the Yorks’ quiet existence is quickly upended and the mysterious chamber they thought they knew so well turns out to be much more than they could ever have imagined.

Sounds like a portal fantasy, but with another planet instead.  Has that been done before, aside from older sci-fi like the Barsoom novels?

1 hour ago, SpaceChampion said:

Sounds like a portal fantasy, but with another planet instead.  Has that been done before, aside from older sci-fi like the Barsoom novels?

The first stories that come to mind are Stephen Gould's Wildside,  S.M. Stirling's Conquistador, and Adrian Tchaikovsky's The Doors of Eden, but those are all about people discovering portals to parallel Earth's that have alternate histories.    J.K.Simmons previous series, Counterpart, was another portal story with an alternative history of a parallel Earth.  He's being typecast ;).

The 10,000 Doors of January by Alix E. Harrow definitely seems to be about portals leading to different worlds rather than parallel Earths.     

Definitely want to see this show.

3 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

I think you could describe Stargate as portal science fiction.

3 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

Sounds like Stargate lite to me. Instead of the military, it's just a married couple.

On 4/29/2021 at 1:53 PM, GallowKnight said:

The comic is great. Jeff Lemire is one of the best writers currently working in the business. He can hit you in the feels as well as anyone. I’ll definitely give this a try, but after being fairly disappointed with Locke and Key, I have somewhat low expectations on Netflix doing any of my favorite comics properly. 

1 hour ago, Nictarion said:

The comic is great. Jeff Lemire is one of the best writers currently working in the business. He can hit you in the feels as well as anyone. I’ll definitely give this a try, but after being fairly disappointed with Locke and Key, I have somewhat low expectations on Netflix doing any of my favorite comics properly. 

Yeah, I haven't read all of Sweet Tooth but I was impressed with what I did read, so I'm looking forward to checking this out. However I do think the trailer is a little bit more whimsical than I remember the comic being.

Written by Michael Waldron and directed by Peter Segal, with Mike O’Malley as showrunner, Heels is a story about the men and women who chase their dreams in the world of small town pro wrestling. Set in a close-knit Georgia community, it follows a family-owned wrestling promotion as two brothers and rivals, Jack Spade (Stephen Amell) and Ace Spade (Alexander Ludwig), war over their late father’s legacy. In the ring, somebody must play the good guy (Ludwig) and somebody must play their nemesis, the heel (Amell). But in the real world, those characters can be hard to live up to — or hard to leave behind.

This was great news to wake up to. My excitement level was already at 100% for the new show by the Dark creators/showrunners Jantje Friese and Baran Bo Odar, and now I've been incoherently fangirling since I saw the cast reveal photo. Emily Beecham was announced earlier, and Andreas Pietschmann (one of my favorite actors from Dark - I have a major crush on that man!), Aneurin Barnard and a bunch of other great actors from various countries will be in it. , including Anton Lesser, aka Qyburn. (I see lots of people getting excited for an actor from Elite - which I haven't seen.)

There's also the first teaser, and interview and Jantje and Bo have said the show won't be just in English but in multiple languages, the characters will be speaking in their own langauges, which makes me so happy..

https://deadline.com/2021/05/1899-netflix-creators-dark-talk-europes-largest-virtual-production-stage-multilingual-series-1234747377/

Press Release

Cast has been finalized on 1899, the major European Netflix series from Dark creators Jantje Friese and Baran bo Odar.

Joining the previously announced Emily Beecham are: Aneurin Barnard (The Goldfinch), Andreas Pietschmann (Dark), Miguel Bernardeau (Elite), Maciej Musial (The Witcher), Anton Lesser (Game Of Thrones), Lucas Lynggaard Tønnesen (The Rain), Rosalie Craig (London Road), Clara Rosager (The Rain), Maria Erwolter (The Ritual), Yann Gael (Sakho & Mangane), Mathilde Ollivier (Overlord), José Pimentão (Al Berto), Isabella Wei, Gabby Wong, Jonas Bloquet, Fflyn Edwards and Alexandre Willaume.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E0cq6jkXIAMvl_g?format=jpg&name=large

Lashings of apologies all round if anyone mentioned this before (didn't see it in the last 20 posts) but I was excited this week to see that there is going to be another adaptation of The Midwich Cuckoos featuring Keeley Hawes. It hasn't started filming yet but is set to air 2022. I think it was on HBO. Such a creepy book: I LOVE IT.

Do you realize what you’re doing is illegal? The adult animated anthology returns with a vengeance. Love, Death + Robots Volume 2 coming May 14. Consume Irresponsibly. Presented by Tim Miller, David Fincher, Jennifer Miller, and Joshua Donen.

SOLOS premieres May 21, 2021 in the US and select territories and June 25, 2021 worldwide on Prime Video. Created by David Weil. With Uzo Aduba, Nicole Beharie, Morgan Freeman, Anne Hathaway. Seven unique character-driven stories. Each character will set off on a thrilling adventure in an uncertain future and they'll come to reckon that even during our most isolated moments, we are all connected through the human experience.

The BBC has released the first trailer for Vigil, starring Suranne Jones and Martin Compston.Vigil, the forthcoming thriller series from the makers of Line Of Duty and Bodyguard.

The mysterious disappearance of a Scottish fishing trawler and a death on-board the submarine HMS Vigil bring the police into conflict with the Navy and British security services. DCI Amy Silva (Suranne Jones) and DS Kirsten Longacre (Rose Leslie) lead an investigation on land and at sea into a conspiracy that goes to the very heart of Britain’s national security.

The fabulous cast includes Rose Leslie, Shaun Evans (yes, young Morse himself), Anjli Mohindra, Paterson Joseph, Connor Swindells, Adam James, and Gary Lewis.

Gomorrah Season 4 | Official Trailer | HBO Max

Downtown Naples is much like love. Once you have fallen in, there is no escaping it.Season 4 of the Gritty Italian mafia drama, Gomorrah, premieres May 20 on HBO Max.

7 hours ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Gomorrah Season 4 | Official Trailer | HBO Max

Downtown Naples is much like love. Once you have fallen in, there is no escaping it.Season 4 of the Gritty Italian mafia drama, Gomorrah, premieres May 20 on HBO Max.

Hell yes. I just canceled Netflix but it won't go into effect until May 18 at which time I'm planning to switch to HBO Max. My timing couldn't have been more perfect. Deadwood movie and Gomorrah, here I come!

I just watched the trailer for season 4 on HBOmax; each scene in the trailer looked like scenes from  all the three preceding seasons, though they aren't, at least literally.  But it is repetitious, like crime and greed, and gangsters are.  What goes around keeps going 'round. :(

Realm (formerly Serial Box) and Tatiana Maslany announced season 2 of their audio series Orphan Black: The Next Chapter is coming out October 29th.

Jordan Gavaris and Evelyn Brochu is joining Maslany to do the voices this time around.  Once again written by an all-female group of writers:  Malka Older, Madeline Ashby, Mishell Baker, Heli Kennedy, E.C. Myers and Lindsay Smith.

Also, Maslany is exec producing and starring in a dark comedy about dark magic for Realm, called Power Trip.

Upcoming Sky and Canal Plus TV show Django, described as " English-language reimagining of Sergio Corbucci’s classic 1966 Western", has been announced. Here's the Variety article and another article with a few more plot details. The creators have previously worked as writers and producers on Gomorrah, a show that's quite popular on this forum. It stars German actor Matthias Schoenaerts as Django, Lisa Vicari (Martha from Dark) as his long-lost daughter, Nicholas Finnock (Fortitude, Counterpart) and Noomi Rapace.

Set in the Wild West in the 1860s and 1870s, we meet Django, played by Matthias Schoenaerts, a man haunted the murder of his family eight years earlier. He’s still looking for his daughter, Sarah, whom he believes may have survived the tragedy. 

His search takes him to New Babylon, a city of outcasts comprising of men and women from all backgrounds, races and creeds and where everyone is welcomed with open arms. Django discovers the city was founded by his daughter Sarah (Lisa Vicari), who’s now a grown woman, and her fiancé John Ellis (Nicholas Pinnock), who she’s just about to marry. 

When the pair are reunited Sarah pleads with Django to leave as she fears he’ll put New Babylon’s safety in jeopardy. But Django is convinced the city is in danger and is adamant that he won’t lose Sarah twice.

Star of “Prometheus,” “Sherlock Holmes” and “What Happened to Monday,” Sweden’s Rapace will play Elizabeth, who is described as a powerful and merciless enemy of John Ellis. Along with his fiancee Sarah, John Ellis is the founder of New Babylon, a city of outcasts which welcomes everyone from any background, race or creed

“Django” has just initiated principal photography in Romania. Supported by the Romanian government, it will shoot on location over six months in Racos, Bucharest and the Danube area.

Few European series this year have more powerful co-production partners than “Django,” which is produced for Sky and France’s Canal Plus by Atlantique Productions (“Midnight Sun,” “The Eddy”), part of Mediawan, and by Italy’s Cattleya, part of ITV Studios. The series is produced in collaboration with Germany’s Odeon Fiction, and Canal Plus-owned Studiocanal, which will also handle most of worldwide distribution outside Sky and Canal Plus territories.

Appropriately for a series inspired by an Italian modern classic, it is Italy which brings most of the creative talent to the table including Leonardo Fasoli. Fasoli is a creator and head writer on both “Gomorrah: The Series,” arguably Italy’s most successful series of the last decade, and the equally well-reviewed “ZeroZeroZero,” very possibly the country’s biggest series to date, made again by Cattleya in collaboration with Canal Plus and Studiocanal.

Archived