Upcoming TV Series/Movies: beyond the Apocalypse!

AncalagonTheBlack

1 hour ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Season 3 of Sex Education will stream on Netflix 17th September

I just hope they're not going to try pretending they're still at school - actors must be approaching 30 by now!

Watched the latest trailer for Netflix's The Harder They Fall.  There is so much disturbing here, beginning with the title ripping off Jimmy Cliff's title for the title song on his great 1972 soundtrack album, "The Harder They Come (the Harder They Fall)" to the equally great 1972 film of the same title, though this film has nothing whatsoever to do with the Jamaican classic.

The murder in each scene of the trailer of so many people who shouldn't have been killed -- blood stylishly spraying everywhere, no repercussion, no guilt, no feeling.  There isn't anything in this trailer that tells me I want to watch this movie, despite a cast of actors I like very much. despite the the western scenery that pulls out nostalgic love for those classic western films of yore.  None of which had this level of gore.

How did I not hear about Apple TV+ having a Shantaram TV series in the works, with Charlie Hunnam as Lin and Alexander Siddig as Khader Khan?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0429087/

According to this page, no release date yet.

https://www.macworld.com/article/340717/apple-tv-plus-upcoming-shows-future-moves-series-release-dates-film-television.html

BBC Two releases new images for The North Water - https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/2021/the-north-water-new-images

The North Water, the dark period drama starring Stephen Graham and Colin Farrell.Set in Hull and on the ice floes of the Arctic in the late 1850s, The North Water’s location work took place primarily in the Arctic, shooting on the frozen seas north of the Svalbard Archipelago. The cast and production team sailed as far as 81 degrees north to film sequences in the pack ice, the furthest point north it is believed a drama series has ever filmed before.

The new photos feature Jack O’Connell as Patrick Sumner, Farrell as Henry Drax, and Graham as Captain Brownlee, alongside Tom Courtenay as Baxter, seen here in character for the first time. The North Water also stars Peter Mullan, Sam Spruell and Roland Møller.

Based on the acclaimed novel by Ian McGuire, the five-part series tells the story of Patrick Sumner (O’Connell), a disgraced ex-army surgeon who signs up as ship’s doctor on a whaling expedition to the Arctic. But the ferocity of the elements is matched by the violence of his crew mates, with Drax (Farrell), a harpooner and distinctly brutal force of nature. As the true purpose of the expedition becomes clear, confrontation between the two men erupts, taking them on a journey far from solid ground and beyond the safe moorings of civilisation.

Look out for it on BBC Two from late summer.

Cast

On 6/25/2021 at 7:17 AM, Zorral said:

Watched the latest trailer for Netflix's The Harder They Fall.  There is so much disturbing here, beginning with the title ripping off Jimmy Cliff's title for the title song on his great 1972 soundtrack album, "The Harder They Come (the Harder They Fall)" to the equally great 1972 film of the same title, though this film has nothing whatsoever to do with the Jamaican classic.

The murder in each scene of the trailer of so many people who shouldn't have been killed -- blood stylishly spraying everywhere, no repercussion, no guilt, no feeling.  There isn't anything in this trailer that tells me I want to watch this movie, despite a cast of actors I like very much. despite the the western scenery that pulls out nostalgic love for those classic western films of yore.  None of which had this level of gore.

Jimmy Cliff should sue! Still one of my favourite albums and played regularly, even now I'm an old lady.

11 hours ago, Wall Flower said:

Jimmy Cliff should sue! Still one of my favourite albums and played regularly, even now I'm an old lady.

It's brilliant and hasn't aged in the least.

Do you think these people were cool and smart enough to pay him some permission money? 

Same sort of shyte happens with his music as with Springsteen's. 

...In 2007, Cliff performed at the opening ceremony at cricket's World Cup. In the spring and summer of 2010, Cliff embarked on an extensive tour of the U.S. and Canada. In 2007, "You Can Get It If You Really Want" was adopted by the British Conservative Party during their annual conference.[17] Cliff was quoted in The Independent as saying "One of my band mates called me this morning to tell me the news. I can't stop them using the song, but I'm not a supporter of politics. I have heard of Cameron, but I'm not a supporter. I don't support any politician. I just believe in right or wrong."[19] . 

15 hours ago, Zorral said:

It's brilliant and hasn't aged in the least.

Do you think these people were cool and smart enough to pay him some permission money? 

Same sort of shyte happens with his music as with Springsteen's. 

I must admit when I first saw the title I thought of Jimmy Cliff's song, but after watching the trailer i don't see the connection other than a cool title. Both Cliff's song and movie are titled The Harder They Come*, though everyone remembers it for the catchy ending to the phrase (the harder they fall). The idiom's been around at least a couple hundred years, and if we go by title, then there was a Humphrey Bogart film titled exactly The Harder They Fall from 1956. I didn't hear any but was there some music in the trailer ripping off Cliff that I missed?

*I've watched that movie at least once, but can barely recall it. the soundtrack however will never die, many of the tunes lovingly reprised by UB40 in their early Labor of Love albums for a generation in the 80's. But you can't beat that raw sound within that soundtrack, when ska was evolving into reggae. One of the best genre soundtracks of all time imho. 

45 minutes ago, ithanos said:

I must admit when I first saw the title I thought of Jimmy Cliff's song, but after watching the trailer i don't see the connection other than a cool title. Both Cliff's song and movie are titled The Harder They Come*, though everyone remembers it for the catchy ending to the phrase (the harder they fall). The idiom's been around at least a couple hundred years, and if we go by title, then there was a Humphrey Bogart film titled exactly The Harder They Fall from 1956. I didn't hear any but was there some music in the trailer ripping off Cliff that I missed?

*I've watched that movie at least once, but can barely recall it. the soundtrack however will never die, many of the tunes lovingly reprised by UB40 in their early Labor of Love albums for a generation in the 80's. But you can't beat that raw sound within that soundtrack, when ska was evolving into reggae. One of the best genre soundtracks of all time imho. 

Fair point. I guess Zorral and I were thinking of the next line (The harder they come, the harder they fall, one and all). UB40 and Boney M were my introduction to some of the songs and I only discovered the album later after seeing the movie on late night tv. The original is definitely the best.

A 'Kingdom' Special Episode
Kingdom: Ashin of the North
July 23, only on Netflix

Kingdom: Ashin of the North | Official Teaser #1 | Netflix

Kingdom: Ashin of the North | Official Teaser #2 | Netflix

A special episode of the series, titled "Kingdom: Ashin of the North", is set for release on July 23, 2021 and will be focusing on the supporting character Ashin played by Jun Ji-hyun. It will be a sidequel from Kingdom season two and a backstory about the mysterious character Lee Chang's group encountered on their journey north to discover the origins of the infected.

Tragedy, betrayal and a mysterious discovery fuel a woman's vengeance for the loss of her tribe and family in this special episode of "Kingdom.".Go up North and unravel the mystery shrouding Ashin and the origins of the resurrection plant in the one-hour special episode KINGDOM: ASHIN OF THE NORTH, starring Gianna Jun and Park Byung-eun.

As a mysterious disease ravages her tribe, Ashin dives into the wilderness on a mission for revenge, and to find a strange plant that could mean hope for her people.The mystery deepens in the highly anticipated one-hour special episode KINGDOM: ASHIN OF THE NORTH, starring Gianna Jun and Park Byung-eun.

7 hours ago, ithanos said:

The first trailer I saw was soundtracked to Cliff's cut.   Maybe they figured out not a good idea? :dunno:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

From Co-Creators and Executive Producers Sterlin Harjo and Taika Waititi, Reservation Dogs is a half-hour comedy that follows the exploits of four Indigenous teenagers in rural Oklahoma who steal, rob and save in order to get to the exotic, mysterious and faraway land of California.

6 hours ago, Zorral said:

It's possible that Sterlin Harjo is part of the very large and talented Oklahoma tribe-family that includes Joy Harjo, the incumbent poet laureate.

Ok, you made me mildly curious and found this podcast where he interviews her:  https://thecutspodcast.libsyn.com/joy-harjo

They start talking about it about 9 minutes in. 

Written by Michael Waldron, with Mike O’Malley as showrunner, Heels is a story about the men and women who chase their dreams in the world of small-town pro wrestling. Set in a close-knit Georgia community, it follows a family-owned wrestling promotion as two brothers and rivals, Jack Spade (Amell) and Ace Spade (Ludwig), war over their late father’s legacy. In the ring, somebody must play the good guy (Ludwig) and somebody must play their nemesis, the heel (Amell). But in the real world, those characters can be hard to live up to — or hard to leave behind.

The series, which also features Alison Luff, Mary McCormack, Kelli Berglund, Chris Bauer, Allen Maldonado and James Harrison, is set to premiere at 9 p.m. Sunday, August 15, across all Starz platforms.

Archived