Upcoming TV Series/Movies: beyond the Apocalypse!

AncalagonTheBlack

First review for The Green Knight is highly positive.

https://deadline.com/video/the-green-knight-review-dev-patel-excels-in-david-lowerys-wildly-entertaining-insightful-journey-back-to-camelot/

Of course the reviewer gets wrong and disappears yet another woman from the record, declaring the first modern English translation was Tolkien's in 1925, when it was 1898 by the first Modern English translation – a prose version by literary scholar Jessie Weston.[105

38 minutes ago, Zorral said:

First review for The Green Knight is highly positive.

https://deadline.com/video/the-green-knight-review-dev-patel-excels-in-david-lowerys-wildly-entertaining-insightful-journey-back-to-camelot/

Of course the reviewer gets wrong and disappears yet another woman from the record, declaring the first modern English translation was Tolkien's in 1982, when it was 1898 by the first Modern English translation – a prose version by literary scholar Jessie Weston.[105

Oh yes, the author of From Ritual to Romance. But I must say that's the only one of hers I've read. 

While I'm here I'll just mention the TORn panel from yesterday about the Amazon LOTR show. Does anyone think there's a lack of interest in the show because people don't know who the characters are going to be? Or is it something else? 

22 hours ago, Isis said:

a lack of interest in the show because people don't know who the characters are going to be? Or is it something else? 

I confess to little or no interest in the thing.  The announcement of it was so long ago, and nothing of interest or even specificity has been revealed since, or nothing that snagged my attention.  I don't even know if it is remake of LOtR or from the Silmarillion, in which there are no characters, as in a fully developed and published novel. It feels so much like yesterday's news, and the world's moved on?

If it turns out to be an adaptation of what Christopher Tolkien (+ most likely some gifted editors) made of Children of Húrin, I'd be very interested, as that compilation into a coherent narrative and characters I liked reading very much, and, felt to me, provided additional dimension to backstory provided in LOtR's narrative.  All anyone really talks about, it seems to me (I don't go looking for info on this due to lack of interest) is how much it costs, and doing comparison and contrast debate about what it might be with HBO's Got. So :dunno:

Let me emphasize, that is my personal take for all my own reasons, which says nothing about whether it will be good or not, or is a criticism of all those who are very interested! :cheers:

~~~~~

In the meantime, here's a second highly laudatory review of Green Knight:

https://www.vulture.com/article/the-green-knight-movie-review-dev-patel-and-david-lowery.html#_ga=2.127532174.2071425504.1627400939-638926567.1627400939

3 hours ago, Zorral said:

I confess to little or no interest in the thing.  The announcement of it was so long ago, and nothing of interest or even specificity has been revealed since, or nothing that snagged my attention.  I don't even know if it is remake of LOtR or from the Silmarillion, in which there are no characters, as in a fully developed and published novel. It feels so much like yesterday's news, and the world's moved on?

If it turns out to be an adaptation of what Christopher Tolkien (+ most likely some gifted editors) made of Children of Húrin, I'd be very interested, as that compilation into a coherent narrative and characters I liked reading very much, and, felt to me, provided additional dimension to backstory provided in LOtR's narrative.  All anyone really talks about, it seems to me (I don't go looking for info on this due to lack of interest) is how much it costs, and doing comparison and contrast debate about what it might be with HBO's Got. So :dunno:

Let me emphasize, that is my personal take for all my own reasons, which says nothing about whether it will be good or not, or is a criticism of all those who are very interested! :cheers:

~~~~~

In the meantime, here's a second highly laudatory review of Green Knight:

https://www.vulture.com/article/the-green-knight-movie-review-dev-patel-and-david-lowery.html#_ga=2.127532174.2071425504.1627400939-638926567.1627400939

It's been confirmed that it will take place in the Second Age, so likely the forging of the Rings, as well as the expansion and fall of Numenor, among other stories.

The only marketing Amazon has done for it is the occasional press release, and hype tweets on the show's dedicated account.

2 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

It's been confirmed that it will take place in the Second Age, so likely the forging of the Rings, as well as the expansion and fall of Numenor, among other stories.

The only marketing Amazon has done for it is the occasional press release, and hype tweets on the show's dedicated account.

Thank you!  I seem to remember that now, since you informed me.  Duh.  Imma blamin' it on the pandemic, which eats most of my attention all the time, OK: :rolleyes:

But that does fall into my lack of interest: the lack of characters, names and personalities which would, maybe, have piqued interest?  I mean: they forged the rings, bad things happened, and the world's been going downhill into every widening circles of wickedness and evil ever since. No happy endings.  No cute kittens. :crying:

25 minutes ago, Zorral said:

But that does fall into my lack of interest: the lack of characters, names and personalities which would, maybe, have piqued interest?  I mean: they forged the rings, bad things happened, and the world's been going downhill into every widening circles of wickedness and evil ever since. No happy endings.  No cute kittens. :crying:

The same can be said about everything in the First Age from when the Noldor leave Valinor to the end of the Age.

Just now, Corvinus85 said:

The same can be said about everything in the First Age from when the Noldor leave Valinor to the end of the Age.

Ay-up!  It's like reading Leviticus, Deuteronomy, 1st and 2nd Chronicles in the Old Testament.  A litany of names that don't mean much if anything to the average reader.  If one is an historian, scholar, archaeologist of ancient history, then it might provide pointers to other sources that might fill in what's not there, to a degree, and vice versa.

6 hours ago, Zorral said:

The second age ends with Sauron defeated so badly he's out of the picture entirely for a thousand years, and it's another two millenia before he's recovered enough to proclaim himself openly. That seems like a sufficiently happy ending to me, if the series does cover that whole time period. And for all we know, Numenor could be absolutely crawling with kittens. The writers will have to invent a lot of the characters and story detail, so it's probably close to an original series than an adaptation in many respects. They haven't really started promoting it yet, so it's too soon to expect your interest to be piqued.

7 minutes ago, felice said:

They haven't really started promoting it yet, so it's too soon to expect your interest to be piqued.

Ya -- what I said! :D

Beyond that though, if one actually has any sense of what one human being cannot have, particularly one who hasn't lived him/her self longer than a half century, millenniums are way too long to comprehend, in the way that individuals who have paid attention to the events of their own lifetimes, begin to notice that what happens within a century or even a half century matters in terms of serious change.

So yes, without fleshed out characters, I don't care, which probably means many others. Take into account this comment comes from one who has read the Lord of the Rings so many times that the count was lost after 100  re-reads . :read:  Never ever think that LOtR didn't matter to me. :) 

The re-reads ended when my own stuff got published, the world changed -- and most of all, my copies fell apart, literally, and the new editions I got that weren't my editions - somehow, they weren't my LOtR trilogy. :dunno:

That's one of the big themes of LOtR -- the world changes.

Yet another highly positive review of The Green Knight:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/goingoutguide/movies/the-green-knight-movie-review/2021/07/28/bcddd3b0-ecca-11eb-97a0-a09d10181e36_story.html

ETA later today -- the media, even NPR --  is lit with spots and praise for The Green Knight -- it does open this weekend, but one might not be expecting this kind of attention for this kind of film.

I won't be going into a theater, not with Delta all over the place.  But I'll appreciate all the more whenever  it shows up on HBO or whereever.

Does this seem excessive? Maybe a bit.

https://www.thewrap.com/south-park-14-movies-paramount-plus-season-30-renewed-season-24/

“South Park” has been renewed through Season 30 at Comedy Central and 14 original movies based on the show have been ordered at Paramount+, as part of a new deal signed between MTV Entertainment Studios and co-creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone, parent company ViacomCBS revealed Thursday.

8 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

7 more seasons plus 14 movies?  I like Southpark as much as the next person, but damn.  It feels like corporations are behaving like Lenny from Of Mice and Men, grabbing IP with all of the cash and speculation of digital profit, but then unintentionally crushing them with the weight too much expectation and how much they want to squeeze out of them.

I’m guessing like 7/14 movies will be like a POV toilet cam featuring Cartmans ass.

Archived