Upcoming TV Series/Movies: beyond the Apocalypse!

AncalagonTheBlack

57 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Valhalla new Vikings looks like old Vikings.  All the same people starting with Hirst.

I hate the fact that I'm probably going to watch this, because that looks bad. At least it's on Netflix so I can just blow through it in a couple of days instead watching it on a weekly basis.

54 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Yes, they reuse Tank! (or a special new arrangement thereof). WTF else were they ever going to do? :)

That looks like a fan film.

1 hour ago, GallowKnight said:

That looks like a fan film.

That trailer looks so bad it comes off as though it were intended as a skit. You can't have the same aesthetic as Japanese anime in live action. What looks fine in a cartoon looks extremely absurd in real life. And this has previously been demonstrated by the countless human atrocities of Japanese live action adaptations of anime where they try to use the same aesthetic as the anime.

That this is seriously the intro Netflix is going for, and considering their track record in this area, I confidently expect yet another monstrous abomination to emerge out of the quality-deprived festering womb that is Netflix's studio.

4 hours ago, Werthead said:

Yes, they reuse Tank! (or a special new arrangement thereof). WTF else were they ever going to do? :)

Adrienne Barbeau?

I'm only vaguely familiar with the anime, but this looks really interesting to me. 

...Also, I like the casting of Mustafa Shakir. He was great in The Deuce.

2 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Adrienne Barbeau?

I'm only vaguely familiar with the anime, but this looks really interesting to me. 

...Also, I like the casting of Mustafa Shakir. He was great in The Deuce.

It's worth watching the anime! It's all subjective, so there's no guarantee you will like it, but Cowboy Bebop is generally a well regarded anime. It's also relatively short.

I have friends who are very much into anime and have recommended all sorts of anime shows. For the most part I cannot get into them. But I absolutely loved Cowboy Bebop.

For those who care, the only other anime that I found myself liking are Attack on Titan (pretty good), Monster (really good), and Legend of the Galactic Heroes (one of the all time greats, in my opinion; on the same tier as Breaking Bad, The Wire, and Dark).

20 minutes ago, IFR said:

It's worth watching the anime! It's all subjective, so there's no guarantee you will like it, but Cowboy Bebop is generally a well regarded anime. It's also relatively short.

I have friends who are very much into anime and have recommended all sorts of anime shows. For the most part I cannot get into them. But I absolutely loved Cowboy Bebop.

For those who care, the only other anime that I found myself liking are Attack on Titan (pretty good), Monster (really good), and Legend of the Galactic Heroes (one of the all time greats, in my opinion; on the same tier as Breaking Bad, The Wire, and Dark).

I sent the clip to a friend who's a big fan of Cowboy Beebop. He liked it and also recommended I check out the anime. I don't know how many seasons it is but it might be more than I can binge right now. 

I rewatched Redline recently. A bonkers film with an even more bonkers production history. I was consumed by it.

Thing is, I only started getting into anime once I started seeing Japanese versions with english subs. The dubbed versions just never thrilled me, and I'm a fan of animation in general. The speech cadence and idioms just sound idiotic to me in english. 

7 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

I sent the clip to a friend who's a big fan of Cowboy Beebop. He liked it and also recommended I check out the anime. I don't know how many seasons it is but it might be more than I can binge right now. 

It's just one season, 26 under-half-hour episodes, and a single spin-off animated movie (which I still haven't watched, now I think about it).

I have no idea what this is but it looks amazing.

It's a spin-off movie from the League of Legends video game, produced as a distraction from the gaming company's ridiculously shitty work practices and ongoing legal dumpster fire.

Vaguely amusing, and a return to comedy for McKay after directing The Big Short and Vice (he cowrote Anchorman and a bunch of other Will Ferrell movies early in his career).

The cast is ludicrous though. As well as Lawrence, DiCaprio, Streep and Hill, there's Tyler Perry, Timothee Chalamet, Ariana Grande and Cate Blanchett.

Also, weird choice for a Netflix Christmas movie, unless Vanessa Hudgens is playing the asteroid.

Riot have actively been working to build up cross-media IP for awhile, just as a number of other studios have been doing. Everyone wants IPs to turn into multimedia franchises.

I know a fellow who has been working for Riot on the creative side, they're employing writers to write fiction, develop story and setting, etc. They've been producing comics with the help of Marvel for awhile as well.

I don't think Arcane is a movie. It's a 6 part TV series. They call it an "event series" , so presumably a one-off.

I recently noticed that The 4400 is being rebooted on the CW starting on Mon., Oct. 25th.   The original series had its flaws, but it's still one of my favorite shows.  I really hope they have a character similar to Jordan Collier.  His antagonistic role was the highlight of the show.

• 2 weeks later...

I literally walked by this set last night. Like on the sidewalk right next to it.

They started building it about a week ago and I just thought they were doing construction or something. Then I see all these vehicles that looked like they'd been left there for years. It was dark so part of me thought it might have been construction debris; but that made no sense. 

Very convincing.

https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/pedro-pascal-spotted-filming-hbo-s-the-last-of-us-at-alberta-legislature-1.5621589

I like the vibe of this. Definitely very different in tone and feel to other SFF shows around (maybe a bit more frenetic than the original, but a similar mix of comedy, action and drama). Also, the ship at the end - our first proper look at this version of it - looks excellent.

Archived