Upcoming TV Series/Movies: beyond the Apocalypse!

AncalagonTheBlack

I just read that GRRM is part of the group that is producing Harold Waldrop's Night of the Cooters.

https://deadline.com/2021/08/night-of-the-cooters-george-r-r-martin-produce-short-film-starring-directed-by-vincent-donofrio-from-trioscope-studios-1234823451/

I can't wait to see that, as NotC is one of my favorite stories.  In it Waldrop tells the story of HG Well's Martian invasion, but from the perspective of a small town in Texas.  Highly recommended reading.

The series began filming in front of a live studio audience in New York City on July 14, 2021

Jon Stewart’s new current affairs series, The Problem With Jon Stewart, is set to debut globally on Apple TV+, Thursday, September 30, followed by new episodes every other week. The series’ official podcast will also premiere on Thursday, September 30 on Apple Podcasts and via RSS, with new episodes every week (where available).

The Problem With Jon Stewart is a multiple-season, single-issue series, taking a deep-dive on the most important topics that are currently part of the national conversation.

In this new Apple Original series, Stewart will be in discussion with the people who are affected by the issue under discussion, as well as those who have a hand in creating the impact. Together, they will discuss tangible steps that can lead to a potential solution.

The companion series podcast will extend the conversation from each episode, featuring staff members from across the show who will moderate interviews with activists in the space, the facts on the issue, and yes, lots of jokes.

Apple, Skydance Reuniting Marvel Superhero Stalwarts Scarlett Johansson & Chris Evans In Dexter Fletcher-Directed ‘Ghosted’

EXCLUSIVE: Apple Studios has set a high profile project that will reteam Marvel stalwarts Scarlett Johansson and Chris Evans in Ghosted, a romantic action adventure that will be directed by Dexter Fletcher. He helmed Rocketman and finished Bohemian Rhapsody. The stars are in advanced negotiations. The script is by Paul Wernick and Rhett Reese, the writers of the Deadpool films and Zombieland, and most recently scripted Escape from Spiderhead.

This becomes the latest deal for David Ellison’s Skydance, which is coming off the Chris Pratt-starrer The Tomorrow War, which was distributed by Amazon, the Michael B. Jordan-starrer Without Remorse, and just set Victoria Mahoney to direct Old Guard 2, the Netflix sequel. It gives another plum title for Apple, which just opened the Sundance sensation CODA, and is in production on the Martin Scorsese-directed Killers of the Flower Moon, the Will Smith-Antoine Fuqua film Emancipation, and upcoming is the Ridley Scott-directed Kitbag with Joaquin Phoenix as Napoleon Bonaparte and Jodie Comer as his wife Josephine.

John Lithgow Joins Martin Scorsese Apple Original Film ‘Killers Of The Flower Moon’

The two-time Oscar nominee and 2x Golden Globe winner will play Prosecutor Leaward in the Leonardo DiCaprio and Robert De Niro film Killers of the Flower Moon which Martin Scorsese is directing. This is the first time that John Lithgow has starred in a Scorsese movie.

Set in 1920s Oklahoma, Killers of the Flower Moon based on the David Grann best-seller, depicts the serial murder of members of the oil-wealthy Osage Nation, a string of brutal crimes that came to be known as the Reign of Terror.

Killers of the Flower Moon is an upcoming American Western crime drama film directed and produced by Martin Scorsese, and written by Eric Roth based on the nonfiction book of the same name by David Grann. Leonardo DiCaprio, who also served as producer, stars alongside Jesse Plemons, Lily Gladstone, and Robert De Niro. The film marks the sixth collaboration between Scorsese and DiCaprio as well as the tenth collaboration between Scorsese and De Niro.

The film is set to be produced by Scorsese's Sikelia Productions and DiCaprio's Appian Way Productions and distributed by Paramount Pictures and Apple TV+.

Cast

• 3 weeks later...

We don't have an open The Expanse thread right now, so I'll post here. The below is speculation and rumors, no official news.

This site has released a short analysis, based on the words of some inside source, saying that the final season will only be 6 episodes. They do their own calculation, based on the fact that the season, which is currently in post-production, took considerably less time to shoot than previous seasons. However, this could also mean we get the final season right at the end of this year.

This video talks about the article, too, and speculates about what we might get. (Warning: book spoilers, though none that affect the TV story you already know) There is a silver lining here if the rumors are true, in that if they keep the same narrative pace as before, they can't possibly cover more than Babylon's Ashes in 6 episodes, which would leave the story of the final books untouched, presenting the opportunity to do time jumps and perhaps recasst, if necessary. OTOH, they could just do a rush job like the final seasons of GoT, or Rome season 2 etc. 

8 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

if they keep the same narrative pace as before, they can't possibly cover more than Babylon's Ashes in 6 episodes, which would leave the story of the final books untouched

The question is: what would be the point of last season's epilogue if they were to cover only Babylon's Ashes? But other than that, it does make sense. The ending of Babylon's Ashes would probably be the most logical and fitting for the ending of the whole series, if they decided not to continue, and yet allowing to change their minds at any point in the future.

https://deadline.com/2021/09/jalmari-helander-immortal-begins-sony-ebony-life-writer-scheme-sky-germany-1234841148/

U.S. Producer Eyes Genghis Khan Epic In Mongolia

Los Angeles-based producer Wendy Kram says she is planning to collaborate with Mongolian producers on a new Genghis Khan epic feature, following the enactment of Mongolia’s new film incentive legislation. Jay Liotta is writing the project, which is set in the 13th Century, chronicling a story of geopolitical conflict where unlikely partnerships bridge cultural, ideological and personal differences. The team are eyeing pre-production in the spring and production in fall next year. “The timing for Godsend is excellent, as Mongolia’s Parliament last month passed a globally competitive 45% film incentive for films made in Mongolia,” said Liotta. “The script conveys a side of Mongolian culture that has never been told by Hollywood and questions historical perceptions and prejudices. When taking on a period piece it must have contemporary relevance, and this script does,” added Kram.

Confessing to great curiosity as to what the team considers to be of contemporary relevance -- that perhaps the Golden Horde's invasion of the Black Sea region was the route by which the Bubonic Plague came to Europe in the 14th C? -- but the story of Genghis is 13th C.  Currently, also, this route of transmission has been questioned by some historians of virii.

Has Hollywood per se ever told any side of Mongolian culture -- though there are films made in parts of the former Mongolian empire that have -- and very interesting they are, so it would be cool if the team pulls this off.

7 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Did they ever make a sequel to the 2007 movie Mongol: Rise of Genghis Khan?  That was actually pretty good, I thought it was going to be a trilogy.

I also enjoyed that film, but as far as I know the planned sequels were never made.

4 hours ago, Zorral said:

Has Hollywood per se ever told any side of Mongolian culture -- though there are films made in parts of the former Mongolian empire that have -- and very interesting they are, so it would be cool if the team pulls this off.

I mean John Wayne played Ghenghis, so yes they did. :P

I feel slightly skeptical about this, mainly because Genghis Khan is highly revered in Mongolia, and any production done on Mongolia is likely to have a strong bias.

Genghis Khan was already old by the time the 13th century rolled out, so I wonder if will be more about the internal politics of the empire, though it will likely include his attempts at conquering China, too.

1 hour ago, Corvinus85 said:

I mean John Wayne played Ghenghis, so yes they did:P

I feel slightly skeptical about this, mainly because Genghis Khan is highly revered in Mongolia, and any production done on Mongolia is likely to have a strong bias.

Genghis Khan was already old by the time the 13th century rolled out, so I wonder if will be more about the internal politics of the empire, though it will likely include his attempts at conquering China, too.

You made me snort, you did. 

Ay-up he is highly revered in the Old Country.  They also are pretty sure he's coming back, not that long from now.

I think we've talked about this before, probably around the Netflix Polo?

https://www.revolvermag.com/music/hu-see-mongolian-folk-metal-acts-stunning-new-great-chenggis-khaan-video

1 hour ago, Zorral said:

You made me snort, you did. 

Ay-up he is highly revered in the Old Country.  They also are pretty sure he's coming back, not that long from now.

I think we've talked about this before, probably around the Netflix Polo?

https://www.revolvermag.com/music/hu-see-mongolian-folk-metal-acts-stunning-new-great-chenggis-khaan-video

I've listened to the Hu for about 2 years now, even though I don't know the words. But I like the sound. They've become pretty popular, so much so they even have a song for the Jedi Fallen Order video game.

What looks wonderful as graphic design in the original opening titles is a bit more awkward when you introduce decidedly not-graphically-designed, real human silhouettes and figures. Still, an honorable effort.

Archived