US Politics: Biden our time while Trump's on the stump

Ormond

Libs need to stop giving money to the Lincoln Project, I keep seeing their ads popping up on my various social network feeds and I am so sick of it. I've been bitching about the rehabilitation of all these Bush era scumbags, it makes me so mad seeing them going on liberal leaning media outlets, and people just keep throwing money at these fuckers. Wake up Sheeple.

I think this is Colbert related, but god damn does this do a good job illustrating how bullshit this grift is (to my knowledge this is an actual interview that they animated, this isn't just taking clips that make him look bad)

Why would you not give money to what look like sharp attacks on Trump and his enablers? "The enemy of my enemy is my friend." Getting stuck on the personalities is less important than the fact that they show fellow Republicans the way away from Trump. Same with Republican Voters Against Trump. 

I have a number of conservative family members, and I post those to my feed in hopes that one of them will persuade them to change their vote (or at least not to vote Trump).

Better to lose and keep your/my purity?

The sheep thing is suddenly big among the Trump cultists. As an attack, it's hard to pull off without being some type of hypocrite. In effect, it amounts to asking people to stop being x's sheep and be my sheep instead in hopes those who are critical-thinking challenged won't catch on. An enterprising Never Trumper organization would be smart to inform the Trump cultists that they're being played with this sheep thing.

38 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Mostly don't give money to the Lincoln Project because they are fucking loaded as shit. They don't remotely need the money. 

This assumes they're all set to spend their personal funds on all the work involved. Near as I can tell from the financial disclosures, they're spending money donated by others and not anything else. Most of their funding comes from small donations.

1 hour ago, Ran said:

Why would you not give money to what look like sharp attacks on Trump and his enablers? "The enemy of my enemy is my friend." Getting stuck on the personalities is less important than the fact that they show fellow Republicans the way away from Trump. Same with Republican Voters Against Trump. 

I have a number of conservative family members, and I post those to my feed in hopes that one of them will persuade them to change their vote (or at least not to vote Trump).

Because you're just enriching a bunch of already rich assholes (over 80% of their costs went towards operating costs, so we'll have to see on their next FEC filing) who actively supported if not participated in an administration that committed war crimes and set the stage for Trump.

The enemy of my enemy is my friend is such bullshit, you are just giving them legitimacy that they are going to take and keep doing the exact same shit that Trump is doing, just with a more polite face. Of course, I don't mind the fact that they are running ads, I mind the fact that Democrats and the not conservative parts of the media keep clapping and having these ghouls on. You can let someone hurt your enemy, but don't act like it makes you friends or allies. For all the hand ringing that people did over Bernie not being a Democrat folks sure are ok with supporting Republicans.

44 minutes ago, Lollygag said:

Better to lose and keep your/my purity?

The sheep thing is suddenly big among the Trump cultists. As an attack, it's hard to pull off without being some type of hypocrite. In effect, it amounts to asking people to stop being x's sheep and be my sheep instead in hopes those who are critical-thinking challenged won't catch on. An enterprising Never Trumper organization would be smart to inform the Trump cultists that they're being played with this sheep thing.

The sheeple thing was a joke.

30 minutes ago, kairparavel said:

Hey so this rambling and blathering campaign rally framed as a press conference going on in the Rose Garden - is this legal? Like does it violate some sort of rules or something?

I would say it is almost certainly violation of campaign rules. You couldn't even pull this shit at a school board meeting, much less a presidential platform. I'm not 100% sure on federal campaign rules, I speak mainly based on my state's rules which was one of the first agencies of its type in the country.

1 minute ago, GrimTuesday said:

Because you're just enriching a bunch of already rich assholes (over 80% of their costs went towards operating costs, so we'll have to see on their next FEC filing) who actively supported if not participated in an administration that committed war crimes and set the stage for Trump.

I want Trump to lose. If Rick Wilson gets a little money along the way, I do not give a rat's ass.

The enemy of my enemy is my friend is such bullshit, you are just giving them legitimacy that they are going to take and keep doing the exact same shit that Trump is doing, just with a more polite face.

My only concern, vis-a-vis The Lincoln Project, is November. They can all walk off a short pier after the election, so far as I'm concerned, but for the time being they are allies in wanting to tear down Trump. 

Of course, I don't mind the fact that they are running ads, I mind the fact that Democrats and the not conservative parts of the media keep clapping and having these ghouls on. You can let someone hurt your enemy, but don't act like it makes you friends or allies.

It's a kind of bipartisan signalling that reinforces the idea that Trump is abnormal. To whatever degree this is performative by all sides, I don't know, but also I don't care. If they sway some voters to Biden, or a least away from Trump, I've got no complaints.

Just now, DMC said:

Gravis isn't the greatest pollster, but they got Biden up 10 in Florida - 53/43.  Biden's also up 8 among 65+.

Gravis also said on Twitter that One America Network has paid them to do some polls, and then selectively releasing the ones with good results for Trump.  Gravis + OAN had some of the best polls for Trump this cycle, like Trump +4 in Arizona and North Carolina. 

Selective releasing polls is what campaigns do, but if I were Gravis I'd be be pissed, because it gives the impression of a huge republican lean in their polling.

1 minute ago, Ran said:

My only concern, vis-a-vis The Lincoln Project, is November. They can all walk off a short pier after the election, so far as I'm concerned, but for the time being they are allies in wanting to tear down Trump.

It's a kind of bipartisan signalling that reinforces the idea that Trump is abnormal. To whatever degree this is performative by all sides, I don't know, but also I don't care. If they sway some voters to Biden, or a least away from Trump, I've got no complaints.

This is my problem, the idea that we need to send a message that Trump is an abnormality. Trump is not an abormality, 90% of his policies are pretty standard Republican positions, he is just such a vile person that Republicans are worried he is going to blow the game for them. All these Lincoln Project folks have been on the Republican train since day one, and we are giving them praise for meeting the base requirements of humanity.

You said they can take a walk off a short pier, while building them an even longer pier and giving money that isn't all going to get spent this year and is just going to be funneled into other PACs to get more Republicans elected.

1 minute ago, Maithanet said:

Selective releasing polls is what campaigns do, but if I were Gravis I'd be be pissed, because it gives the impression of a huge republican lean in their polling.

While I agree I would not agree to such an arrangement as a pollster, I'm not sure you can blame Gravis for OANN pulling it - like in this case.  That poll did seem screwy though.  Anyway, Gravis has a pretty long track record, and I think it's hard to say they have much of any republican lean.

2 hours ago, Ran said:

Although I haven’t donated to the Lincoln Project and probably won’t in the future, I must say that their ads are far more effective in getting the message across than the ads from the Biden campaign so far. The repubs or ex-republicans in this case do know how to market their message far better than the democrats do. The Lincoln Project also has an ad called “Names” that goes after the senate seats. If they want to make the negative ads that the Biden campaign and DNC won’t, I say hurray! There’s an ad that the Trump gang is running claiming that Biden supports defunding the police. This ad is on repeat in all the swing states. I don’t think the Biden campaign has responded but the Lincoln Project has an ad called “Law and Order” that really nails it. 

Archived