GRRRM rewriting after season 8?

Amris

4 hours ago, Bobby B's Hamma said:

https://georgerrmartin.com/notablog/2021/04/13/not-a-blogging/

How do we feel about GRRM's mindset here? A fairly depressing post about the ups and downs in his life (HBO deal, vaccination, losing friends to Covid-19 and such), yet no mention of TWoW. He does say he will be leaving his cabin in a few months... but is that because of great progress or because it is safer for him to return to normal society? :(

Not one comment on ASOIAF, yet he chose an interesting picture for that post, didn't he?

10 hours ago, Bobby B's Hamma said:

https://georgerrmartin.com/notablog/2021/04/13/not-a-blogging/

How do we feel about GRRM's mindset here? A fairly depressing post about the ups and downs in his life (HBO deal, vaccination, losing friends to Covid-19 and such), yet no mention of TWoW. He does say he will be leaving his cabin in a few months... but is that because of great progress or because it is safer for him to return to normal society? :(

He's reached an age where you start losing the people around you and people you know; when there are fewer years ahead than behind.  Losing six people since November is heartbreaking and devastating.  While he is being offered exciting projects, it's layered over with loss and grief.

I kind of felt like he knows what everyone thinks of him now, when he said 'you guys know the good news', and began talking about the things that recently happened, but nothing about the books (Tho I expect him to post something about it in the next 2-3 weeks). I feel that he's intentionally leaving that entirely out, not only because people think his future projects throws him afar from ending the books, but also because he might have really important stuff to tell.

First of all, he was never talking about how he's dealing with the main plots of the story in the past 1 year. I mean, we heard he's writing Sam (The Reach plot), the Lannisters (and here he meant Jaime, and Cersei, aka KL), he even tells he's dealing with the Dornish plot and Arya. That means that the only thing he never refers to is The North (Winterfell, Jon and Davos) and Daenerys. I feel like he's done with that part, and he's mostly working on 'secondary' things for a long time now. Either that, or he's still nowhere near to end TWOW. I mean, at the end of TWOW, many plots will have to form into a smaller amount of them: 

-The plot from the Reach and Dorne will have to move back up at least to KL.

-Where the entire KL has to be already solved at some extent (I mean Cersei, the Tyrells and Aegon),

-The North will have to reach Westeros with the news about the White Walkers, after they deal with Stannis and the Boltons in a way noone can imagine yet.

-Daenerys will have to reach Westeros as well as Arya (who still needs a lot of training).

To achieve this, I think George will have to make a jump in time right after he finishes solving our currents conflicts: Winterfell, Darkstar, Meereen, KL, etc. for a simple reason: Some characters require time: Sam, Arya, Daenerys, even Jon after being resurrected, as well as Davos and Lady Stoneheart, and the Ironborn to finally reach KL or wherever they end up.

This, I suppose, will be 6 months at max, 3 months at least, when we will get literally nothing about anyone but Arianne, Aegon, Cersei (I mean the entire mess around KL) and Jon, but not much of him. Just because some characters seriously need some time to pass.

This is not a thing he'd never done before. Look at Davos, and how little we know about what he did in the last few months.

My question is: Do you people think he will inform us when he finishes the writing and begins the great rewriting phrase or not?

2 hours ago, Daeron the Daring said:

I kind of felt like he knows what everyone thinks of him now, when he said 'you guys know the good news', and began talking about the things that recently happened, but nothing about the books (Tho I expect him to post something about it in the next 2-3 weeks). I feel that he's intentionally leaving that entirely out, not only because people think his future projects throws him afar from ending the books, but also because he might have really important stuff to tell.

First of all, he was never talking about how he's dealing with the main plots of the story in the past 1 year. I mean, we heard he's writing Sam (The Reach plot), the Lannisters (and here he meant Jaime, and Cersei, aka KL), he even tells he's dealing with the Dornish plot and Arya. That means that the only thing he never refers to is The North (Winterfell, Jon and Davos) and Daenerys. I feel like he's done with that part, and he's mostly working on 'secondary' things for a long time now. Either that, or he's still nowhere near to end TWOW. I mean, at the end of TWOW, many plots will have to form into a smaller amount of them: 

-The plot from the Reach and Dorne will have to move back up at least to KL.

-Where the entire KL has to be already solved at some extent (I mean Cersei, the Tyrells and Aegon),

-The North will have to reach Westeros with the news about the White Walkers, after they deal with Stannis and the Boltons in a way noone can imagine yet.

-Daenerys will have to reach Westeros as well as Arya (who still needs a lot of training).

To achieve this, I think George will have to make a jump in time right after he finishes solving our currents conflicts: Winterfell, Darkstar, Meereen, KL, etc. for a simple reason: Some characters require time: Sam, Arya, Daenerys, even Jon after being resurrected, as well as Davos and Lady Stoneheart, and the Ironborn to finally reach KL or wherever they end up.

This, I suppose, will be 6 months at max, 3 months at least, when we will get literally nothing about anyone but Arianne, Aegon, Cersei (I mean the entire mess around KL) and Jon, but not much of him. Just because some characters seriously need some time to pass.

This is not a thing he'd never done before. Look at Davos, and how little we know about what he did in the last few months.

My question is: Do you people think he will inform us when he finishes the writing and begins the great rewriting phrase or not?

He thought it could be ready in 2015.  I imagine there has been a huge amount of rewriting going on since then,

I'm pretty sure that the cliffhangers have all been resolved.  I wish he'd do as his publisher has suggested, and release half the book.

14 minutes ago, SeanF said:

He thought it could be ready in 2015.  I imagine there has been a huge amount of rewriting going on since then,

You misunderstood me. I meant that once he finishes the book, he begins rereading what he wrote, and might rewrite his work on a smaller scale (I mean rewriting smalles scenes, including some elements, you know, that stuff, adding some details or leaving out 1 or 2 dialogues).

My question was if he'll inform us when he actually finishes TWOW, and begins rereading/rewriting it (the way I meant above, not the way he possibly did before, when he likely threw hundreds of pages into trash)? 

6 hours ago, Drabanten said:

A picture named stark.jpg :P

A strange choice indeed, but I think we can draw very little from it in all honesty. 

It says "winter is coming". I'm grasping at real thin straws here, but still.

1 hour ago, Daeron the Daring said:

First of all, he was never talking about how he's dealing with the main plots of the story in the past 1 year. I mean, we heard he's writing Sam (The Reach plot), the Lannisters (and here he meant Jaime, and Cersei, aka KL), he even tells he's dealing with the Dornish plot and Arya. That means that the only thing he never refers to is The North (Winterfell, Jon and Davos) and Daenerys. I feel like he's done with that part, and he's mostly working on 'secondary' things for a long time now.

He was writing Mel chapters back in Aug 2020. 

https://georgerrmartin.com/notablog/2020/08/15/back-in-westeros/

41 minutes ago, MissM said:

He was writing Mel chapters back in Aug 2020. 

https://georgerrmartin.com/notablog/2020/08/15/back-in-westeros/

Yea, missed that, to be honest.

But, considering Melisandre's future is pretty cloudy, I wouldn't bet she's still up North. The question is, where do we think George was at that point? I'd say by the time he said he's writing Mel, months likely might have passed since the assasination on Jon. Who knows where she is? She might even think Daenerys is Azor Ahai, if word reaches her fast enough about dragons. Not sure if she'll be tolerated up North if Stannis falls apart and Jon might get into ruling position. After all, she's talking about false gods up North, and if she doesn't play a part in Jon's ressurection, little she can show that'd protect her.

1 hour ago, CamiloRP said:

It says "winter is coming". I'm grasping at real thin straws here, but still.

Since the post related to TWOW nowhere, I suspect we might really get TWOW this year. That's why I was asking on what people think about the reworking phrase (how long would it take, would George inform us if he reaches that phrase, etc...).

It gave me a little hope, honestly.

2 minutes ago, Daeron the Daring said:

Since the post related to TWOW nowhere, I suspect we might really get TWOW this year.

That was exactly my thinking!

Since ~June 2020 I been getting more and more hopeful, since that time I've been saying we'll get a release date by May 2021, I still think I might be right! 

49 minutes ago, CamiloRP said:

That was exactly my thinking!

Since ~June 2020 I been getting more and more hopeful, since that time I've been saying we'll get a release date by May 2021, I still think I might be right! 

Also, he said that he almost can't break any news about himself because the media is earlier. But he literally told nothing except what we know, wnd that he'll tell things in a future post. Does it mean he'll really announce TWOW sometimes the not-so-far future?

My god, this really made me excited.

1 hour ago, Daeron the Daring said:

Since the post related to TWOW nowhere, I suspect we might really get TWOW this year. That's why I was asking on what people think about the reworking phrase (how long would it take, would George inform us if he reaches that phrase, etc...).

It gave me a little hope, honestly.

I think you are reading too much into the img.

It was a stark motto img and the rest of the text was grrrm talking about his life as he does a lot of times.

What might be interesting for twow is that he is leaving his cabin. That should mean he plans to finish the book in the near future or is very far away from finishing it and there is no point in remaining in his cabin.

In regards to the plot. Him not talking about the north and mereen is very bad because those 2 areas are the most problematic for the story. He has to fit the timelines in those 2 places with a lot of things either in the present or for futere events.

50 minutes ago, Daeron the Daring said:

Also, he said that he almost can't break any news about himself because the media is earlier. But he literally told nothing except what we know, wnd that he'll tell things in a future post. Does it mean he'll really announce TWOW sometimes the not-so-far future?

I really hope so!

My god, this really made me excited.

I'm so sorry

On 4/15/2021 at 3:53 PM, Daeron the Daring said:

My question was if he'll inform us when he actually finishes TWOW, and begins rereading/rewriting it (the way I meant above, not the way he possibly did before, when he likely threw hundreds of pages into trash)? 

He won't, because there won't be a point when he's like: "Ok I've written everything, let's start all the rewritings now!". He constantly writes and rewrites every chapter, bit by bit, until everything is ready for the final review, which requires little reworking afterwards. George pretty much includes the editing in his writing progress. I think this was why the editing process of the book only took ~4 months (from Dance's announcement on NaB in march 2011 to its release in July 2011) when it can take much longer for other books. 

When he announces completion, both the writing and the rewriting parts will be done, because he's been pretty much doing both at the same time since he started Winds (at least from what I understand). 

5 hours ago, The Winged Griffin said:

He won't, because there won't be a point when he's like: "Ok I've written everything, let's start all the rewritings now!". He constantly writes and rewrites every chapter, bit by bit, until everything is ready for the final review, which requires little reworking afterwards. George pretty much includes the editing in his writing progress. I think this was why the editing process of the book only took ~4 months (from Dance's announcement on NaB in march 2011 to its release in July 2011) when it can take much longer for other books. 

When he announces completion, both the writing and the rewriting parts will be done, because he's been pretty much doing both at the same time since he started Winds (at least from what I understand). 

I agree with this. And I'm not trying to give out false hope, but I believe this is the process he has been in for nearly six years.

I bet he has Winds nearly complete, and is starting his early draft (early, EARLY draft) for A  Dream

of Spring.
I couldn't imagine him working his way through The Winds of Winter and not cultivating and growing seeds for A Dream of Spring.

He probably has so much material, he doesn't know what to do with it all.
Seriously, can you imagine writing a story of this magnitude and honestly believe it all gets printed in the book? Of course not.

On 3/30/2021 at 12:20 PM, LynnS said:

GEORGE R.R. MARTIN (author, co-executive producer):  It wasn't easy for me.  I didn't want to give away my books.  It's not easy to talk about the end of my books.  Every character has a different end.  I told them who would be on the Iron Throne, and I told them some big twists, like Hodor and "hold the door", and Stannis decision to burn his daughter.  We didn't get to everybody by any means.  Especially the minor characters who may have very different endings.  

Wow, I'm not a Stannis mark by any means, but I never thought he would be the one to make the choice to burn Shireen.

• 2 weeks later...

He said: "If I must sacrifice one child to the flames to save a million from the dark. . . Sacrifice . . . is never easy, Davos. Or it is no true sacrifice.". As much as it would be a sacrifice for him, it could happen. Sacrifice must be something personal. Burning people you don't care is not sacrifice.

For the: "I told them who would be on the Iron Throne", I always understood: "I told them who would follow on the IT". And there could be some. Not: "The IT will remain at the end, and someone will sit on it".

On 4/25/2021 at 11:38 AM, BalerionTheCat said:

For the: "I told them who would be on the Iron Throne", I always understood: "I told them who would follow on the IT". And there could be some. Not: "The IT will remain at the end, and someone will sit on it".

Don't know if trolling or really that hard trying to convince yourself? Not other people, but yourself. Because, buddy, we both know that not even the best lawyer could win that case. 

Archived