What are the most contentious subjects on the forum?

Alyn Oakenfist

So I've seen several fire storms on this forum recently so I thought of putting them together. The ones I know:

- Anything that puts Dany in a bad light. Start a thread on the fact that Dany will undoubtedly kill fAegon in cold blood and will be seen as an usurper by Westeros and as such hated by almost everybody? Well you just got yourself the mother of all fire storms (get it? Cause she's the mother of fire breathing creatures).

- Extra points for anything about Dany with the slavers. There always seem to be some people who think slavery should have remained as it was and others that think Dany did it all perfectly without a single mistake. So the fire storm here reaches Civil War levels.

- Anything that puts Jon in a bad light. Say that nothing of what he is doing at the Wall is exactly simple and that there are no easy or fully coorect answers? That kinda of nuance is way too much for the Snowaboo's

- Anyone suggesting anything bad about the wildlings. It's fascinating how many people don't seem to agree on the simple fact that wildlings are in fact a culture predicated on raping, raiding and murdering.

- Tyrion and Sansa's wedding. Boy does this light up like a truck of dung based fertilizer.

- Tywin's strategies and methods. However horrifying one of his actions are there are still people defending them and however practical others are there are still people saying he should have been more honorable.

- Jaime killing Aerys. I'd say more but then @Lord Varys would have to intervene and explain why Jaime is a monster.

- Anything to do with Rhaegar basically. Either he's Jesus Christ or he's literal Satan.

- Renly. Everything from his personality to his competence  and most of all his decision to crown himself King will lead to a fire storm the size of his gayness

- Basically everything Cat does. It's almost as if she is written as a very flawed character designed to make mistakes but n a way that always stays true to her character.

- Aegon. I'll just put what @Miss_Saffron said here: It will inevitably devolve into a litany of all his faults, predictions that the depths of his incompetence would be rivaled only by the depths of his tyranny, and that he'll either run himself into the ground before Dany steps a foot into Westeros or will fall flat on his face like a noob as soon as she breathes in his direction. Pointing out that he is clearly meant to be an antagonist for Dany and therefore neutering him as quickly and as completely as many would want makes for a weak and boring plot act means you're just Aegon's shill. 

- Arya. She is either worse then Ramsay or she is a saint that definitely hasn't killed an innocent man that just wanted to escape from an unjust life sentence.

- The Dance. Almost everybody here is pro black for some reason, even if the 2 sides are morally and legitimacy wise almost perfectly balanced as all thing should be, but there are enough pro Greens to make all Dance related discussions a dragonfire storm of whataboutism.

That's the ones I know. Feel free to point out more and I'll edit them in. For the record this is not a thread for debating said contentious subjects as the mods have had to block many discussions on said subjects from how long they are, so merging them together is the worst idea ever. Rather this is a thread for cataloging every subject that really seems to trigger this forum. So anyways what other topics have been known to badly trigger people here?

39 minutes ago, Alyn Oakenfist said:

- Anything that puts Dany in a bad light. Start a thread on the fact that Dany will undoubtedly kill fAegon in cold blood and will be seen as an usurper by Westeros and as such hated by almost everybody? Well you just got yourself the mother of all fire storms (get it? Cause she's the mother of fire breathing creatures).

Dany is my favorite heroine. 

Here are two additional items for your list:

1. Anything that puts Jon Snow in a bad light.  You cannot know the lengths Snowballs' excuse makers will go to in his defense. 
  2. Anything that puts Arya in a bad light.  Any comment which dares to criticize her sanity are guaranteed to bring out her attack dogs. 

• Dany daring to exist as a female power fantasy who does not solely exercise soft power through men.
    • "Mad Queen" exclamations coming in 3, 2, 1...
  • Cat daring to dislike a child whom she perceives as proof of her beloved noble husband's infidelity, and more importantly, one who was brought up in such a way that she has legitimate reason to fear for her trueborn descendants' rights regardless of Jon's own character.
    • I am not excusing Cat's coldness here, especially not the clearly unique circumstance in Bran's chambers, but she had no obligation to love Jon. Both are written very sympathetically; the audience is meant to understand how cruel this world is to (highborn) women and bastards, and how constrained their expected roles are.
  • Sansa daring not to kneel to one of her gaolers whom she was forced to marry and who belongs to the family which killed and marginalized hers, especially when said gaoler actually had the ability to accept or reject the betrothal and was clearly lusting after her.
    • Saint Tyrion does not exist in the books and never did, and even if he had, he would not be "due" any sort of extra courtesy in this context. Poor Sansa had every right not to kneel, and this was an externalization of her internal resistance narrative throughout A Clash of Kings.
  • Renly being a despicable person with all image yet no substance, but also Renly daring to betray God-Emperor Stannis (though apparently not Joffrey, even though his fans and detractors alike seem to claim he did not know of the twincest) instead of the greater problem of what his victory would entail for Westeros.

Where Dany is concerned - critiquing the methods and effectivenes of her attempts to free the slaves. If you dare to point out she made multiple poor choices in pursuit of - in itself - a very moral goal, you must be a slavery apologist and deserve to be crucified among the masters of Mereene. 

Bringing up Aegon at all. It will inevitably devolve into a litany of all his faults, predictions that the depths of his incompetence would be rivaled only by the depths of his tyrany, and that he'll either run himself into the ground before Dany steps a foot into Westeros or will fall flat on his face like a noob as soon as she breathes in his direction. Pointing out that he is clearly meant to be an antagonist for Dany and therefore neutering him as quickly and as completely as many would want makes for a weak and boring plot acr means you're just Aegon's shill. 

Any attempt at comparing Edric Storm and Gendry Waters. The people who think Gendry is a wet dishrag and the people who think Edric is a pompous ass will have a field day. 

But especially, especially, any attempt at comparing Dany and Jon. You'll invite all the Dany-haters, all the Dany-lovers, all the Jon-haters and all the Jon-lovers and any possible combination of thereof. And if you'd have a gall to suggest Dany and Jon aren't that different and share some of the same flaws Seven help you, because all that mob will tear into you. 

1 hour ago, Alyn Oakenfist said:

So I've seen several fire storms on this forum recently so I thought of putting them together. The ones I know:

- Anyone suggesting anything bad about the wildlings. It's fascinating how many people don't seem to agree on the simple fact that wildlings are in fact a culture predicated on raping, raiding and murdering.

- Tyrion and Sansa's wedding. Boy does this light up like a truck of dung based fertilizer.

- Tywin's strategies and methods. However horrifying one of his actions are there are still people defending them and however practical others are there are still people saying he should have been more honorable.

- Jaime killing Aerys. I'd say more but then @Lord Varys would have to intervene and explain why Jaime is a monster.

- Anything to do with Rhaegar basically. Either he's Jesus Christ or he's literal Satan.

That's the ones I know. Feel free to point out more and I'll edit them in. For the record this is not a thread for debating said contentious subjects as the mods have had to block many discussions on said subjects from how long they are, so merging them together is the worst idea ever. Rather this is a thread for cataloging every subject that really seems to trigger this forum. So anyways what other topics have been known to badly trigger people here?

I've never seen much argument over Tywin.

The triggers certainly are Rhaegar, Stannis and Renly and Tyrion and Sansa  and Dany being bad. These are the jackpot, there is no  user that does not get dragged in one of these.

7 minutes ago, Miss_Saffron said:

Where Dany is concerned - critiquing the methods and effectivenes of her attempts to free the slaves. If you dare to point out she made multiple poor choices in pursuit of - in itself - a very moral goal, you must be a slavery apologist and deserve to be crucified among the masters of Mereene. 

Whereas i do agree that most of the fandom, me above all,  does get too enthusiast with her quest. Most of the criticisms to Dany's actions tend to speak about the morality of her actions (killing slavers) while at the very same time praising guys like Tywin or considering the actions of the westerosi warfare as business as usual while always bringing the Geneva Conventions with Dany, it does seem like apologism.

12 minutes ago, Miss_Saffron said:

Bringing up Aegon at all. It will inevitably devolve into a litany of all his faults, predictions that the depths of his incompetence would be rivaled only by the depths of his tyrany, and that he'll either run himself into the ground before Dany steps a foot into Westeros or will fall flat on his face like a noob as soon as she breathes in his direction. Pointing out that he is clearly meant to be an antagonist for Dany and therefore neutering him as quickly and as completely as many would want makes for a weak and boring plot acr means you're just Aegon's shill. 

:bowdown: It's almost ten years and people still aren't over Aegon crushing their plans, the vilification gets too cartoonish.

1 minute ago, frenin said:

Whereas i do agree that most of the fandom, me above all,  does get too enthusiast with her quest. Most of the criticisms to Dany's actions tend to speak about the morality of her actions (killing slavers) while at the very same time praising guys like Tywin or considering the actions of the westerosi warfare as business as usual while always bringing the Geneva Conventions with Dany, it does seem like apologism.

I must admit that I've yet to see condemning Dany for the morality of her actions and excusing Tywin sicking Gregor on the Riverlands in the same sentence (not that I ever wish too, my brain would've BSOD from the dissonance). From what I saw Dany's critics more often fail into the pit of 'she has dragons and dragons are WMDs, so she has to be held to a higher standard and perfect on all couns or she'll become the unholly offspring of Morgoth and Voldemort. 

30 minutes ago, Miss_Saffron said:

Any attempt at comparing Edric Storm and Gendry Waters. The people who think Gendry is a wet dishrag and the people who think Edric is a pompous ass will have a field day. 

I have not been really active, or here for too long compared to other users, but I never saw those... kind of sad, I like them both, but Edric is my favorite.

1 minute ago, Arthur Peres said:

I have not been really active, or here for too long compared to other users, but I never saw those... kind of sad, I like them both, but Edric is my favorite

Check out The Next Baratheon thread, if you want a taste of that. Granted, it's not as bad as the Dany vs. Jon or Aegon debates (MMA fights), but there's some heat in there as well. 

Criticize Jon's leadership abilities and you get his fans rushing to his defense.  To Texas holdem; I do know the efforts they will use to defend him.  The Stark supporters come out in full force and lose their composure whenever somebody criticizes the manner in which Jon Snow handled the infractions of the two men, Mance and Janos.  He killed one and let the other off.  The criticisms are fair but Jon's defenders invent all kinds of reasons to make an excuse for him.

Anything regarding Daenerys. 

Jon Snow as LC, especially regarding Slynt, Mance, or the Boltons.

Sansa and Tyrion, especially any defense of Tyrion's actions. 

Catelyn and Jon.

Arya, especially those calling her an irredeemable psychopath.   Those cheering her on are trouble as well.

ETA - Even some of the responses to this thread show hardened one-sided attitudes. 

Can I just ask, what is the purpose of this thread?

You can see in some of the replies above, all you're doing is attracting the "I'm so rational and therefore I'm right. Not like these plebs with their extreme opinions that are wrong because I disagree with them" crowd. It's the same as your "Which fans are more wishful thinking, Dany or Jon?" thread, except you've learnt not to openly mock people in the title this time, because that gets your thread locked in six pages.

4 hours ago, Texas Hold Em said:

Dany is my favorite heroine. 

Here are two additional items for your list:

1. Anything that puts Jon Snow in a bad light.  You cannot know the lengths Snowballs' excuse makers will go to in his defense. 
  2. Anything that puts Arya in a bad light.  Any comment which dares to criticize her sanity are guaranteed to bring out her attack dogs. 

I love Arya and all her flaws man fam, you must be referring to Arya the Great Mary Sue of the show, in the books Arya is really deeply sad over the deaths of her family and goes running to the faceless men cus she has nowhere else to go.. 

Arya is likely not gonna kill the NK in the books, and it’s okay. 

Sorry for ranting about this, we ain’t all like the fans of whatever Arya was in the TV show.

Sansa: brilliant operator or simple-minded pawn?

Lady Coldheart: a big mistake, or critical to future plot threads?

Walder Frey: selfish, greedy manipulator and sex fiend, or good family man?

Azor Ahai: who or what it is (and strong rejection that "red herring" is the answer)

Jon Snow: do you stand with the assassins?

8 hours ago, Many-Faced Votary said:

Dany daring to exist as a female power fantasy who does not solely exercise soft power through men.

• "Mad Queen" exclamations coming in 3, 2, 1...

Personally though I know there are Dany haters that can get really triggered, from what I've seen on this thread the hard line Dany fans are even more ready to get triggered. Like they seem to genuinely believe she will be the God Queen of Westeros worshiped and loved by all. And then go on to explain how Aegon will be as gentle as Maegor the Cruel, as selfless as the Unworthy and as wise as The Mad King, as the way they justify the fact that Dany is so obviously going to kill him. Oh and definitely a tyrant. Cause as we know Dany's doesn't at all have a streak of absolutism that can so easily devolve into tyranny.

7 hours ago, Miss_Saffron said:

And when there's also the explanations of how all the crucified masters were guilty for the children. Every. Single. One. Of. Them. What can i say, seems legit.

7 hours ago, Miss_Saffron said:

Put it on the main post, hope you don't mind. Pretty much sums it up when talking about Aegon

Archived