Puns and sarcasms you know about the show

Alyn Oakenfist

There is no better repository than the so-called Book Snob Glossary. It has yet to be updated for Season 8, and of course could never be exhaustive, but I think it is exactly what you are looking for as a general view -- although one's appreciation of the humor may vary. (There are some entries from the Season 6 and 5 versions that are not present in the Season 7 version, but most are sobriquets of dead characters, such as Satannis.)

The same fine people who generally write about Game of Thrones on that website have also painstakingly thoroughly examined and analyzed each of Seasons 5 through 7 by plotline, with Season 8 retrospectives coming at some point. Many are split into different parts, separating humorous and appropriately scathing recaps and serious analyses. I don't recall a single instance in which I personally truly disagreed with them; indeed, there were some phenomena that they overlooked or did not mention as much as they should have, because no one can fully pin down how bad the show was. You can find the articles listed in reverse chronological order here.

Even most of us book snobs agree that Seasons 1 through 4 were watchable to good and even excellent at some points, especially because most of us tended to project the books onto the show then. Of course, they suffered from poor adaptational decisions, the bias of the showrunners and the limits of their competence, outright misunderstanding of the text, and so forth. These seasons are discussed and analyzed in a more abbreviated fashion by episode, what is good and what is bad; these reviews are also worth reading. You can find the articles listed in reverse chronological order here.

Beyond this, I am not sure if there even is common discourse about how bad Game of Thrones was, at least none that was popular and consistent enough to come up with in-jokes and witticisms to this extent.  Even now, there is a recurring insistence to see the Emperor with clothes on, and certainly that was almost always the case before Season 8. Some content creators on YouTube, such as Lindsay Ellis and Preston Jacobs, have commented negatively about the show to varying extents; but the vast majority either mostly remain apologists or pretend that Season 8 (and sometimes Season 7 as well) was somehow an anomaly that did not reflect on the rest of the show. These people can absolutely still offer good feedback and intelligent evaluations, but it is worth considering that lens, and they are unlikely to engage in the type of puns and sarcasms I imagine you are seeking.

Most other jokes are probably just memes, such as Cersei's elephants and Sandor's chickens. There is the gem that "Dany kind of forgot about the Iron Fleet," but even from Season 8, not all the memes inherently criticize the show.

I would be remiss not to recommend Turtle-Paced, and especially her Fine-Toothed Comb rewatch of every single episode, if you are interested in serious analysis from an intelligent and thoughtful book reader who tries to give the show the benefit of the doubt as much as possible but does not hesitate to point out narrative and adaptational problems. There is some humor to be found, but the value is in the analysis, so I am not sure to what extent this would suit your purposes.

If you already know all of this, I apologize sincerely for wasting your time! Hopefully this post at least helps someone else reconsider the show after removing the wool from their eyes. :P

Best of luck with your video! :)

6 minutes ago, Many-Faced Votary said:

There is no better repository than the so-called Book Snob Glossary. It has yet to be updated for Season 8, and of course could never be exhaustive, but I think it is exactly what you are looking for as a general view -- although one's appreciation of the humor may vary. (There are some entries from the Season 6 and 5 versions that are not present in the Season 7 version, but most are sobriquets of dead characters, such as Satannis.)

The same fine people who generally write about Game of Thrones on that website have also painstakingly thoroughly examined and analyzed each of Seasons 5 through 7 by plotline, with Season 8 retrospectives coming at some point. Many are split into different parts, separating humorous and appropriately scathing recaps and serious analyses. I don't recall a single instance in which I personally truly disagreed with them; indeed, there were some phenomena that they overlooked or did not mention as much as they should have, because no one can fully pin down how bad the show was. You can find the articles listed in reverse chronological order here.

Even most of us book snobs agree that Seasons 1 through 4 were watchable to good and even excellent at some points, especially because most of us tended to project the books onto the show then. Of course, they suffered from poor adaptational decisions, the bias of the showrunners and the limits of their competence, outright misunderstanding of the text, and so forth. These seasons are discussed and analyzed in a more abbreviated fashion by episode, what is good and what is bad; these reviews are also worth reading. You can find the articles listed in reverse chronological order here.

Beyond this, I am not sure if there even is common discourse about how bad Game of Thrones was, at least none that was popular and consistent enough to come up with in-jokes and witticisms to this extent.  Even now, there is a recurring insistence to see the Emperor with clothes on, and certainly that was almost always the case before Season 8. Some content creators on YouTube, such as Lindsay Ellis and Preston Jacobs, have commented negatively about the show to varying extents; but the vast majority either mostly remain apologists or pretend that Season 8 (and sometimes Season 7 as well) was somehow an anomaly that did not reflect on the rest of the show. These people can absolutely still offer good feedback and intelligent evaluations, but it is worth considering that lens, and they are unlikely to engage in the type of puns and sarcasms I imagine you are seeking.

Most other jokes are probably just memes, such as Cersei's elephants and Sandor's chickens. There is the gem that "Dany kind of forgot about the Iron Fleet," but even from Season 8, not all the memes inherently criticize the show.

I would be remiss not to recommend Turtle-Paced, and especially her Fine-Toothed Comb rewatch of every single episode, if you are interested in serious analysis from an intelligent and thoughtful book reader who tries to give the show the benefit of the doubt as much as possible but does not hesitate to point out narrative and adaptational problems. There is some humor to be found, but the value is in the analysis, so I am not sure to what extent this would suit your purposes.

If you already know all of this, I apologize sincerely for wasting your time! Hopefully this post at least helps someone else reconsider the show after removing the wool from their eyes. :P

Thanks!!

6 minutes ago, Many-Faced Votary said:

Some content creators on YouTube, such as Lindsay Ellis and Preston Jacobs, have commented negatively about the show to varying extents;

Are you forgetting the man, the myth, the legend, Glidus?

36 minutes ago, Many-Faced Votary said:

Turtle-Paced is excellent.  Dragon Lady Bad, by Linday Ellis, is a keeper.

There's also Mauler's Unbridled Rages. The one on season 8, ep. 5 is brilliant. Two words: Hot Pie.

I sometimes call the show Game of Groans. I did a rant on character acrs which should still be on the forum. But that's only on a very amateur level.

On 7/20/2020 at 1:22 AM, Count Balerion said:

There's also Mauler's Unbridled Rages. The one on season 8, ep. 5 is brilliant. Two words: Hot Pie.

The only 2 hours 30 minutes YouTube video I could willingly watch. The question remains if we're gonna get TWOW or Unbridled ep 6 first. Thought I think I prefer the episode 4 one for the running jokes, the Ghost one and the "there comes a time in all form of media consumption"

Archived