The wort choice for Arms in Westeros.

Helman Corbray

On 7/16/2020 at 6:36 AM, Loose Bolt said:

Actually people of Westeros seems to use rainbow banner instead of white flag. In fact https://asearchoficeandfire.com/ gave me "no results found" when I was looking for "white flag". So using white banner for asking truce seems to be very rare in the books.

Naturally it is almost certain that rb became with the Faith and Andals and so b4 their coming to Westeros first men had to use something else when they surrendered or send ambassadors. But we cannot know what symbols they used for that purpose. So it is possible that people living in Planetos has never used white flag for surrendering.

That's an interesting point. It's one of those details that I just assumed translated from our world to Westeros.

In our own world the white flag had it's origins both in the Han dynasty and Roman Empire during around the same time period seemingly independent of one another.

Using a Rainbow cloth would seem problematic. A white piece of cloth for a surrender or truce banner is easy enough for anyone to scrounge even under dire circumstances. A rainbow banner is a fairly specifically made item. Though I guess with the Faith maybe they're common enough everyone's assumed to have one? But dyes are expensive at least in our own world, so who knows? It seems to bring up more questions than answers.

• 1 month later...

House Stark. Grey wolf in a white field? I bet there's a lot confusion in the battlefield.

27 minutes ago, Nathan Stark said:

House Tyrell. Seriously, a golden rose? Way to strike fear in the hearts of your enemies and bannermen alike, guys.

Flowers make sense. Flowers were used by the french royalty.

Frankly, it's better than nobles obsessing over the animals in their coat of arms.

On 7/14/2020 at 10:53 AM, Aldarion said:

What do we know about how technically house arms look? Because it seems that most of them are quite terrible, actually:

House Stark: Grey direwolf racing across a field of white

Baratheon: Crowned black stag on field of gold

These are kinda shit. You see, purpose of a coat of arms is to provide identification on the battlefield. This means that it has to be a) unique and b) easily identifiable. That is to say, simple yet different. But it seems to me that many sigils would be easy to confuse if it weren't for differing colours. That is why I actually prefer show designs to book descriptions.

I actually wrote about basics of heraldry for Mythic Scribes if you are interested.

That's awesome, dude.

I wonder, we've never seen flags related to nations, cities, or states yet.  I'd love to see Westeros develop something like that.

On 7/15/2020 at 9:10 AM, Aldarion said:

It is not question of colours, it is question of sigils. Sable on gold is fine, but having an entire stag - as opposed to just head - is not. Though to be fair, it is not entirely ahistorical.

https://c8.alamy.com/comp/BYE6G2/historical-coat-of-arms-of-the-austria-hungarian-crown-lands-from-BYE6G2.jpg

As I see it, Martin based designs on later-period coats of arms which did not serve the purpose of battlefield identification, yet used them for a period in which they did. Though it does appear to be questionable whether they ever served purposes of identification, so....

That Steiermark sigil reminds me of House Velaryon's, even the name resembles Driftmark.

42 minutes ago, Isobel Harper said:

That's awesome, dude.

I wonder, we've never seen flags related to nations, cities, or states yet.  I'd love to see Westeros develop something like that.

Thing is, feudal system in Westeros appears to be rather underdeveloped. For example, lords appear to own cities, when cities - be it free or under lord's overall rule - ought to be feudal "lords" (that is, political actors) in their own right. As for nations, "nations" in Westeros appear to be under rule of individual family and use said family's flag as their own (so Stark sigil is also North's national sigil).

Baratheon: Crowned black stag on field of gold.                    

Would it be more accurate to say....

Baratheon: Black hart crowned at the neck on a field of gold.

King from the neck down? King of the neck at the heart of the world? I don’t know, but this one has always puzzled me.

I think the text mentions somewhere that house Swift's sigil is a Bantam rooster, not an ordinary chicken. Bantams are small, but ferocious. They are used in cock fights, where they will fight to the death. With that in mind, it's not such a bad choice for a sigil, especially for a lesser house. It says to the world, "we may be small, but don't underestimate us."

Also, let's remember that, in a medieval culture, most people are illiterate. So the use of colors and pictures for identification is helpful in daily life, not just in battle.

12 hours ago, Aebram said:

I think the text mentions somewhere that house Swift's sigil is a Bantam rooster, not an ordinary chicken. Bantams are small, but ferocious. They are used in cock fights, where they will fight to the death. With that in mind, it's not such a bad choice for a sigil, especially for a lesser house. It says to the world, "we may be small, but don't underestimate us."

The chicken still gets eaten

Archived