The Wheel of Time TV Show 4: The Budget Rising [BOOK SPOILERS]

Werthead

7 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Well if we're going in for total honesty...

Meanwhile, the Semirhage controlling of Rand sequence is one of my favorite in the series. A genuinely delightful exhibition in storytelling.

Why? The choking?

It was the choking.

12 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Why? The choking?

It was the choking.

Don't forget the dual-wield S&M collar.

More, please!

My great fear for the show is that they're going to cut all of Jordan's kinky fantasy elements like the control collars and non-consensual bonding and judicious spankings. Otherwise known as the stuff that makes it stand out as Robert Jordan's fantasy series instead of a CW production of Game of Thrones. We'll see, though. Not all cuts are detrimental to the final product.

14 hours ago, Poobah said:

(although Elayne gets real annoying in the "lol don't worry I'm invincible because Min said my babies will be born healthy, whoops I got myself captured and everyone around me killed" phase so I think the hate for her is quite justified if it's rooted in all the dumb shit she does,

This attitude didn't piss me off. If Elayne wants to risk her own life trying to defeat the enemy, and others die too. Well that's OK. They knew the risks.

What irritated me was when Birgitte brought up a couple very good points, like that Elayne could lose an arm or get knocked over the head and lose her mental capacity, and yet still give birth to healthy babies. But Elayne blew Birgitte off anyways.

Hell, Birgitte didn't even make the complete argument. She could've mentioned that Elayne, after being captured by the enemy, could still give birth to healthy babies.

But then I thought about it, decided that like most characters in the series Elayne is in her early twenties and could make mistakes. So I got over it. Because Pobody's Nerfect.

4 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

My great fear for the show is that they're going to cut all of Jordan's kinky fantasy elements like the control collars and non-consensual bonding and judicious spankings. Otherwise known as the stuff that makes it stand out as Robert Jordan's fantasy series instead of a CW production of Game of Thrones. We'll see, though. Not all cuts are detrimental to the final product.

Poor Mat. :crying:

Wonder if that is going to make it into the show.

5 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

This attitude didn't piss me off. If Elayne wants to risk her own life trying to defeat the enemy, and others die too. Well that's OK. They knew the risks.

What irritated me was when Birgitte brought up a couple very good points, like that Elayne could lose an arm or get knocked over the head and lose her mental capacity, and yet still give birth to healthy babies. But Elayne blew Birgitte off anyways.

That's a Sandersonism, in the Jordan books Elayne was aware of stuff like this. Her PoV specifically mentions that she could get burnt out despite the viewing, which for a channeller is worse than death, and she never uses the viewing as an excuse to do stuff she wouldn't otherwise. When she mentions it, it's mostly to get overprotective Brigitte off her back. She actually was more reckless before she knew of the viewing, so the usual fandom complaint that she turned into a reckless fool because of it is just nonsense. When she got captured in KoD by the Black Ajah the plan was actually better than many other risky plans she and the other main characters got away with throughout the series.

Sanderson not only forgot all this, but came up with the absurd scene where Elayne interrogating a shielded prisoner in her own dungeons with guards right outside is presented as some huge unreasonable risk because a jailbreak where three persons somehow overcame all prison security happened at the same time and one of its participants somehow managed to sneak up on Elayne while she was holding the Source without her noticing. And the point of all this contrived stuff and retcons was for Sanderson to give a "Don't trust prophecies too much" lecture which was already overused back in ancient Greece.

2 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

It's a pain to read the Sanderson books. I've recently re-read the first two, but can't bring myself to start A Memory of Light just yet.

Sanderson uses a hammer where sandpaper would suffice. 

Reading the recent chapters from his next book, it looks like this isn't a habit he has lost. 

3 minutes ago, fionwe1987 said:

Sanderson uses a hammer where sandpaper would suffice. 

Reading the recent chapters from his next book, it looks like this isn't a habit he has lost. 

One of the reasons why I gave up on the Stormlight Archive

Another reason is his limited vocabulary, always latching on one word to convey something regardless of setting or action. For example, in The Gathering Storm everyone should have died of hypothermia, considering how many times they "froze". In Towers of Midnight, every army, group, contingent, company or assembly is a "force". (Sorry, I needed to vent)

4 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

One of the reasons why I gave up on the Stormlight Archive

Another reason is his limited vocabulary, always latching on one word to convey something regardless of setting or action. For example, in The Gathering Storm everyone should have died of hypothermia, considering how many times they "froze". In Towers of Midnight, every army, group, contingent, company or assembly is a "force". (Sorry, I needed to vent)

Lol it's ok. It's definitely a major issue with him. I still remember when he invented a meaning for a word, then used that word like a million times in a few pages. This was "trumped", to describe the sound made by a charging chasmfiend. And it trumps left and right a million times in a few pages, and I was literally wishing one was nearby so I could toss the book into its mouth.

• 5 weeks later...

We just did a YouTube chat with a bunch of different WoT fans and people who've been keeping mega-tabs on the actors and when they've been filming and what locations have been used etc. It was really interesting and it put the absolute nail in the coffin of there being two books in Season 1. Some really interesting ideas going on there.

Hoooo boy.

Some pretty big changes there.

Spoiler

Moiraine, Nynaeve and Lan encounter the party taking the captured Logain to Tar Valon and join forces with it. Liandrin tries to turn Nynaeve against Moiraine. It sounds like Elayne is with the party, either a full sister already or a novice whose strength is being used to keep Logain imprisoned.

It sounds like Moiraine travels with the party all the way to Tar Valon, which raises about fifty questions. Who rescues Perrin and Egwene or have they already been freed by this point and are also with the party? What about Rand and Mat in Caemlyn? Is Caemlyn still in the show or is all the Caemlyn material happening in Tar Valon instead?

4 hours ago, Werthead said:

Hoooo boy.

Hide contents

Moiraine, Nynaeve and Lan encounter the party taking the captured Logain to Tar Valon and join forces with it. Liandrin tries to turn Nynaeve against Moiraine. It sounds like Elayne is with the party, either a full sister already or a novice whose strength is being used to keep Logain imprisoned.

It sounds like Moiraine travels with the party all the way to Tar Valon, which raises about fifty questions. Who rescues Perrin and Egwene or have they already been freed by this point and are also with the party? What about Rand and Mat in Caemlyn? Is Caemlyn still in the show or is all the Caemlyn material happening in Tar Valon instead?

What were they talking about? Were they using a code word for Dragon?

Aw, I missed the Min conversation. Count me as a fan, Starkess and others did a good job on her defense. The only thing that bothered me was the road getting them together. I wasn't fond of her just saying "whelp, I guess I love him now." I get that she has faith in her viewings and knows it's futile to fight it, but that doesn't mean she has to love him right away without knowing him. Go to him, sure, talk to him and get to know him so the love can happen, but it wasn't written like that and I kinda hated it.

Elayne and Avi have a place in Rand's story, but I don't really see that the harem aspect adds anything. I wouldn't mind it being cut or changed. Egwene was his romance as a villager, Elayne his widening of his horizons (and royal links), Avi was his Aiel legacy, but Min is his partner.

Actually, if someone could make an argument as to why the harem is important or if I'm overlooking something I'd love to hear it. It always seemed cringy to me, but maybe it was just so poorly written (IMO) that I couldn't get past that.

6 hours ago, Werthead said:

Hoooo boy.

Hide contents

I think you're making huge unwarranted assumptions.  I watched the Dusty Wheel stream on youtube tonight and it doesn't sound like huge changes to me.  Nothing I'd consider significant.

Spoiler

The point seems to make it seem Liandrin is one of the few Aes Sedai Nynaeve might be able to trust, so when they leave Fal Dara with Egwene later it's believable they go with her.  Also to sow distrust in Moiraine.

That's probably after Shador Logoth and before Caemlyn.  Nothing in it says Moiraine is going to Tar Valon with them.  Likely Asgard = Caemlyn (Camelot).

Plus that's not Elayne.  It's probably Alayne = Allana.  since Allana WAS cast.

8 hours ago, felice said:

Just audition scripts, though, so they don't necessarily reflect what will be in the actual show.

Callback scripts. The first audition scripts they put out were probably completely fake, but the callback scripts would be closer to the final material (they have to be, you can't judge actors if they're reading completely different scripts to the final version).

Also, I'm glad none of these actresses got the role. They're okay but none of them really jumped out to me.

What were they talking about? Were they using a code word for Dragon?

Yeah, Naga (a type of serpent as well). The temple is the White Tower, Asgard is Tar Valon. 

I think you're making huge unwarranted assumptions.  I watched the Dusty Wheel stream on youtube tonight and it doesn't sound like huge changes to me.  Nothing I'd consider significant.

We do have other avenues of information, so sometimes info by itself is not particularly revelatory but when combined with what we've seen elsewhere, it starts making more sense.

Spoiler

As of right now, they haven't filmed any material for Caemlyn apart from Base Gill's inn (which obviously doesn't need to be in Caemlyn, it could be moved to Tar Valon or anywhere else) and they have not cast most of the Trakands or Elaida. Elayne is up in the air, with a very strong actress candidate having been seen on set, but not announced yet, but she could be someone else. However, we do know they have filmed multiple scenes for Tar Valon and they've built some sets for the White Tower.

The callback scripts also mention they are 200 miles from Tar Valon. Assuming they're not completely changing the geography of the Westlands, that puts them 600+ miles from Caemlyn, so it sounds like they've travelled with them for quite a long time.

Elayne in the script being Alanna is possible, as Alanna has been cast and the actress was actually a valuable source of information via Instagram about what was being filmed when.

Haven't listened to that lengthy Dusty Wheel episode but my general feeling is that a lot is being made out of very little information and I'm gonna wait and see rather than panic. Also EotW really does not have 8 episodes of filmable material and I've always been of the opinion that they would need to introduce other characters and plots, expand the worldbuilding, and introduce important elements for later as soon as they can so there's nothing much here that's especially surprising or shocking. Since they're adapting something that's already finished they have all the insight and hindsight they need to figure out who/what's important and how to adjust the various story threads to blend together better for TV so that the principal characters all get ongoing screen time and there aren't lengthy lulls where nothing happens.

Archived