The Wheel of Time TV Show 4: The Budget Rising [BOOK SPOILERS]

Werthead

Rumours swirling that for Season 2 they're looking to cast a "princess and future queen."

Obviously that strongly fits Elayne (despite rumours that she was cast for a couple of scenes for Season 1, but the rest of her family were not), although if they were being coy that might also fit Faile (semi-accurately), Berelain (half-accurately) or Tuon (if, as some fans have suggested, they introduce her early in the Book 2 Seanchan storyline).

Also apparently they are looking for the maximum number of years for the role, which would be 6+1, suggesting they envisage the show lasting at least 7 seasons and maybe 8. Good news for those fearing Amazon were going to start Netflixing their shows and not asking for show proposals that last more than 2 or 3 seasons at the most.

22 hours ago, Werthead said:

Rumours swirling that for Season 2 they're looking to cast a "princess and future queen."

Obviously that strongly fits Elayne (despite rumours that she was cast for a couple of scenes for Season 1, but the rest of her family were not), although if they were being coy that might also fit Faile (semi-accurately), Berelain (half-accurately) or Tuon (if, as some fans have suggested, they introduce her early in the Book 2 Seanchan storyline).

Also apparently they are looking for the maximum number of years for the role, which would be 6+1, suggesting they envisage the show lasting at least 7 seasons and maybe 8. Good news for those fearing Amazon were going to start Netflixing their shows and not asking for show proposals that last more than 2 or 3 seasons at the most.

There really are a lot of princesses in WoT. They just never get called that. And they're all strangely unsnooty and in the thick of the action, which while somewhat unrealistic, works in their favor.

Shooting on Season 1 wrapped today, just two days short of exactly twenty months after they started filming (and twelve months after they were supposed to have finished but, y'know, pandemic).

Work on Season 2 is already underway.

This is promising.

It could be compared to our 16th or 17th century, in which different cultures intertwine. It is a world in which there are no firearms, still fighting with swords and bows. The chosen women in this world have the ability to control the forces of nature, for example, to unleash a storm or cut down a tree by thought alone. Only women can use this power, because when men have this power, they will abuse it. Men have physical power and women have magic. It is a classic duel of good and evil, a story of balance between good and evil, light and darkness.

10 minutes ago, Werthead said:

This is promising.

It could be compared to our 16th or 17th century, in which different cultures intertwine. It is a world in which there are no firearms, still fighting with swords and bows. The chosen women in this world have the ability to control the forces of nature, for example, to unleash a storm or cut down a tree by thought alone. Only women can use this power, because when men have this power, they will abuse it. Men have physical power and women have magic. It is a classic duel of good and evil, a story of balance between good and evil, light and darkness.

Bad translation here, the production designer not understanding the script, or a change? Because this would be an insulting change.

3 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

Bad translation here, the production designer not understanding the script, or a change? Because this would be an insulting change.

Bad translation. Men can't use the power because they'd go mad and die, that's still the same.

The promising bit was the fact it's culturally and artistically the 16th/17th Century, just without gunpowder, which is a key but subtle part of the worldbuilding I feared they'd miss.

But was it a one hump camel or two?

Shade of difference but the ramifications on the worldbuilding are strong. Almost makes me want to tug my braid (says the balding old man) 

Apparently a few days ago, the German Amazon Prime Twitter dropped this video featuring Rosamund Pike as Moiraine. It looks like the scene they pulled that much tighter image of her face from.

Spoiler

You can even glimpse a horned trolloc fighting in the background.

43 minutes ago, Ran said:

Apparently a few days ago, the German Amazon Prime Twitter dropped this video featuring Rosamund Pike as Moiraine. It looks like the scene they pulled that much tighter image of her face from.

Reveal hidden contents

You can even glimpse a horned trolloc fighting in the background.

hmm, that doesn't look like 16-17th century attire.

2 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

hmm, that doesn't look like 16-17th century attire.

Yes, there were remarks wondering if H&M had a licensing deal...

I'll be honest, RJ's exhaustive detail about clothing could be, uh, exhausting, but there's really very little excuse not to try and follow his vision to a T. I don't know why costumers don't see that as a challenge to meet, rather than something to at best pay lip service to while they do whatever it is they feel like doing.

1 hour ago, Ran said:

Yes, there were remarks wondering if H&M had a licensing deal...

I'll be honest, RJ's exhaustive detail about clothing could be, uh, exhausting, but there's really very little excuse not to try and follow his vision to a T. I don't know why costumers don't see that as a challenge to meet, rather than something to at best pay lip service to while they do whatever it is they feel like doing.

Well on the book covers the clothing were garish and unaethetically pleasing for the most part.  If the costume designers bounced off that like a stampede of horses running into a brick wall I'd understand.

There were some leaked pictures of Rosamund Pike in costume where it looks like she's wearing the same thing (a 16th/17th C dress), just undone and in poorer lighting conditions.

Based on various factors, including Orbit confirming a 4 November release date for their new TV tie-in editions of the books, it looks like 26 November is emerging as the most likely date for the show to bow. Assuming a 3-episode drop followed by 5 weekly releases (typical for Amazon shows at the moment), that would put all eight episodes out before the end of December. They could also do some marketing based around #BlackAjahFriday if they wanted.

I suppose I could nitpick that shot of Moiraine further and ask why is she doing the general trope of closing her eyes when unleashing magic? I do believe seeing the weaves is a big part of the act of channeling the OP.

7 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

I suppose I could nitpick that shot of Moiraine further and ask why is she doing the general trope of closing her eyes when unleashing magic? I do believe seeing the weaves is a big part of the act of channeling the OP.

She seems to be closing her eyes when embracing the Source and then opening them to unleash whatever it is she's going to unleash. Not quite how it's done in the books, but as a visual shorthand it could work.

Visualising the One Power has always been a problematic aspect of the franchise. People can't see the weaves unless they can channel, so they have to demonstrate the dichotomy: maybe show Moiraine's POV with the weaves flowing around her and then cut to say Mat or Perrin to show their view without the weaves present (The Nevers just did something very similar at the end of its third episode), or just sick with one perspective.

I do know that at some point in the first season we do get to see the One Power in full flow with VFX going crazy, but I suspect it's not in Episode 1 (which is where the shot is from). It's more likely to be Episode 4 or 5 (whichever one ends up being the Logain super-episode with Logain vs. multiple Aes Sedai, probably 4 based on last reports).

13 minutes ago, Werthead said:

She seems to be closing her eyes when embracing the Source and then opening them to unleash whatever it is she's going to unleash. Not quite how it's done in the books, but as a visual shorthand it could work.

Visualising the One Power has always been a problematic aspect of the franchise. People can't see the weaves unless they can channel, so they have to demonstrate the dichotomy: maybe show Moiraine's POV with the weaves flowing around her and then cut to say Mat or Perrin to show their view without the weaves present (The Nevers just did something very similar at the end of its third episode), or just sick with one perspective.

I do know that at some point in the first season we do get to see the One Power in full flow with VFX going crazy, but I suspect it's not in Episode 1 (which is where the shot is from). It's more likely to be Episode 4 or 5 (whichever one ends up being the Logain super-episode with Logain vs. multiple Aes Sedai, probably 4 based on last reports).

There is clearly a blue glow below her as her eyes are closed. Not sure that's a representation of her embracing the Source. I hope we do get see weaves. It's something that, if done right, could set apart this fantasy series from others.

The dialogue itself isn't part of the scene right? Because I really cannot see Moiraine being Moiraine if she delivers such a relatively cheesy line. 

A November release would be interesting. I'm wondering if Amazon is just hoping the situation worldwide will be better for the release. Sad it isn't sooner, but maybe they want the time to ramp up marketing too.

Archived