The Wheel of Time TV Show 4: The Budget Rising [BOOK SPOILERS]

Werthead

23 hours ago, Werthead said:

There were some leaked pictures of Rosamund Pike in costume where it looks like she's wearing the same thing (a 16th/17th C dress), just undone and in poorer lighting conditions.

Based on various factors, including Orbit confirming a 4 November release date for their new TV tie-in editions of the books, it looks like 26 November is emerging as the most likely date for the show to bow. Assuming a 3-episode drop followed by 5 weekly releases (typical for Amazon shows at the moment), that would put all eight episodes out before the end of December. They could also do some marketing based around #BlackAjahFriday if they wanted.

I've been seeing your name dropped all over on Reddit a lot with this tidbit as support and hope.

I'm all, "I know him! Well, sort of. We hang out in the same circles. Sort of. He's banned me a couple of times. He almost showed up to a London pub meet 10 years ago I was able to attend." 

(Ok, I don't actually say that, but I do think it. :) )

On 5/17/2021 at 8:51 AM, Which Tyler said:

I can't believe they'd cast that beast! The show might as well be canceled now due to lack of artistic integrity or adherence to the source material. :)

I'll be honest: there's quite a lot from the revealed teases and footage that doesn't match my mental picture from the books, but it all still looks like a high caliber show. Nothing like Shannara or Seeker nonsense. Looks much better than the leaked Witcher footage, to be sure. Remember the first glimpse at Geralt's wig?

22 minutes ago, Myrddin said:

I can't believe they'd cast that beast! The show might as well be canceled now due to lack of artistic integrity or adherence to the source material. :)

I'll be honest: there's quite a lot from the revealed teases and footage that doesn't match my mental picture from the books, but it all still looks like a high caliber show. Nothing like Shannara or Seeker nonsense. Looks much better than the leaked Witcher footage, to be sure. Remember the first glimpse at Geralt's wig?

I like the guy's costume, very colorful, not the typical dreary, dirt covered look that too many fantasies adhere to. Hope is rekindled. :P

As to the Bactrian camel, I suppose. Maybe it's from Shara. I like the look of the street and buildings, too.

Rafe Judkins doing a new Q&A on Instagram:

• The shortest episode after editing is 50 minutes, the longest is 65.
  • Most of the cast do their own stunts.
  • They have codenames for the various Trolloc prosthetics/characters. One is called "Betty." Narg will 100% appear.
  • Judkins is most excited to an introduce a character in Season 2 whose name starts "EL" (sneaky).
  • After Season 1 the team broke the books down into an outline for the rest of the TV show. The show won't last 14 seasons and future seasons will combine multiple threads, books and characters together.
  • People who can channel will see channelling in the show, people who can't, won't (so there'll be some kind of POV device to indicate that).
  • First season is much more of an ensemble broke up equally between characters; the characters with the lion's share of the material in the book won't necessarily have the most screen time (i.e. Rand won't be as dominant as he is in the novel).
  • Several of the actors are in a race to finish all 14 novels, and one has already won.
  • Lan's colour-changing cloak has unfortunately been axed for reasons of cost. It was a cool idea but cost-prohibitive for something that plays such a minor role.

On 5/19/2021 at 7:29 PM, Poobah said:

Apparently the title page of the first episode of season 2's script was up for a hot second on the official twitter before being deleted:

Is that maybe related to the old Aes Sedai sisters that Moiraine visits to learn about prophecies? Vandene and Aleras, I think they're called.

• 1 month later...

Looking like those November dates are pretty solid at this point, just a question of when. Nov 26th was the rumour, but it could easily be a week or three earlier.

21 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

So probably by August we'll have a proper trailer?

That seems reasonable.

Hilariously, for all the complaints about how little they've shown us, WoT is by the most heavily-trailed Amazon original series of all time, which is more a commentary on how secretive Amazon are with their projects normally.

Growing rumours that Lord of the Rings will launch in March/April, so don't be surprised if WoT is accompanied by a media launch for that show as well.

I’m going to cheat and use this place to ask a book question. (The WoT book thread was nowhere to be found, and I’m not going to make a new one for one question)

I’m nearing the end of a reread. And on at least two occasions Sanderson makes it seem like Tear is further west than Illian.

Did he get the two countries mixed up? Or did he not bother to look at the maps at the beginning of every book?

36 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

I’m going to cheat and use this place to ask a book question. (The WoT book thread was nowhere to be found, and I’m not going to make a new one for one question)

I’m nearing the end of a reread. And on at least two occasions Sanderson makes it seem like Tear is further west than Illian.

Did he get the two countries mixed up? Or did he not bother to look at the maps at the beginning of every book?

I am slogging my way through AMoL now, but I reread the others last year so I don't recall this mistake. Where is it mentioned? 

I wouldn't be surprised. Ultimately, Sanderson was not good at this.

8 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

I am slogging my way through AMoL now, but I reread the others last year so I don't recall this mistake. Where is it mentioned? 

I wouldn't be surprised. Ultimately, Sanderson was not good at this.

Towards the end of The Gathering Storm

Meh. I guess I didn’t have to use spoiler tags. I didn’t notice the warning in the title. Too late  

While talking with Bashere about the Seanchan invasion Rand says, " Tear will be theirs by the time this is through, probably Illian as well".

It just seemed like a weird way to put that, considering Illian and the plains of Maredo are still between Tear and Seanchan held lands. But Rand seems to be implying that Tear is in more danger than Illian, even though the Seanchan are right on Illian's border.

It just seemed strange to me, like he didn't know where all the countries were located in relation to each other.

15 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Meh. I guess I didn’t have to use spoiler tags. I didn’t notice the warning in the title. Too late  

Hide contents

While talking with Bashere about the Seanchan invasion Rand says, " Tear will be theirs by the time this is through, probably Illian as well".

It just seemed like a weird way to put that, considering Illian and the plains of Maredo are still between Tear and Seanchan held lands. But Rand seems to be implying that Tear is in more danger than Illian, even though the Seanchan are right on Illian's border.

It just seemed strange to me, like he didn't know where all the countries were located in relation to each other.

Ha, wow. Not to mention that Tear has the strongest fortress in the westlands and Illian doesn't even have walls. 

On 7/1/2021 at 2:21 AM, Werthead said:

ilariously, for all the complaints about how little they've shown us, WoT is by the most heavily-trailed Amazon original series of all time,

They've had no trailers to speak of. They've had a logo (and theme?) reveal teaser now, 4-5 months before the premiere, and two 3-second clips revealing two actors in costume.

The Boys had a minute-long teaser trailer 9 months before the premiere of the first season, revealing all the main cast in costume with a number of clips from across the season. They released a second teaser 6 months before the premiere, and a full trailer 3 months prior to the premiere.

They definitely have done more short teases of props and the like on-line, along the lines of what HBO did for the first Game of Thrones season showing things like the Valyrian dagger and other bits-and-bobs to intrigue people and interest fans. 

But as far as trailers go, The Boys was much, much more marketed with trailers over a much longer period of time.

1 hour ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Reveal hidden contents

I think it's a reference to 

Spoiler

Seanchan agents being seen in Tear, and the suggestion that the Seanchan might bypass Illian to take Tear by sea and then take Illian afterwards.

Ha, wow. Not to mention that Tear has the strongest fortress in the westlands and Illian doesn't even have walls. 

The Stone is almost impossible to take. The city of Tear itself is much easier to take (Guaire Amalasan took the city, he just wasn't able to seize the Stone itself). Illian doesn't have walls, but the swampy surrounds make attacking it even harder.

They definitely have done more short teases of props and the like on-line, along the lines of what HBO did for the first Game of Thrones season showing things like the Valyrian dagger and other bits-and-bobs to intrigue people and interest fans. 

This is what I was referring to. They've released more featurettes and teases, albeit very short ones, than any other show they've done before. The Boys did have a more substantive teaser trailer out longer before release though. I suspect WoT would have done that as well but the pandemic made it impossible for them to know when the release date would have been (and even now the date seems to be in flux).

Plenty of strong suggestions that LotR will air a couple of months later in early 2022 (with possibly The Expanse's finals season separating the two), and they haven't released anything of any kind whatsoever despite being in production for almost eighteen months, and we still don't even know the show's name, which is surprising.

13 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

He got a lot of things either mixed up, or placed closer or father apart than expected. Which is fine, since he wasn't the original author. More surprising the editing team didn't catch these. 

5 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Hide contents

A sea invasion could maybe explain this. Except that Tear isn't exactly easy to attack by sea, either, especially if you leave Illian free to come to a naval and land based rescue, not to mention the Sea Folk. 

Archived