The Wheel of Time TV Show 4: The Budget Rising [BOOK SPOILERS]

Werthead

15 minutes ago, SpaceChampion said:

If it's #4 I assume we'll hear something from Harriet fairly soon.

I don't think we will after last time. I think we'll just hear a brief whump as the small asteroid Bezos personally mass-drived into orbit lands on Red Eagle's office.

1 hour ago, Corvinus85 said:

I assume we'll have a trailer this Friday at the virtual ComicCon.

Nope. Or at least not as of a few days ago. Amazon is doing this thing for some new projects which they call "global saturation marketing" (yay, buzzspeak) which identifies a narrower launch window and then smashes it with marketing out the wazoo, 6-12 weeks from release. Combined with Rafe saying last week to look for a trailer at "the end of the summer," I think we're still a month out.

9 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Nope. Or at least not as of a few days ago. Amazon is doing this thing for some new projects which they call "global saturation marketing" (yay, buzzspeak) which identifies a narrower launch window and then smashes it with marketing out the wazoo, 6-12 weeks from release. Combined with Rafe saying last week to look for a trailer at "the end of the summer," I think we're still a month out.

Booo. So what are they going to have? Just a regular panel where they talk about nothing? Maybe some behind-the-scenes, some screenshots of the actors in full costumes?

A Memory of Light re-read [SPOILERS]

So I finally got past the enormous chapter that is the The Last Battle, largely a bloated mess with a few good scenes and sequences. One of the best is Egwene's end, but its setup had a deus ex moment: Egwene reasons that for each weave there is a counter weave, which is news to me. There are weaves that are effective at cutting other weaves, so they unravel, but we never got a weave that fully cancelled out another weave. 

On 7/19/2021 at 6:28 PM, Corvinus85 said:

A Memory of Light re-read [SPOILERS]

So I finally got past the enormous chapter that is the The Last Battle, largely a bloated mess with a few good scenes and sequences. One of the best is Egwene's end, but its setup had a deus ex moment: Egwene reasons that for each weave there is a counter weave, which is news to me. There are weaves that are effective at cutting other weaves, so they unravel, but we never got a weave that fully cancelled out another weave. 

Yeah this was very clearly a Sanderson scene. I think RJ intended for Egwene to die, or at least be burned out (given that he wrote the scene with Cadsuane being cornered into being Amyrlin), but where Egwene figuring out Traveling, or how Rand reasoned out the way to cleanse Saidin were so well laid out, this definitely was a deus ex machina moment, spoiled by Egwene spontaneously generating the weave earlier in the book out of nowehere at all. 

Given that this is the sole major character death in the series, you’d think they’d have worked harder on it, no?

4 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

*cough * Bela :P

Bela did get an epic "death", but I see your point about her being a major character. The Creator is clearly in the uppermost tier in terms of importance. ;)

However, they retconned this later, and Bela is in fact, not dead. As befits the Creator. So my point still stands. :D

9 hours ago, fionwe1987 said:

Yeah this was very clearly a Sanderson scene. I think RJ intended for Egwene to die, or at least be burned out (given that he wrote the scene with Cadsuane being cornered into being Amyrlin), but where Egwene figuring out Traveling, or how Rand reasoned out the way to cleanse Saidin were so well laid out, this definitely was a deus ex machina moment, spoiled by Egwene spontaneously generating the weave earlier in the book out of nowehere at all. 

Given that this is the sole major character death in the series, you’d think they’d have worked harder on it, no?

I've finished the book. At least two thirds of it reads like fan fiction. I hope the show can improve on the last act of this big, epic story.

3 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

I've finished the book. At least two thirds of it reads like fan fiction. I hope the show can improve on the last act of this big, epic story.

I don't know if they would improve it, but they'd have no choice but to change it a lot, they won't have the budget for 723 repetitive scenes of our guys fighting Trollocs. And thank goodness for that.

1 hour ago, David Selig said:

I don't know if they would improve it, but they'd have no choice but to change it a lot, they won't have the budget for 723 repetitive scenes of our guys fighting Trollocs. And thank goodness for that.

If the budget is $12 million per ep in Season 1, by the time they get to Season 8 (or whatever) it'll be a lot more. And if they get to Season 8 it'll be a big smash hit show and they'll likely give them what they need to see it out in style.

6 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

Bad fanfic, at that.

If were writing a fanfic end to WoT, I couldn't imagine skipping a reunion between Siuan and Moiraine. I wouldn't forget the groundwork RJ laid for a meeting between Egwene and Cadsuane. And so on.

Both because of its length and plotting, WoT had a lot of characters spend significant time alone before they meet up with old friends again, and there was a lot to mine there that would have made aMoL a lot more fun than what we got.

I hope the show, if it lasts that long, does this, too. It'll be good for their budget to have a few more scenes where it is two characters talking in a room/tent anyway. Then they can do more on VFX and costumes for the almost certainly significantly truncated Last Battle.

That said, I hope the Last Battle isn't one episode. That was monumentally stupid, in Game of Thrones. 

1 minute ago, fionwe1987 said:

Bad fanfic, at that.

If were writing a fanfic end to WoT, I couldn't imagine skipping a reunion between Siuan and Moiraine. I wouldn't forget the groundwork RJ laid for a meeting between Egwene and Cadsuane. And so on.

Both because of its length and plotting, WoT had a lot of characters spend significant time alone before they meet up with old friends again, and there was a lot to mine there that would have made aMoL a lot more fun than what we got.

I hope the show, if it lasts that long, does this, too. It'll be good for their budget to have a few more scenes where it is two characters talking in a room/tent anyway. Then they can do more on VFX and costumes for the almost certainly significantly truncated Last Battle.

That said, I hope the Last Battle isn't one episode. That was monumentally stupid, in Game of Thrones. 

Haha, half of the Battle of Merillor is at night, so it absolutely made me think of GoT as I was reading it. And the battle in the valley in Thakan'dar is during an ever worsening storm. I have no idea how those people even managed to not kill each other.

1 hour ago, fionwe1987 said:

Bad fanfic, at that.

Problem wasnt just that it was one episode, it’s the lighting, or lack thereof.

4 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Hence why I said ‘Just’.

I’ll need to rewatch it on my uktraHD tv sometime and see if its any more coherent

I saw it on an HDR10/Dolby Vision 4k TV, and it's still a shit episode that makes no sense.

Archived