Jump to content
Werthead

The Wheel of Time TV Show 4: The Budget Rising [BOOK SPOILERS]

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

No one's shared the poster yet?

 

 

ETA: I remember spy photos from the set with much speculation what these pillars were. In the comic con panel, Rafe said this is from an "iconic moment" in EotW. 

It still doesn't look like a way gate or portal stones. What iconic moment am I forgetting?

 

ETA2:

Here's the panel:

 

 

Edited by Myrddin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Myrddin said:

No one's shared the poster yet?

 

 

ETA: I remember spy photos from the set with much speculation what these pillars were. In the comic con panel, Rafe said this is from an "iconic moment" in EotW. 

It still doesn't look like a way gate or portal stones. What iconic moment am I forgetting?

 

ETA2:

Here's the panel:

 

 

Aparrently the alt-text for visually impaired users with screen readers reads:

"The poster depicts an iconic moment from The Eye of the World. Moiraine, standing beneath slowly moving clouds and wrapped in a blue cloak that is blowing in the wind with its hood down, looks over her shoulder at the audience as she steps through a Waygate into the unknown. She is inviting us to go on a journey with her. The words "Amazon Prime Original" and "Nov 2021" are overlaid on the image along with the Wheel of Time serpent logo and the Prime Video smile."

Which would suggest that the waygates have been visually reimagined somewhat, and/or that the image has been altered for the poster (presumably the CG for it isn't there) since there's absolutely no sign of any sort of portal or gateway between those pillars at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe it's the other end of the Waygate in Shienar, near Fal Dara.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope the pillars won't look like this in the show. Waygates are supposed to look organic and carved with vines and leaves.

I seriously thought this was some place in Shadar Logoth. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, fionwe1987 said:

I hope the pillars won't look like this in the show. Waygates are supposed to look organic and carved with vines and leaves.

I seriously thought this was some place in Shadar Logoth. 

That's how it looks in the show. There were leaked photos that match this thing exactly. Maybe they'll go with the idea that they look different in different places, or maybe the idea is that they CG in the gate barrier with all the vines and such which then vanishes when activated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, fionwe1987 said:

I hope the pillars won't look like this in the show. Waygates are supposed to look organic and carved with vines and leaves.

I seriously thought this was some place in Shadar Logoth. 

Exactly what I thought, too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Interesting thought that they might combine the Ways with the Portal Stones, and have the Portal Stones within the Ways or something. Or just have it be possible for the Ways to intersect with the parallel worlds. I do like the idea of them being huge though, which artwork hasn't always appreciated: they were designed to be used by Ogier.

An interesting idea. WoT does have a pretty major problem with plot redundancy and an overabundant love of plot coupons: devices/things/items which do a very similar thing to an earlier device/thing/item, so combining some of these elements together is a reasonable way of streamlining the story.

Edited by Werthead

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Werthead said:

Interesting thought that they might combine the Ways with the Portal Stones, and have the Portal Stones within the Ways or something. Or just have it be possible for the Ways to intersect with the parallel worlds. I do like the idea of them being huge though, which artwork hasn't always appreciated: they were designed to be used by Ogier.

An interesting idea. WoT does have a pretty major problem with plot redundancy and an overabundant love of plot coupons: devices/things/items which do a very similar thing to an earlier device/thing/item, so combining some of these elements together is a reasonable way of streamlining the story.

This isn't a bad idea. The Worlds of If and the Waygate dimensions and the World or Dreams, and the Skimming zone are all related, at the very least, so having them show up in one place isn't so bad.

 

Maybe only a few people know that Waygates can be used as Portal Stones?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 7/23/2021 at 3:28 PM, Werthead said:

 

It looks like at the bottom of the poster are strands of the One Power.  Doesn't look like how I imagined it would be portrayed, but I guess it's okay, but it would make one weave indistinguishable from another.  Perhaps it's more "raw" One Power portrayed there rather than woven.

Clearer shot in this saturated view here:  https://static.wixstatic.com/media/2dfb8c_5e2480fff2244b0cbbd77e2adfd11bb0~mv2.png

as taken from here: 
https://www.thegreatblight.com/post/7-things-you-may-have-missed-in-the-wheel-of-time-tv-poster-reveal
 

Wider view in the header image from the WOT twitter account:  https://twitter.com/TheWheelOfTime/header_photo

 

Edited by SpaceChampion

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, SpaceChampion said:

It looks like at the bottom of the poster are strands of the One Power.  Doesn't look like how I imagined it would be portrayed, but I guess it's okay, but it would make one weave indistinguishable from another.  Perhaps it's more "raw" One Power portrayed there rather than woven.

That's how I imagined the strands of the Pattern to look. For weaves, I've always tried to picture semi-translucent, energetic, fabric weaves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Corvinus85 said:

For weaves, I've always tried to picture semi-translucent, energetic, fabric weaves.

I'd have expected more of a three dimensional tangle of strands, rather than literal fabric.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We know weaves, at least some of them, are in 3D. Elayne describes Reanne Corly weaving a ward against eavesdropping by cupping her fingers in a 3d shape like a cup, for instance.

But I think it's clear that the 3d structure is formed of a complex webbing pattern, not plain sheets. I think those initial weaves are like carpets, and then as the weave comes together, it'll take on a 3d structure like a mobiois strip or other complexity structures. 

If you read Verin's description of her compulsion, it's pretty clear this is what RJ was going for:

Quote

 

To Verin’s eyes, the weave she had made resembled nothing so much as a haphazard tangle of faintly glowing transparent threads all bundled around Beldeine’s head, with four threads of Spirit trailing out of the mess. Two of those, opposite one another, she pulled, and the tangle collapsed slightly, falling inward, into something on the edge of order. Beldeine’s eyes shot open wide, staring into the far distance. In a firm, low voice, Verin gave her instructions. More like suggestions, though she phrased them as commands. Beldeine would have to find reasons within herself to obey; if she did not, then all this had been so much wasted effort.

With the final words, Verin pulled the other two threads of Spirit, and the tangle collapsed further. This time, though, it fell into what seemed perfect order, a pattern more precise, more complicated than the most intricate lace, and complete, tied off by the same action that began its shrinking. This time, it continued to fall inward on itself, inward around Beldeine’s head. Those faintly glowing threads sank into her, vanished. Her eyes rolled back in her head, and she began to thrash, limbs quivering. Verin held her as gently as she could, but Beldeine’s head still whipped from side to side, and her bare heels drummed on the carpets. Soon, only the most careful Delving would tell that anything had been done, and not even that would identify the weave. Verin had tested that carefully, and if she did say so herself, none surpassed her at Delving.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, felice said:

I'd have expected more of a three dimensional tangle of strands, rather than literal fabric.

Yes, of course 3D. I meant the individual strands, when they begin are like fabric weaves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Orbit Books have shown off their new covers with amazon tie in (I hope that's just a sticker?) with a lil sorta trailery thing with some music:

 

They look.... ok? The backgrounds aren't exactly anything special but are inoffensive and don't detract from the bit I like which is the central Wheel-And-Serpent symbol woven in with the series name and the covers aren't as crowded with quotations or other bits and bobs as some editions with just the one line at the top saying it's a #1 international bestseller, plus I think if you're gonna do a scene with characters or something then it needs to be exceptional because most of them just look silly or tacky to my tastes and I strongly dislike sticking pictures of actors on covers too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Tor ebook edition covers were the best. They took great scenes from the books and the different artists all did fairly well depicting them. 

These look indistinguishable from most random book covers. Not a fan. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wish Tor would have cost effective ways to reissue slip covers for the hardbacks. Yes, Juniper Books does this, but A. they're expensive ($200 for the set) and B. kinda ugly for WoT (ASOIAF Armor Set looks better).

I love my WoT shelf, but the spines are not that well planned out as a set.

(BUT still better than my ASOIAF HB set: five books and four different cover styles... Probably five styles when book six is released) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These new covers are okay and better than the identical painterly covers they had recently, or the jet-black-with-wheel-logo covers they had before than, but they feel a bit derivative of the landscape/photograph ASoIaF covers that Voyager had knocking around for a while, or the recent Tolkien reissues which were just photos of a mountain or whatever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...