The Wheel of Time TV Show 4: The Budget Rising [BOOK SPOILERS]

Werthead

28 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

I would like to point out that it appears the Ogier masons must have gone to the Star Wars School of Architecture and Engineering. (Easy fall, no railingsĀ :P)

Ogier never known for their strong OSHA rules.

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

Yeah, the island is about the same size as Manhattan, and the White Tower is only 600 feet tall (less than half the height of the Empire State Building), so you'd be able to see way more of the island.

I wonder if this is the White Tower then and maybe another, lower tower in Tar Valon much closer to Northharbour.Ā 

The masonry here also doesn't look very white. The Tower is supposed to be a pure white.

But if it's some other place, it's weird to show Moiraine there. Why'd she be at some random tower near Northharbor?

Also, it isn't Ogier that can make seamless stone buildings. That requires the One Power. Which was definitely used in constructing the Tower, so Ran's point still stands.Ā 

5 hours ago, Ran said:

Wonder why they opted for visible seams in the masonry of the White Tower? Odd choice given that the Ogier are supposed to be so good at masonry that the stones are laid seamlessly.

My guess is that seamless masonry just doesn't look realistic or interesting on camera.

5 hours ago, fionwe1987 said:

Tar Valon, the little we can see if it, looks good, but pretty tiny. The island is about 8 miles long, and the Tower is more or less in the center. This looks like a much tinier island, given that the river snakes up, so we're either looking North or South.

The camera looks to me like it's pointing almost straight out, so there'd be a lot of city between what we can see and the base of the Tower. No idea if it's 4 miles' worth or not, but I don't think it's going to be tiny.

It's also a promotional shot to generate new viewers. If anything,Ā  it might have been a bit off-putting for a newcomer if Moiraine were leaning on a flawless, pure white column, that'd almost look like a science fiction shot rather than a "High Epic Fantasy Series". I do expect the Tower to be gorgeous, though, the way the LotR trilogy seemed to really capture the ephemeral beauty of Rivendell. It's too important to the WoT for them to half ass a big fancy castle.

13 hours ago, Rhom said:

Ogier never known for their strong OSHA rules.

Are you telling me OSHA doesn't stand for Ogier Stedding and Holistic Architects? I've had it wrong for so many years...

Unfortunately, we're just not going to see much if actual Ogier style architecture. The Tower is actually one of their most inorganic structures, and that's because the Aes Sedai designed it.

Ā 

Their own buildings are supposed to be really shaped in different ways, and fit the environment. The way New Spring describes Tar Valon, it should be a totally alien looking city to us, with buildings shaped like cats, a school of fish, trees, and so on.Ā 

Unless they do a pure CGI city, I expect Tar Valon go look great but nothing like the source material. But hey, if they spent a lot of CGI money on Shadar Logoth, maybe they'll prove me wrong on this.Ā 

The Tower does look weird. But I think we picture it too narrow in our heads. RJ did say it was a very broad Tower, not a thin, tall spire.Ā 

But the other stuff outside it is weird.

Ā 

The Hall looks perfect. Siuan looks way over dressed, but I guess they decided against having her wear plain clothes.

The Power looks great. We saw both weaves and the effects of weaves, and I'm hoping it holds up in proper scenes. Tar Valon actually looks to be shaped exactly right, which is great too.

The music is a tad meh, though.Ā 

5 minutes ago, fionwe1987 said:

The Tower does look weird. But I think we picture it too narrow in our heads. RJ did say it was a very broad Tower, not a thin, tall spire.Ā 

But the other stuff outside it is weird.

Ā 

The Hall looks perfect. Siuan looks way over dressed, but I guess they decided against having her wear plain clothes.

The Power looks great. We saw both weaves and the effects of weaves, and I'm hoping it holds up in proper scenes. Tar Valon actually looks to be shaped exactly right, which is great too.

The music is a tad meh, though.Ā 

The music is typical trailer music. Don't count it.

I think what's weird about the WT is that it looked like a protrusion from a mountain, rather than it rising from flat land. Pretty sure the island is fairly flat. But there is a another shot where the city is seen from a great distance, and it looks massive.

46 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

The music is typical trailer music. Don't count it.

I think what's weird about the WT is that it looked like a protrusion from a mountain, rather than it rising from flat land. Pretty sure the island is fairly flat. But there is a another shot where the city is seen from a great distance, and it looks massive.

That's Shadar Logoth, not Tar Valon.

I've only read half the first book because I found that unbearably daft in terms of the decisions constantly being made, so I've got no opinion in terms of adaptation, but is the greater focus on the Aes Sedai and Moiraine than Rand and the party an indication of changes about where the show has its focus, or just a trailer choice coz they suspect it'll catch attention?

Archived