Covid-19 #16: Not Waving, Loop-de-Looping

Zorral

Actually the dictionary definition of "primary school" I find in American dictionaries (both my Random House unabridged and Merriam Webster online) is "a school usually covering the first three or four years of elementary school and sometimes kindergarten." So Americans should think that "primary schools" actually cover a smaller age range than Scandinavians do.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/primary school

38 minutes ago, rotting sea cow said:

Are you from Israel? I think that the Israeli experience is very important for the rest of the World. Unfortunately. I'd have more questions about that. For example, how many students are per class? How many students is typical for a school? Did they take *any* measure to slow the spread (like splitting classes, breaks, etc)?  How prevalent is the use of air conditioning in schools? Did they try to detect outbreaks and react to them quickly? Etc.

There was supposed to be mesure to slow the spread (i remember talk about splitting classes), it was abandoned really fast (can't remember if it was even tried), i seem to remember that school administration and parents complained about the measure because it was too hard and "not necessary because corona is over" (i'm not even kidding)

They did try to detect outbreaks, but the reaction was way too slow. On of the problems that we had was that back then if you didn't have symptoms you couldn't get tested, even though we had the capacity (back then there was less than 5000 tests per day - with around 1% positivity rate, and we have the capacity for 30000 - now we do almost 30000 tests per day with around 8% positivity rate), I don't have the data to back this up, but I think a lot of transmission got undetected and we lost control

3 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

When COVID-19 came to Canada, I would read the origin details every day (when travelers were the major source) and there were quite a few from Egypt.

The first hotspot I remember hearing about in Iowa was a group that took an Egyptian cruise.

Here it was people who entered from Italy, whether returning NYers or tourists.  (It was Italians who brought to Cuba too.)  And Ultra Orthodox returning, from various places both here and abroad, and then traveling out of New Rochelle, to Manhattan and Brooklyn.

8 hours ago, Liv Stark said:

There was supposed to be mesure to slow the spread (i remember talk about splitting classes), it was abandoned really fast (can't remember if it was even tried), i seem to remember that school administration and parents complained about the measure because it was too hard and "not necessary because corona is over" (i'm not even kidding)

They did try to detect outbreaks, but the reaction was way too slow. On of the problems that we had was that back then if you didn't have symptoms you couldn't get tested, even though we had the capacity (back then there was less than 5000 tests per day - with around 1% positivity rate, and we have the capacity for 30000 - now we do almost 30000 tests per day with around 8% positivity rate), I don't have the data to back this up, but I think a lot of transmission got undetected and we lost control

I saw something about a school in Isreal on TV about a month ago and there was a "lets pretend we use masks" spot at the entrance and inside nobody gave a shit. That school already had positive cases at the point again. 

They doctors and health care officals they interviewed seemed rather dismayed. They did suspect that AC use was part of the problem.

Might be a reason why it did not spread that fast in Austria after we reopened schools because mask discipline was also shit. They limited the number of kids per class though(50% virtual 50% at school I think). In my area they closed schools a week before summer break because they numbers did rise. Much slower than in Isreal tough. 

Or maybe it is just the low number of kids. We have 1.5 kids per women and Isreal 3.1.

Wearing masks in shops became mandatory in the UK today, I just went into Tesco express and there was me wearing a mask and 13 people not wearing masks.  To be fair one woman was in her dressing gown and slippers so expecting her to put on a mask to go to the shops when she can't be arsed getting dressed is a big ask.

39 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Wearing masks in shops became mandatory in the UK today, I just went into Tesco express and there was me wearing a mask and 13 people not wearing masks.  To be fair one woman was in her dressing gown and slippers so expecting her to put on a mask to go to the shops when she can't be arsed getting dressed is a big ask.

Did wearing a mask become a political issue over there like it did on my side of the ocean?

Or did these people just not give a damm?

7 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Did wearing a mask become a political issue over there like it did on my side of the ocean?

Or did these people just not give a damm?

They didn't look to me like people who were making a statement, more indifference.

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

Its not helped by many stores publically saying they won't enfore the ban as they don't want to get abbuse.  _ which I understand, but it would have been better if it was a private memo that went arround not a public statment.

Maybe you should do your shopping while in uniform then you can fine them.   (not really suggesting you shop while on duty)

33 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

They didn't look to me like people who were making a statement, more indifference.

Better for you and the shop employees. 

I recently read the article about the people in France who beat the bus driver to death for asking them to wear masks.

16 minutes ago, Pebble thats Stubby said:

Its not helped by many stores publically saying they won't enfore the ban as they don't want to get abbuse.  _ which I understand, but it would have been better if it was a private memo that went arround not a public statment.

Maybe you should do your shopping while in uniform then you can fine them.   (not really suggesting you shop while on duty)

It also wasn't helped by the police saying we wouldn't attend unless someone was kicking off.

I don't do my 'shopping' on duty, but i'm allowed to go into a shop and buy something.  TBH I probably wouldn't in uniform right now because someone would want me to get involved and it just would get ridiculous.

14 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Same experience for me. One woman had made a half-hearted attempt by pulling her sweatshirt up so the neck covered her mouth and nose which i suppose...progress?

On 7/23/2020 at 2:41 PM, RhaenysBee said:

After living with reusable face masks for almost two months, I can’t say there’s a safe and hygienic way to wear them. Unless you put it on at home and don’t take it off until you get back.

The latter is how you are supposed to do it: put it on at home, leave it on while you're out and take it off when you get back home. The only scenario where this doesn't work is if you're going to a restaurant, bar or some other place where you eat or drink.

5 hours ago, Altherion said:

The latter is how you are supposed to do it: put it on at home, leave it on while you're out and take it off when you get back home. The only scenario where this doesn't work is if you're going to a restaurant, bar or some other place where you eat or drink.

The only scenario where I did this was back in April when we had 70-100 new cases per day and my biggest outing was a 90-minute grocery and pharmacy run. On a semi-normal day when you spend 4-12 hours out, I don’t see how this is realistic. Well I suppose I can slowly return to 90-minute grocery runs’ being the biggest deal in my day and wear a mask as I ought to.

It’s a bit sad that we had a few weeks off. If quarantine is really the new normal, I would not have liked to taste the old one again. We all know sugar is addictive and now I’ve just relapsed. 

On 7/24/2020 at 1:06 PM, BigFatCoward said:

I live in a pretty rough area and surprisingly in the local co op past few days every person was in a mask. Can never tell which way its gonna go. 

2 minutes ago, lessthanluke said:

Anyone got any suggestions on how to stop glasses steaming up while wearing a mask? 

Tape over the nose, or some tissues under the mask - basically anything that stops your breath coming out the top

Florida, Louisiana, Texas, so many Hot Spots -- it's really bad and getting worse, despite any talk of 'plateau.'  For one thing the number of cases is really high, so staying at over a thousand patients to take care when one hasn't the beds, the staff, the technicians, the equipment already -- 5 more days around a thousand new patients a day will break the entire system.  When it was NY, personnel could and did -- bless them! -- come in from elsewhere, but so many cities and states are gong through this at the same time, that isn't possible.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/houston-miami-and-other-cities-face-mounting-health-care-worker-shortages-as-infections-climb/2020/07/25/45fd720c-ccf8-11ea-b0e3-d55bda07d66a_story.html?

This is what They have wrought and wrought needlessly.

1 hour ago, lessthanluke said:

Anyone got any suggestions on how to stop glasses steaming up while wearing a mask? 

Nose piece has not been sealed properly. Air is leaking out past the mask, probably both ways. 

Archived