Aussies: Football, Meat Pies, and Rampant SARS

Stubby

The sentence for the Claremont serial killer Bradley Edwards will drop today.

The court is located opposite where we park in the CBD.  At 0715 hrs today, there were already hundreds of people lined up for the public gallery.

10 hours ago, Stubby said:

The sentence for the Claremont serial killer Bradley Edwards will drop today.

The court is located opposite where we park in the CBD.  At 0715 hrs today, there were already hundreds of people lined up for the public gallery.

Think he will appeal or doesn’t have the resources?

I haven’t followed the case closely, but it seemed to turn on forensics, which was always going to be a tricky area given the timing of the murders.

On 12/22/2020 at 3:53 PM, karaddin said:

The Dan Andrews stans and "waterdrop twitter" are so fucking obnoxious and eager for things to get worse in NSW just so they can score political points. Its giving me a crash course in the sort of behaviour my more conservative leaning family members fixate on and while I'm never going to budge ideologically speaking I can see where the irritation comes from. Jeor and I may be well apart on policy but I'd like to think we can both agree state governments that are doing their best to protect their citizens should be judged on their success at that goal, not on stupid tribalism grounds.

I agree. I think Andrews was decisive and what he did in Victoria was defensible. It took a long time but the state was one of the few that successfully stopped COVID in the world. Hopefully this NSW one calms down, it looks like doing so for now as long as it doesn't escape into the CBD or from Christmas gatherings.

On 12/23/2020 at 11:14 PM, Paxter said:

Think he will appeal or doesn’t have the resources?

I haven’t followed the case closely, but it seemed to turn on forensics, which was always going to be a tricky area given the timing of the murders.

He didn't appeal the convictions. The way the defence ran the case was the main reason for that I think.  They didn't run a positive case and led no evidence at all.

Hard to say if he will appeal the sentence.

NSW numbers aren't looking particularly great and more concerning with several unknown chains of transmission, ahead of NYE. And they're still planning on going ahead with the cricket, with a 50% capacity crowd, which is insanity. Really really bad time of the year for this to happen.

18 cases today is a bad number, and they're starting to seep out of the Northern Beaches area. I think it's only a matter of time now before this blows wide open. We're going to get the post-Christmas surge, it's just a matter of how badly it is. NSW has proven that they can keep a lid on things with the contact tracing as long as the numbers stay below 25 cases per day. But once it starts to get above that, another outbreak will have begun in earnest.

I hope people are sensible over the New Year, but there will be enough idiots that it's unlikely to be contained. Any delayed lockdown will come at a bad time, too - four more weeks until schools go back. I have a feeling the government is likely to keep schools open this time, but for the start of a new school year it's going to be chaos.

Yesterday’s figures weren’t as bad as they look. 9 of the 18 were already in isolation before they were infectious and the venue alerts released yesterday were mostly very recent and in lower risk categories.

The unlinked cases are still concerning but it did sound like they have probable links for a few of them that they were trying to confirm so I’m really hoping we get good news today.

Only 10 today, but it's the missing links that are the real concern. They didn't pick up on it until the cluster was quite large and they never found the source, then had potential spread Christmas a week later, and NYE tonight, it looks like it could really blow up. Was listening to Norman Swan on the ABC saying that there's modelling showing there could be 3x as many cases out there, I'd assume with most being minimally / pre / asymptomatic. Not that I particularly trust COVID modelling, it's been pretty shit mostly, but I tend towards assuming the worst especially after Melbourne. Fingers crossed putting out spot fires works. Not sure if the data backs it up, but it looks worse than the earlier Crossroads cluster.

On the overreaction side of things Vic have 6 linked cases that they can trace the source of back to NSW, have mandated mask use, and WA immediately shuts its border, Because that's WA.

Norman Swan's comments on the 3x as many cases was stated like a fact when the modeling is, as I understood it, from early in the pandemic before we had greatly increased testing capacity and in particular just had a large surge of tests the week before.

I'm concerned as well but I still think asking people to work with them is the right approach, we don't want to turn it into a policing issue. 

RE: the change to the national anthem...not sure what to think. Possible conflicting thoughts that enter my mind:

• Tokenistic 
  • Better than nothing 
  • No one will remember the new words and you probably can’t hear the difference anyway
  • WTF happened to changing the Constitution (Tony promised a referendum years ago)
  • Announcement was buried in the NYE/Covid news cycle 

Happy New Year everyone! 

NYE celebrations in Sydney were very muted. I think everyone is still holding their breath on COVID. The potential for two superspreading events close together (Christmas and NYE) means that the next week will be critical as those infections start to crop up. I think if we can get through the next week with fewer than 25 cases a day, we might be able to dodge it, but I'm not holding my breath.

Happy ‘21 Aussies.

A few cases cropping up in Vic again...I’m starting to doubt my chances of seeing my family in Perth when I visit Sydney later this month. Bugger.

@Stubby: Has been too long since our last coffee on your back patio!

I’m smugly satisfied that the Aussie Open is reportedly under some threat. IMO, it’s not OK to make it difficult for Australian citizens to return to the country, while bending over backwards to allow a thousand plus tennis players and entourage enter with quarantine exceptions to facilitate training.

Best wishes for 2021 for all Aussies!

38 minutes ago, Paxter said:

I’m smugly satisfied that the Aussie Open is reportedly under some threat. IMO, it’s not OK to make it difficult for Australian citizens to return to the country, while bending over backwards to allow a thousand plus tennis players and entourage enter with quarantine exceptions to facilitate training.

I don't know, I feel like we need to try and get some normalcy, and we can't risk losing events like this.  So I'm probably for it.  I do think more should be done to get Aussies back though.  I don't really see this as we can do either that or have the players, I feel like we should be able to do both.

That said, I think we really need to think about how we stop the new strain getting in. 

2 hours ago, ants said:

Best wishes for 2021 for all Aussies!

I don't know, I feel like we need to try and get some normalcy, and we can't risk losing events like this.  So I'm probably for it.  I do think more should be done to get Aussies back though.  I don't really see this as we can do either that or have the players, I feel like we should be able to do both.

That said, I think we really need to think about how we stop the new strain getting in. 

Ok sure, do both. But it’s clear to me where the priority should lie. I haven’t been able to get a flight home and I’ve paid my share of taxes to the Aus govt over the years!

Happy new year! Numbers seem to be stabilizing at the moment, if there isn't a NYE related spike things are looking very good. Fingers very much crossed they remain this way. I was enjoying the few short days it seemed we'd eliminated the virus.

@Paxter , yes it sucks. I've had quite a few friends & colleagues who were overseas and had to pack up their lives to get home in the past year. Most have then had to spend a month in quarantine & isolation. I don't envy you. The government & airlines have not made things easy.

If you've been following the absolute insanity in twitter auspol over the last couple of days there's a sizable amount of people that have worked themselves into a frenzy with absolutely no sympathy for people unable to get home. They don't even think locking people out of their own state and preventing them from getting home is a problem, so I can't imagine their sentiments for Aussies trying to get home from overseas is going to improve :(

So many people don't seem to connect that people getting back here is limited by the states accepting arrivals into quarantine, and that doing this is an important duty we have not some unacceptable risk to stop.

One thing I don’t understand is why the Australian govt hasn’t required a negative test for returning citizens. I don’t see it as an onerous requirement and I think it would reduce the pressure and risk for the states.

10 hours ago, Paxter said:

One thing I don’t understand is why the Australian govt hasn’t required a negative test for returning citizens. I don’t see it as an onerous requirement and I think it would reduce the pressure and risk for the states.

Because the federal government is trying to do absolutely nothing with respect to the pandemic so it can't be blamed, and then by virtue of being uninvolved somehow be able to claim all credit for success.

Archived