Aussies: Football, Meat Pies, and Rampant SARS

Stubby

I'm happy to acknowledge the various points of view and all I can say with certainty is that I'm glad I'm not the one making the calls in government!

The reality is, unless they clearly articulate a policy of zero compromise and follow it through (one way or another - e.g. completely hard borders, or herd immunity and no restrictions whatsoever) there's always going to be conjecture and debate about where the line is, and why something's allowed and another's not.

Personally having spectators at the cricket is silly, given the context of all the other restrictions. There's no problem with having the match played privately and telecast so everyone can still enjoy it safely from home. If it turns out that there was a single case at the SCG, that's going to cause a major headache for all the thousands of people who went there.

Is ScoMo reading this thread? They brought in the testing requirement I suggested.

Unfortunately for me...they've also halved the flight cap.

But understandable in the circumstances, with a more transmissible variant out there. 

Brisbane spooked by one case of the possible UK variant by a quarantine worker - I can understand why they've done a three-day lockdown immediately. At least the worker was apparently very transparent and helpful about where they went etc, so they may be able to keep a hold on it. We're going to get people flying in with these variants, it's whether it will escape quarantine and get out or not. Obviously the first vaccinations will have to go to quarantine workers and anyone involved in border work.

Yeah protocols are certainly in need of being tightened up. The number of recent breaches demand it, new varient or not. Good to see some of the things which have been suggested over the past few months finally implemented. But yeah wish they'd just get on and vaccinate the border staff, and rapid antigen testing of all arrivals (followed by segregation of positives and the usual PCR) could be easily done too.

On the positive side it's looking increasingly like Victoria and NSW are well in hand.

They caught the Queensland case very, very early. Will be a bit of a test case for the transmissibility of B117 in an environment with good contact tracing and no other community spread to cloud the data, but I'm guessing (hoping) it'll be fine.

Interestingly Mark McGowan has recently been publicly asking people to buy face masks, which, as far I can recall, hasn't been advised at all previously in WA (I think I saw two masked people in 2020). The potential for an outbreak of the UK strain must be spooking a few people in government given WA people are taking very few precautions at the moment.

On 1/9/2021 at 8:35 AM, Jeor said:

Brisbane spooked by one case of the possible UK variant by a quarantine worker - I can understand why they've done a three-day lockdown immediately. At least the worker was apparently very transparent and helpful about where they went etc, so they may be able to keep a hold on it. We're going to get people flying in with these variants, it's whether it will escape quarantine and get out or not. Obviously the first vaccinations will have to go to quarantine workers and anyone involved in border work.

One of the cleaner's family members has the UK version now. :(

17 minutes ago, Stubby said:

One of the cleaner's family members has the UK version now. :(

Not particularly surprising given it's their partner. They had to have been in quarantine since in the initial positive last Thursday, and this is the 2nd test they've taken (first came back negative). Not great for them, but unlikely to have contributed to further spread.

Just now, Impmk2 said:

Not particularly surprising given it's their partner. They had to have been in quarantine since in the initial positive last Thursday, and this is the 2nd test they've taken (first came back negative). Not great for them, but unlikely to have spread it further.

Yeah not particularly surprising.

I think the States have all done well with the various summer outbreaks. It’s just a shame they can’t get the intergovernmental part of managing Covid right (but that is rightfully second order).

McGowan’s lecturing of NSW is poor form IMO. (But I am biased against him at this point!)

16 hours ago, The Drunkard said:

McGowan's been on the receiving end of federal and state NSW whining and Palmer's bullshit for months. Bruz can handle a little bit of lecturing, the baby.

Haha I’m happy to pile on re: McGowan. And here was me voting against King Colin for all those years!

(Personal: my flight to Aus in Jan predictably cancelled. Rescheduled for Feb now. See what happens. Back to the Canada thread for now!)

Emirates is the first airline to respond to the new caps by cutting all of its 19 flights per week from the middle east to eastern Australia. Even fewer options now for returning Aussies.

Meanwhile, COVID positive tennis players are being permitted to fly to Australia on charter flights. 

ETA: I noticed that even the Murdoch press was criticizing the Govt today, alongside the ALP, on the subject of returning Australians. Wonders never cease!

ABC had a FB story about the doctor that handed back her OAM after Court got this upgrade.  They had to delete it because of the sheer volume of religious bigots shitposting.  Sadly there is still a long way to go before our LGBTQI folks are accepted.

3 minutes ago, Stubby said:

ABC had a FB story about the doctor that handed back her OAM after Court got this upgrade.  They had to delete it because of the sheer volume of religious bigots shitposting.  Sadly there is still a long way to go before our LGBTQI folks are accepted.

Kudos to Dr Tuck Meng Soo for that gesture though.

And though Court might still have some influence up to a point, it wasn't enough to stop our state being the second most in favour of same-sex marriage back in the 2017 postal survey (just pipped for top spot by the Vics). 

I remember well watching the ABS guy read out the results and shedding a couple of tears when I heard that WA had my back!

Archived