Aussies: Football, Meat Pies, and Rampant SARS

Stubby

1 hour ago, ants said:

Well, our short Melbourne lockdown ends.  Good.  

:cheers:

1 hour ago, The Anti-Targ said:

How short was it? I can't remember when it was first put in place.

Started Fri midnight and will end midnight tonight, so 5 days in total.

9 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

What can be done other than to say Scott Morrison is a wanker?

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/opinion/300231816/australian-pm-wont-budge-over-terrorist-despite-jacinda-arderns-fury

70% of her life she's lived in Australia, she clearly became radicalised in Australia. Her kids are Australian. But now she's our problem if she ever comes back to this part of the world. We're sick of Australia kicking problems of it's own societal making across to New Zealand because of the most tenuous of connections to NZ, but it seems such actions are net political gains on your side of the ditch. I think we might need to pass a law that anyone convicted of a crime or deemed persona non grata in Australia will not be allowed to board a NZ bound flight or vessel regardless of citizenship unless an assessment of "societal responsibility" has determined that why the person has gone bad is mostly NZ's fault.

Impotently stamping our feet can't remain our only counter to this unjust policy.

Yeah gotta agree we dropped the ball on this one.

Libs though don't have the best track record when it comes to foreign policy.

Anti Targ

Isn’t the issue that NZ is a backdoor into Australia? So you let refugees and immigrants in more easily, who then have an eventual way into Australia they would not have had otherwise. So this is not about this individual’s case, but about the broader picture of having the option to send undesirables back to NZ if they prove detrimental to Australia.

We don't actually let refugees and immigrants in more easily. On a population basis Australia actually lets in far more refugees than NZ, and in fact Australia complains about us not letting enough in. Our general immigration policy is no more liberal than Australia's, except for the Netherlands, we have a special arrangement with them dating back to just after WW2 that made residency automatic so long as they had a job. If Australia had a problem with the myth of back dooring they would close it, not wait for the few apples to turn bad and send them back.

Nice try, but better luck next time.

Kelly finally cuts himself loose. I guess the writing was on the wall after Andrews was defenestrated and Kelly’s views became more marginal. It’s pleasing to see some of these voices getting sidelined or sidelining themselves. Bernardi, Abbott, Andrews, Kelly...who’s next?

While ScoMo’s government wears many shades, I prefer the centre-right version to the batty right-wing pandering version.

• 2 weeks later...

And it's not that much of a surprise that the Cabinet member accused of rape some thirty years ago is Christian Porter. There have been rumours of him being a bit of a philanderer with young interns etc although obviously this is a case from a very long time ago.

It's a difficult one as his accuser has tragically committed suicide and I don't know whether they'll be able to investigate or uncover very much more. While victim accounts deserve to be believed (and culturally this is something that society always struggles with), Porter has not been charged with anything by the police and I think ending his political career at this point seems premature. I suspect voters at the next election might make that decision for him.

However, in the current moment I do think his position as Attorney-General specifically is untenable. The public allegations may cause people to question his impartiality and you don't want a lack of confidence in the ability to apply the law fairly from the highest legal officer in the land. So in the coming days I expect he might have to stand aside from that office, even if his parliamentary career as a whole isn't necessarily over.

It's a damned if he does, damned if he doesn't situation.

Should probably just call an independent inquiry and he steps down as AG while it happens. I don't know how much an independent inquiry will achieve when the accuser has unfortunately passed away and the police investigation has already been dropped. If that's what it takes to clear Porter's name, then so be it, otherwise it's going to be an albatross choking the political life out of him and the govt.

6 hours ago, Skyrazer said:

And now we got Reynold's supposedly calling Higgins a "lying cow".

I guess it never rains, but pours in Canberra....

I think it's gone beyond "supposedly".  Which doesn't sit well with her teary comments in the senate - the same day that she dropped this howler.

As for Porter, it seems the only chance that the investigation is rejigged will be dependent on the findings of the SA Coroner.

Linda Reynolds is toast, I don't think she'll be able to survive those comments.

Porter might have a bit more of a chance in the court of public opinion, but I wouldn't be surprised if he takes a sabbatical of some sort or gets reshuffled to a quieter ministry.

Archived