Aussies: Football, Meat Pies, and Rampant SARS

Stubby

Pretty amazing/brutal result in WA. I will be interested to see what McGowan does over the next four years beyond Metronet. Hopefully change how the upper house works, even Antony Green was getting stuck into it.

Actually felt bad for Kirkup. Handed a dud election by a dud predecessor and seems to be falling on his sword to protect the party.

On 3/13/2021 at 3:46 PM, Stubby said:

Democracy sausage day here in WA.

Soon to be known as "the day the Libs were pummelled".

You and your weird WA habits.

Sausages go in bread, not rolls! 

We now enter the fourth consecutive day of heavy rains in Sydney. Plenty of the outer regions of the city are flooded and this rain really is just not letting up (had 150mm on Saturday, followed by 80mm plus for the next three days in my area). I recently moved house and thank goodness at the time one of my criteria was for the house to be on high ground (mainly for the natural light, but also for these types of reasons), and our backyard slopes slightly downward away from the house which helps. Only one minor leak in our roof. But plenty of other people I know have had to deal with water in the house and other types of flooding. Weather forecast says it should let up by Wednesday or Thursday.

(oh, and in case you wonder why I'm saying "our" now - I got married over the summer :D And my wife and I bought a house and we've moved in with her mother and her 8 year-old daughter from a previous relationship)

Bit of rain here as well down the South Coast - at least we're not getting a sea of snakes and spiders invading homes in search of dry ground as some reports suggest :O

Some bizarre antics from the PM's press conference yesterday. He later apologised on facebook for trying to deflect Sky News journalist Andrew Clennell's question about cleaning up his own 'house' by seemingly knowing about a complaint of harassment at NewsCorp that he had been informed about the night before (which turned out not to be true but it is curious that he had something to fall back on when pressed about the conduct of some of his staff -_- ) wonder what dirt he has on ABC or SMH if they dared to ask the same question?)

Sounds like there will be some changes in Canberra.

Porter and Reynolds set to be dumped from Attorney-General and Defence respectively. Probably the right decision in the end but by leaving it this late ScoMo has effectively been overtaken by events. Always hard to judge in the heat of the moment, though.

It'll be interesting to see who the replacements are. Dutton is being touted as one, which won't be popular. Given the news lately, Morrison will need to follow through on his words by promoting some women, so Michaelia Cash looks in a good position to get something.

I'll be interested to see who gets Home Affairs but that's about it. 

The fact that Cash and Dutton are the best that ScoMo can produce as replacements just reinforces the lack of talent on the Coalition frontbench. Their only consolation is that Labor is even more devoid of talent!

3 hours ago, Paxter said:

I'll be interested to see who gets Home Affairs but that's about it. 

The fact that Cash and Dutton are the best that ScoMo can produce as replacements just reinforces the lack of talent on the Coalition frontbench. Their only consolation is that Labor is even more devoid of talent!

Maybe I'm just partisan but I really dispute that Labor is more devoid of talent that the current Coalition line-up. I think they struggle to cut though politically but there are some experienced and competent shadow ministers who can actually speak to their portfolios. Personally, i think someone like Penny Wong, for example, is smarter that the entire Government front bench put together!

Brisbane lockdown. I don't envy being Palaszczuk and having to make that call - tourism will be absolutely gutted. Jobkeeper just ended and I'm sure any tourism-related businesses were all looking forward to the Easter break and school holidays to get their numbers up and some actual money coming in the door. Now pretty much every interstate traveller will cancel and who can blame them.

There is a little bit of schadenfreude too given that Palaszczuk was always eager to slam the border shut to everyone else at the drop of a hat, and now she's having to suffer as other states (SA, WA) automatically slam their doors shut to Queenslanders (thereby discouraging anyone to visit QLD too). But that'll be small consolation to Queenslanders.

Questions do need to be asked about how a doctor and a nurse treating COVID-19 patients weren't vaccinated by now...I know you can still catch it if you're vaccinated but the chances are much less likely. One can only assume these two Patient Zeroes hadn't got the job yet.

I swear, everytime a festive period is coming up an outbreak seems to happen somewhere.

- Xmas had the Northern Beaches

- Valentines Day had the Melbourne 5 day lockdown

- Now Qld locking down in time for Easter

:uhoh:

1 hour ago, Jeor said:

Questions do need to be asked about how a doctor and a nurse treating COVID-19 patients weren't vaccinated by now...I know you can still catch it if you're vaccinated but the chances are much less likely. One can only assume these two Patient Zeroes hadn't got the job yet.

Yeah I don't understand this. My sister in law is a psychiatrist working with juveniles in the public system here in SA. She was told that vaccination was not optional if she wanted to keep working in that role (not that she would've refused anyway), and was vaccinated a couple weeks ago now. I can't understand how staff on covid wards of all places aren't getting mandatory vaccinations prioritized.

37 minutes ago, Skyrazer said:

I swear, everytime a festive period is coming up an outbreak seems to happen somewhere.

- Xmas had the Northern Beaches

- Valentines Day had the Melbourne 5 day lockdown

- Now Qld locking down in time for Easter

:uhoh:

My wife has a theory it's whenever a national cycling competition is on. She barely avoided outbreak 1 in Brisbane last year as track nationals ended a day or 2 before, the Melbourne outbreak happened while she was in Ballarat for the national road comp, and then was about to fly up to Brisbane again on Saturday for the masters track cycling starting Wednesday, and this outbreak happened. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 4/22/2021 at 10:17 AM, Stubby said:

Got to celebrate the small wins!

The recent NSW by election seems to be causing rumblings in both State and Federal Labor. Watch this space I guess. Clearly they are non-competitive atm outside of a few State strongholds. The question is: how much is due to the pandemic versus their own waning popularity and primary vote.

1 hour ago, Paxter said:

Got to celebrate the small wins!

The recent NSW by election seems to be causing rumblings in both State and Federal Labor. Watch this space I guess. Clearly they are non-competitive atm outside of a few State strongholds. The question is: how much is due to the pandemic versus their own waning popularity and primary vote.

Enthusiastic Labor supporters on social media certainly aren't helping the party with the online demographic, despite convincing themselves that that's what they're doing. State Labor still feel like they're hiding out the disgrace from the 2011 defeat and expect the coalition to lose by default if they just play it patient, but it's been 10 years - that strategy is not working. At some point they need to be selling people on them offering something instead of just relying on the coalition becoming unpopular.

I was kinda expecting the by-election not to go in Labor's favour.

The NSW Labor govt of the noughties was one of the most grossly foul governments this country has probably ever seen and I don't blame NSW for still being allergic to them. The Berejiklian govt as a whole also seems to be decently popular. Many seem to be pointing to whatever implications this may have for federal, but I don't think state elections have too much of a relation to federal. I mean, WA seems to swing LNP federally, yet WA-Libs have been virtually annihilated.

NSW Labor is in a complete mess. The Berejiklian government seems reasonably competent, sensible and not particularly exciting. In this mould they're very much like the Bob Carr premiership of the 90s. Probably not a good comparison for the current Labor party given that Carr went on for a decade.

It's still two years until the next election though, so whoever gets the Labor leadership will have a chance to build something. The Coalition has benefited (?) from having a few leadership changes so they still seem pretty fresh despite having served three terms now. Gladys has only been around a little while, people seem to like her and she seems to have a bit of common sense, she may get a good run in here.

Archived