Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Stubby

Aussies: Football, Meat Pies, and Rampant SARS

Recommended Posts

And Kerry O’Brien followed suit. Onya Kerry.

Good news today too with the TGA authorizing the Pfizer vaccine. Given that most of Australia’s cases can be traced back to hotel quarantine...in theory we should now be able to vaccinate quar workers and stop any future outbreaks. Maybe then the flight caps can be restored.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Happy Aus/Inv Day all.

It’s still the 25th here but I’ll have a vegemite on toast tomorrow to celebrate!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/25/2021 at 11:50 PM, Paxter said:

Good news today too with the TGA authorizing the Pfizer vaccine. Given that most of Australia’s cases can be traced back to hotel quarantine...in theory we should now be able to vaccinate quar workers and stop any future outbreaks. Maybe then the flight caps can be restored.

Yes I think it's crucial to get all the quarantine workers vaccinated. Once we do them, that should give us a pretty good layer of initial protection and we can then go onto vaccinating the rest of the population.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Jeor said:

Yes I think it's crucial to get all the quarantine workers vaccinated. Once we do them, that should give us a pretty good layer of initial protection and we can then go onto vaccinating the rest of the population.

TBH I'm pretty annoyed it's taking so long to do the above. They could have done an emergency authorization just for that sub-group a while ago. The urgent need is there to stop new strains entering the community.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Once again it seems Australia has dodged the bullet with virtually zero community transmission again, but I really don't know how long this can hold. The vaccination of the quarantine workers would do infinitely more to protect us, I'd go so far as to say more than all the domestic restrictions are doing right now.

A few articles have come out (generally conservative media outlets) insinuating that Albo's in trouble as Opposition Leader. He's in a difficult position because the crisis situation gives ScoMo plenty of airtime and as long as ScoMo doesn't stuff it up, it means Albo is starved of oxygen. I feel like pushing for reform, while needed, also doesn't really resonate at a time like this when people will feel a lot has changed already (not necessarily in terms of government policies, but more in terms of their lives). For the federal government I think the biggest risk is the unwinding of Jobkeeper and how the vaccination program goes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn’t ditch Albo just yet. Wait until closer to the election, then dump him and hope for some bounce/honeymoon.

Federally, the ALP is on a hiding to absolutely nowhere. But they will clean up in WA in a month or so. And the QLD outright win was an unexpected positive.

Swings and roundabouts, unless you don’t care about state politics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Paxter said:

Swings and roundabouts, unless you don’t care about state politics.

Or you do, but you're in NSW so the ongoing corruption of the government doesn't really gain any traction when 1) the opposition is useless, 2) the government has done a pretty good job keeping it's citizens safe during the pandemic and 3) the opposition is just as corrupt without even being in power.

Hard to see any cause for optimism for NSW Labor lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/30/2021 at 2:30 PM, karaddin said:

Or you do, but you're in NSW so the ongoing corruption of the government doesn't really gain any traction when 1) the opposition is useless, 2) the government has done a pretty good job keeping it's citizens safe during the pandemic and 3) the opposition is just as corrupt without even being in power.

Hard to see any cause for optimism for NSW Labor lol

I'm a strong believer that if you added up all the state and federal parties, you'd struggle to find a competent cabinet and shadow cabinet amongst the combined group.  The quality of our politicians is a shadow of what it was in the early Howard and Keating/Hawke years.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ants said:

I'm a strong believer that if you added up all the state and federal parties, you'd struggle to find a competent cabinet and shadow cabinet amongst the combined group.  The quality of our politicians is a shadow of what it was in the early Howard and Keating/Hawke years.  

Unfortunately, we're probably not going to get any better politicians when there is so little consequence for corruption and incompetence. The Robodebt debacle incenses me but the government simply brazened it out by telling downright lies in parliament, blaming Labor, and failing to take any responsibility whatsoever. In contrast the Dutch government resigned due to a scandal involving wrongful accusations of fraud over a childcare subsidy. The Dutch scandal involved 10,000 families, the Robodebt settlement over 400,000 people.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Impmk2 said:

Hotel worker in Perth just tested positive. Perth in lockdown for 5 days. Likely UK varient.

Apparently also working as a ride share driver. Gotta love the gig economy and worker casualisation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Skyrazer said:

Third lockdown here we come!

:smoking:

Best of luck! Hope it's short, sharp, and as unnecessary as the previous 3-5 day lockdowns imposed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bloody hope so.

Was in Canberra when NSW had their lockdown and had to rush back to Melbourne to avoid getting locked out. Now we've got everyone at work scrambling to get their WFH arrangements sorted at the last minute.

Lockdown fatigue is really starting to hit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Skyrazer said:

I bloody hope so.

Was in Canberra when NSW had their lockdown and had to rush back to Melbourne to avoid getting locked out. Now we've got everyone at work scrambling to get their WFH arrangements sorted at the last minute.

Lockdown fatigue is really starting to hit.

Ours just got called off as of Midnight Saturday. Stay safe and post if you need to vent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Should be some light at the end of the tunnel with quarantine workers soon to have access to the Pfizer vacc, which has a very high efficacy. 

And it looks as if the TGA will go ahead and approve the AstraZeneca vacc (which is being manufactured in Melbs by CSL) soon.

Personal note: I finally made it back. Will be my first time seeing family in a long while when I'm done with my quar. Nice feeling, but I do feel sorry for the many thousands who I know are still stuck trying to get back, whether permanently or to see loved ones.   

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also: Kevin Andrews lost preselection for the next election. Lol.

Worth a double post!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What can be done other than to say Scott Morrison is a wanker?

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/opinion/300231816/australian-pm-wont-budge-over-terrorist-despite-jacinda-arderns-fury

Quote

Scott Morrison can hardly be expected to lose sleep over Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern’s fury at his government lumping New Zealand with a terrorist-sized problem.

Almost a year to the day when Ardern stood beside the Australian prime minister in Sydney and assailed his policy of deporting criminals that are barely Kiwi to New Zealand, she returned to that deep well of frustration over a 26-year-old terror suspect arrested in Turkey.

The woman was born in New Zealand, moved to Australia at six years old, and travelled to Syria on an Australian passport to join Isis. Concerned she may possibly return, Australia revoked her citizenship without consulting New Zealand and punted the problem over the Tasman.

Complicating matters, the woman comes with two young children. It is no understatement to say Ardern was livid.

 70% of her life she's lived in Australia, she clearly became radicalised in Australia. Her kids are Australian. But now she's our problem if she ever comes back to this part of the world. We're sick of Australia kicking problems of it's own societal making across to New Zealand because of the most tenuous of connections to NZ, but it seems such actions are net political gains on your side of the ditch. I think we might need to pass a law that anyone convicted of a crime or deemed persona non grata in Australia will not be allowed to board a NZ bound flight or vessel regardless of citizenship unless an assessment of "societal responsibility" has determined that why the person has gone bad is mostly NZ's fault.

Impotently stamping our feet can't remain our only counter to this unjust policy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...