Jump to content
Stubby

Aussies: Football, Meat Pies, and Rampant SARS

Recommended Posts

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/international/300364063/exwallabies-star-quade-cooper-had-australian-citizenship-declined-four-times

I'm not a person who can be accused of being a Quade Cooper fan, but if even he can't get citizenship when he moved to Aussie at 13 I dunno what hope there is for NZ born people who have really only known life as a [sort of] Australian. Seems to me like a lot of NZ born people are denied citizenship when people from any other country would get it, on the basis that NZ citizens are automatically granted residency and that's enough. But of course a lot of social services are not available to residents, and of course people can more easily be deported if they suddenly become undesirable even if they have not been convicted of a crime.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/international/300364063/exwallabies-star-quade-cooper-had-australian-citizenship-declined-four-times

I'm not a person who can be accused of being a Quade Cooper fan, but if even he can't get citizenship when he moved to Aussie at 13 I dunno what hope there is for NZ born people who have really only known life as a [sort of] Australian. Seems to me like a lot of NZ born people are denied citizenship when people from any other country would get it, on the basis that NZ citizens are automatically granted residency and that's enough. But of course a lot of social services are not available to residents, and of course people can more easily be deported if they suddenly become undesirable even if they have not been convicted of a crime.

As that article says the issue here is the residency requirement which is being applied across the board. In order to get citizenship he needs to have been in the country 3 of the past 4 last years, and he's been working in Japan. Working in the University system with lots of international colleages I've know many people who have struggled to (and often failed to) get Australian PR / citizenship. I don't really think this has anything to do with his NZ citizenship, it's just that immigrating too and getting Australian citizenship is a notoriously long and (needlessly) difficult process. Largely because increasingly xenophobic governments have tightened and tightened the requirements over the years, and they make a point of not making exceptions and publicising the fact.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Impmk2 said:

As that article says the issue here is the residency requirement which is being applied across the board. In order to get citizenship he needs to have been in the country 3 of the past 4 last years, and he's been working in Japan. Working in the University system with lots of international colleages I've know many people who have struggled to (and often failed to) get Australian PR / citizenship. I don't really think this has anything to do with his NZ citizenship, it's just that immigrating too and getting Australian citizenship is a notoriously long and (needlessly) difficult process. Largely because increasingly xenophobic governments have tightened and tightened the requirements over the years, and they make a point of not making exceptions and publicising the fact.

And I think we are not much better in that regard. I must say I haven't looked too closely, but the headlines I'm seeing about how hard it has been for skilled migrants to get their families here make it seem like the govt officially wants to discourage immigration. One headline I saw is claiming skilled migrants are now going back home because they can't get their immediate family in. Frikken cruel if true.

I see NZ has just popped the travel bubble with Aus for 8 weeks. That has meant my sister has had to cancel her trip to Aus she had booked for August.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/16/2021 at 12:49 PM, Skyrazer said:

Ultimately, the blame in all this mess really comes down to the Feds and their failure to get the vaccines out there. Until we get our vaccination rate up, this is going to be the new norm.

I also blame Scomo for not taking on the Commonwealth responsibility and setting up dedicated quarantine facilities. Instead we've got this mess of hotel quarantine that was always likely to lead to leaks and escapes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ants said:

I also blame Scomo for not taking on the Commonwealth responsibility and setting up dedicated quarantine facilities. Instead we've got this mess of hotel quarantine that was always likely to lead to leaks and escapes. 

At the second meeting of National cabinet the states chose to run the hotel quarantine system as the states control the health services. Subsequently, the federal government set up a  quarantine system in Howard Springs, just outside Darwin which i think might be for repatriation flights. Its funny how all the ALP governed states have forgotten that happened and also blame the feds. Almost seems political.  

If anyone saw the hoo-ha about John Coates "mansplaining" to the Qld Premier telling her she has to go to the Tokyo opening Ceremony during her junket. Turns out she asked him to help her out as she felt public pressure not to attend. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Squab said:

At the second meeting of National cabinet the states chose to run the hotel quarantine system as the states control the health services. Subsequently, the federal government set up a  quarantine system in Howard Springs, just outside Darwin which i think might be for repatriation flights. Its funny how all the ALP governed states have forgotten that happened and also blame the feds. Almost seems political.  

If anyone saw the hoo-ha about John Coates "mansplaining" to the Qld Premier telling her she has to go to the Tokyo opening Ceremony during her junket. Turns out she asked him to help her out as she felt public pressure not to attend. 

That's one interpretation. The second is they realised quickly that the Commonwealth were far more gung-ho than the states and willing to accept a much higher level of infection, so it was left in their hands. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Squab said:

At the second meeting of National cabinet the states chose to run the hotel quarantine system as the states control the health services. Subsequently, the federal government set up a  quarantine system in Howard Springs, just outside Darwin which i think might be for repatriation flights. Its funny how all the ALP governed states have forgotten that happened and also blame the feds. Almost seems political.  

It's been recognised for awhile now that hotels are not ideal for quarantining and that we need purpose built facilities which is a federal responsibility. Really, there should be more than just Howard Springs available and the fed govt dragging its feet in building more facilities when calls were being made to do so is what they copped flak for.

With the unreliability of using hotels in populated cities for quarantining, tight oversight and control of the system was needed so it was understandable that states would've been reluctant to leave that responsibility to the feds.

Edited by Skyrazer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I recall the Feds were pushing for at home isolation for travellers at the beginning of last year. That would've quite quickly resulted in covid spread into the community. There's no way the states were going to accept that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Impmk2 said:

If I recall the Feds were pushing for at home isolation for travellers at the beginning of last year. That would've quite quickly resulted in covid spread into the community. There's no way the states were going to accept that.

If that was the case, then thank goodness the states took on the responsibility....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...