A Fly in the Spider's Web: Jon Connington

Curled Finger

1 hour ago, Lollygag said:

I completely missed the ice blue eyes and unmoving lips as foreshadowing until you pointed it out. And it also confirms a theory that I have about the Others/wights being a cousin of sorts or having the same origin as the Shrouded Lord(s)/stonemen.

That bit about the unmoving lips was just Tyrion being catty.  Doesn't mean it doesn't point to something larger, but I'm trying to be careful to stick with context in this conversation.   However, I can't recall a single time pale eyes have led to anything good.   Maybe the lips bit is foreshadowing of the greyscale?  

2 minutes ago, Curled Finger said:

1) how would Varys know the identity of the KOLT--I don't remember reading Varys was at Harenhal?  However, if this is a personal spin on what isn't actually known, I like it.   There is a whole lot of potential in this idea.   

We don't know if he attended, that's true. But we know he has informants. And this is Varys, the guy who plays dress up and can move incognito. This is the same guy who traveled all the way to the Free Cities or the Disputed Lands to recruit Jon Connington. 

Contrary to the majority of posters, I believe Varys is a Targaryen loyalist and that the Pisswater Bend baby story is true.

9 minutes ago, Curled Finger said:

2)  What might Elia Sand actually trigger? 

A lot of sleepless nights. A lot of memories that he seems, imo, not eager to think about. Elia is a lot like Lyanna. Her nickname, the jousting, could open the floodgates to what happened at Harrenhal, from the mystery knight entering the tourney to Aerys's paranoia over the KotT to the moment Rhaegar crowned Lyanna. There's a lot of history repeating itself here, and I think our Griff will see it right away and will do his damnest to stop that happening.

33 minutes ago, Alexis-something-Rose said:

We don't know if he attended, that's true. But we know he has informants. And this is Varys, the guy who plays dress up and can move incognito. This is the same guy who traveled all the way to the Free Cities or the Disputed Lands to recruit Jon Connington. 

Contrary to the majority of posters, I believe Varys is a Targaryen loyalist and that the Pisswater Bend baby story is true.

A lot of sleepless nights. A lot of memories that he seems, imo, not eager to think about. Elia is a lot like Lyanna. Her nickname, the jousting, could open the floodgates to what happened at Harrenhal, from the mystery knight entering the tourney to Aerys's paranoia over the KotT to the moment Rhaegar crowned Lyanna. There's a lot of history repeating itself here, and I think our Griff will see it right away and will do his damnest to stop that happening.

Very cool.  Thanks for elaborating.  

44 minutes ago, Curled Finger said:

That bit about the unmoving lips was just Tyrion being catty.  Doesn't mean it doesn't point to something larger, but I'm trying to be careful to stick with context in this conversation.   However, I can't recall a single time pale eyes have led to anything good.   Maybe the lips bit is foreshadowing of the greyscale?  

That's what I meant. Guess it came across garbled.

@Curled Finger

To me, that is no more than a noble man's wounded pride talking.  These guys are filled with hubris and Varys ruined his reputation.  Jon Connington could have refused to play along but he took it for the team.  I am accepting this to mean he will have some words with the eunuch. 

The matter of greater concern is Aegon's real identity.  Jon is guilty of fraud if he is knowingly helping an impostor take the iron throne.  I don't believe he knows.  So what will Jon choose to do after he learns the truth?  Continue with the fraud or bail out?

22 hours ago, Curled Finger said:

As this conversation unfolds I am having a stumbling block with the big long game end game plan here.  What is the point of seating a guy you know isn't what he claims to be and yet can't reveal his real identity?  I can get with the plan down to this point.   Why not simply throw the world at Dany or is it really important for her to see Aegon as legit?  Why not just offer him up as a Blackfyre son of an extremely wealthy man who can give her the ships and armies she needs?  Seems to me she would have taken that at any point prior to Mereen.  Blackfyres are of the line of Targaryan.  I get why no one in Westeros would touch that with a 10 foot pole, but did Dany even know about the rebellions and would it matter now that she is the last Targaryan?  

Well, the point of Aegon is to create the ideal king from scratch by raising him in a way that makes him view kingship as a duty, not a right, etc. Check Varys' Epilogue speech for that.

Dany only became important when she hatched the dragons. Prior to that she was a pawn to bring Drogo into the Targaryen restoration camp. Once she had the dragons Varys and Illyrio wanted her to marry Aegon so they could invade together. Dany's decision to go to and remain in Meereen changed that.

The reason why Aegon is propped up as a Targaryen is likely because Varys and Illyrio believe that the answer to Varys' riddle is that most people would follow/see the truly rightful king (i.e. a Targaryen) as the guy casting the biggest 'shadow of power'. Else they could have gone with a Blackfyre pretender.

12 hours ago, Loras said:

The other thing that happens in both of her sample chapters is that she is undermined by Elia Sand.  Elia doesn’t follow any of Arianne’s direct orders and will surely remind JonCon of Lyanna - if he ever met her.  George has set up the character to remind us, the reader, of Lyanna.  I wonder whether Aegon will marry Elia rather than Arianne - and consult neither Jon nor Varys.

Oh, that is a very old idea. But if Aegon were to marry a Dornish bastard he could just as well jump off the walls of Storm's End. He and his cause would be dead the very moment he does dead. Nobody would follow him under those circumstances, not even - and perhaps even especially - Arianne and Dorne.

Elia Sand certainly is going to remind Jon of both Elia and Lyanna, meaning she will greatly vex and perhaps cause him to give us some insight in the Rhaegar-Elia marriage from Jon's perspective as well as a first deep glimpse into Lyanna at Harrenhal with Rhaegar and the nature of their relationship thereafter.

And to be sure - Arianne Martell is one of the most gorgeous women in Westeros and a master seductress. Unlike Rhaegar, Aegon doesn't seem to have any experience with women, nor should he be able to resist Arianne's advances.

Aegon certainly could make out with the bastard girl, too, but he is not going to marry her. That would be too much of a ripoff of the Robb Stark plot.

I can see a scene where Aegon and Elia are caught in flagranti by Jon or Arianne ... with Aegon then making it perfectly clear that he is never going to marry a bastard girl.

Jon wants Aegon unmarried to match with Daenerys - but Aegon’s actual chat in ‘The Lost Lord’ indicates that he wants to do it on his own.  I don’t think Arianne / Aegon is set in stone.

Well, the idea is indeed that Aegon is going to decide not to wait for Daenerys. And neither will Arianne necessarily wait for Quentyn. At this point an Aegon-Arianne match goes against the plans of both Arianne herself (who is supposed/wants to just check whether Aegon is the real deal/connected to Dany-Quentyn) as well as those of team Aegon.

They will both have to overcome quite a few obstacles if they want to marry each other - or one of them convincing the other that this would be a great idea would have to.

Interesting.  I think that Jon believes that Aegon is Rhaegar’s son 100% - even if it is self-deception.  I don’t think the moment in ‘The Griffin Reborn’, would have been possible if he didn’t believe it.  He actively compares a moment on the roof with Rhaegar to a moment with his son.

Yeah, it is similar to him unvoluntarily seeing Rhaegar in Lysono Maar - and be disgusted by seeing him an effeminate freak.

I also don’t think that Jon ‘has it in him’ to be Tywin - he wants to be capable of that level of ruthlessness but he isn’t, maybe the greyscale will be a catalyst for that but as a character he is really romantic looking to avenge his silver prince by putting his son on the throne.

Jon’s story is incredibly tragic, even in the grand scale of ASOIAF tragedy.

Oh, I don't think Tyrion always comparing him to his father and seeing the parallel even before he realizes who the man actually is is there as a red herring. Jon hasn't done something ugly yet. But Tywin didn't was the man he was after Castamere before Castamere. Jon had the Rebellion and the years since as his War of the Ninepenny Kings, and now he has come to Westeros to do his own Castamere or something similar. Only if he has to, of course, but he is clearly prepared for that. The man isn't going to take any chances.

2 hours ago, Rosetta Stone said:

@Curled Finger

To me, that is no more than a noble man's wounded pride talking.  These guys are filled with hubris and Varys ruined his reputation.  Jon Connington could have refused to play along but he took it for the team.  I am accepting this to mean he will have some words with the eunuch. 

The matter of greater concern is Aegon's real identity.  Jon is guilty of fraud if he is knowingly helping an impostor take the iron throne.  I don't believe he knows.  So what will Jon choose to do after he learns the truth?  Continue with the fraud or bail out?

Thanks for joining in, @Rosetta Stone.  I agree that Connington's thoughts do sound like a noble man's wounded pride.  I think I like this best in my thinking there is some trait of valor in all the characters we really like in ASOIAF.  Without scratching the surface Connington seems to fit this bill.  Digging a little deeper he really isn't honorable or devoted or grateful or honest or particularly clever--any of the characteristics we tend to value in our heroes.  What did @Bloodraven's Spider  call him--a wenge?  I think it sums Connington up pretty well.  This topic really just asks why.  I didn't used to believe Connington knew Aegon wasn't actually Aegon, but I find holes in some of the quotes and a lot of the motive now and thought it was time to discuss the possibility.  I'm still with you in thinking he probably thinks Aegon is legit because his thoughts and speech don't really reveal a man who appreciates intrigue or has any love for the Blackfyres.  Indeed what will happen when he learns the truth!

30 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

Well, the point of Aegon is to create the ideal king from scratch by raising him in a way that makes him view kingship as a duty, not a right, etc. Check Varys' Epilogue speech for that.

Dany only became important when she hatched the dragons. Prior to that she was a pawn to bring Drogo into the Targaryen restoration camp. Once she had the dragons Varys and Illyrio wanted her to marry Aegon so they could invade together. Dany's decision to go to and remain in Meereen changed that.

The reason why Aegon is propped up as a Targaryen is likely because Varys and Illyrio believe that the answer to Varys' riddle is that most people would follow/see the truly rightful king (i.e. a Targaryen) as the guy casting the biggest 'shadow of power'. Else they could have gone with a Blackfyre pretender.

Thanks for the breakdown so close to the actual text.  I'm concentrating on 2 chapters of a very big book and it's always good to be brought back to context.  You're right.  We don't know Aegon is anything at all and being no one at all could be part of the point if this is Varys' idea of social engineering.  Honestly, any which way or who Aegon is revealed to be will hopefully shed some light on Varys' motivations.   That's a pretty lofty thing to just make a well trained kid with no king's blood or pedigree king over a nation.  

I'm sure communication is slow.  Perhaps Varys and Illyrio didn't know Dany needed help after Drogo died and before she got to Mereen.  

On 7/18/2020 at 9:14 AM, Curled Finger said:

Yep, Aegon making up his own mind about his own alliance is real probable.  Now I have read where readers have connected Connington's thoughts to a sort of becoming Tywin in some brutal fashion.  I was looking for it in the text but that specific motive wasn't super apparent.   He thinks back on Myle Toyne and seems to respect him a great deal.  More than he thinks of becoming brutal any way.   It's only 2 chapters in his head and there isn't that much to really work with in my humble opinion.   I just didn't see it glaring anywhere.  Would he kill Tywin's grandchildren?  I can see where he might want to, he just doesn't strike me as that guy.  I'm curious as to why you think Varys wouldn't want the children killed.   Isn't their survival something of a thorn in his king's side?  

I have to agree with your conclusion.  It's like he hears what their saying but through some filter that only applies to how he is treated.  The opportunity seems a godsend, I can't understand why he isn't more in line.  

Here,

Death, he knew, but slow. I still have time. A year. Two years. Five. Some stone men live for ten. Time enough to cross the sea, to see Griffin's Roost again. To end the Usurper's line for good and all, and put Rhaegar's son upon the Iron Throne.

Then Lord Jon Connington could die content.

Ordering the deaths of royal children is what probably best sums up Tywin. JC will want to do the same as Tywin with the same justification as Tywin, securing the crown.

Varys's talk about the royal children should be taken at face value. It is a method GRRM uses where he gets pitiful characters in conversation with other characters to reveal their inner thoughts. Kevan and Ned with Varys. Reek with Roose and Barbrey. Varys was turned off Robert because he didn't serve Tywin justice for murdering the royal children, and planned to put on the throne a king who would serve such justice.

It is the common theme of ASOIAF really, the sacrifice of children vs a greater good,  is it ever justifiable?

1 hour ago, chrisdaw said:

Here,

Ordering the deaths of royal children is what probably best sums up Tywin. JC will want to do the same as Tywin with the same justification as Tywin, securing the crown.

Varys's talk about the royal children should be taken at face value. It is a method GRRM uses where he gets pitiful characters in conversation with other characters to reveal their inner thoughts. Kevan and Ned with Varys. Reek with Roose and Barbrey. Varys was turned off Robert because he didn't serve Tywin justice for murdering the royal children, and planned to put on the throne a king who would serve such justice.

It is the common theme of ASOIAF really, the sacrifice of children vs a greater good,  is it ever justifiable?

Ain't that the truth.  You know, I don't believe I've ever read that Varys' grand scheme may have come to light following the sack of Kings Landing.  I have thought his goals were long and scheming, even the reason for his getting a job with Aerys.  Taken as you suggest that horror with Rhaegar's children could be a hell of an eye opener for a socially minded person.  Yet Varys himself takes childrens' tongues.  Fascinating, really.  Having a larger overall goal of justice is all new and shiny to me and I like it a lot.  Thanks for the reply.  Very eye-opening.  

9 hours ago, Curled Finger said:

Ain't that the truth.  You know, I don't believe I've ever read that Varys' grand scheme may have come to light following the sack of Kings Landing.  I have thought his goals were long and scheming, even the reason for his getting a job with Aerys.  Taken as you suggest that horror with Rhaegar's children could be a hell of an eye opener for a socially minded person.  Yet Varys himself takes childrens' tongues.  Fascinating, really.  Having a larger overall goal of justice is all new and shiny to me and I like it a lot.  Thanks for the reply.  Very eye-opening.  

Varys is a bit of a contradiction. Varys rescued Gendry from Cersei by sending him north to the Wall (and there is a really interesting parallel here with Rhaegar's children vs Robert's bastards), but as you say takes the tongue of small children. And these children have no qualms when it comes to murder either.

It was noted some time ago by one of the posters that the deaths of Pycelle and Kevan Lannister mirror the deaths of "Aegon" and Rhaenys, like Varys is in some way avenging those deaths. Pycelle counseled Aerys to open his gates which directly led to the deaths of two small children and probably countless other faceless, nameless ones down in the city. Kevan was there at the Sack, was there when the bodies of the Targaryen children were presented to Robert. The good man in service to a bad cause got the Rhaenys treatment while Pycelle got his brains bashed in.

On 7/19/2020 at 12:48 AM, Curled Finger said:

I agree that Connington's thoughts do sound like a noble man's wounded pride.  I think I like this best in my thinking there is some trait of valor in all the characters we really like in ASOIAF.  Without scratching the surface Connington seems to fit this bill.  Digging a little deeper he really isn't honorable or devoted or grateful or honest or particularly clever--any of the characteristics we tend to value in our heroes.

His pride is definitely one of his character flaws, but I don’t think it’s fair to say that he isn’t devoted.  He is absolutely devoted to Rhaegar’s shade - his silver prince.

The melancholy of his failure of Rhaegar permeates through both of his chapters, he wants to do well by the man he loved.  I think that is entirely relatable and admirable.

I don’t think we know enough, yet, to dismiss Jon as not particularly clever.  He intends to take Storm’s End through guile and seems to be having a very successful campaign in the Stormlands.  He also must show some talent to be promoted to Hand by Aerys and brought into the conspiracy by Varys.

As for honour, he jumped into the waters around the Sorrows to save Tyrion Lannister.

On 7/19/2020 at 1:01 AM, Curled Finger said:

We don't know Aegon is anything at all and being no one at all could be part of the point if this is Varys' idea of social engineering.  Honestly, any which way or who Aegon is revealed to be will hopefully shed some light on Varys' motivations

I hope that GRRM doesn’t reveal the truth of Aegon’s identity, because it is a central theme of the novel - it doesn’t matter whether it is true or not, it only matters in terms of the riddle.

On 7/19/2020 at 12:23 AM, Lord Varys said:

Well, the idea is indeed that Aegon is going to decide not to wait for Daenerys. And neither will Arianne necessarily wait for Quentyn. At this point an Aegon-Arianne match goes against the plans of both Arianne herself (who is supposed/wants to just check whether Aegon is the real deal/connected to Dany-Quentyn) as well as those of team Aegon.

They will both have to overcome quite a few obstacles if they want to marry each other - or one of them convincing the other that this would be a great idea would have to.

Arianne’s relationship with Aegon and Jon will be really interesting to follow in the next novel.  I think we both agree that Dorne will declare for Aegon - but I’m expecting the ‘dragon’ ‘war’ raven thing to be a key plot point.

To be fair - Arianne did say that she would be willing to share with a Sand Snake to Arys Oakheart... 

On 7/19/2020 at 12:23 AM, Lord Varys said:

Elia Sand certainly is going to remind Jon of both Elia and Lyanna, meaning she will greatly vex and perhaps cause him to give us some insight in the Rhaegar-Elia marriage from Jon's perspective as well as a first deep glimpse into Lyanna at Harrenhal with Rhaegar and the nature of their relationship thereafter.

I think that Jon had some level of respect for Elia, but when he thinks about the bells tolling he doesn’t include Lyanna.  

Pure speculation- I think that Jon is likely to have accepted the Elia relationship because of social convention but he would be very unhappy with the Lyanna relationship.  Was he jealous of Lyanna?  The Harrenhal tourney will surely be fleshed out further.

Perhaps we will see a mirror with Aegon - a marriage to Arianne but an ‘affair’ with Elia? Something like that.

4 hours ago, Loras said:

I hope that GRRM doesn’t reveal the truth of Aegon’s identity, because it is a central theme of the novel - it doesn’t matter whether it is true or not, it only matters in terms of the riddle.

Oh, but it does. It matters to himself and the people around him. Being Rhaegar's son is crucial to his identity, if he were to lose this in his own mind and his allies were to believe that, too, it could be part of a very interesting story.

Besides, it is quite clear that to wrap up the Illyrio story he has to come clean whether the lad is his son or not.

4 hours ago, Loras said:

Arianne’s relationship with Aegon and Jon will be really interesting to follow in the next novel.  I think we both agree that Dorne will declare for Aegon - but I’m expecting the ‘dragon’ ‘war’ raven thing to be a key plot point.

Of course, but the point there is effectively just that it is Arianne's call and only her call. Doran has left it to her whether they are going to war or not.

Theoretically they could torture Arianne to reveal the secret code, but if they were to just threaten her conventionally or she wasn't inclined to have Dorne join them then she could just send the code so Dorne stays out of the fighting without them even realizing what's going on.

In that sense, chances are very high that Arianne will deliberately decide that the Dornish armies enter the war on Aegon's side.

4 hours ago, Loras said:

To be fair - Arianne did say that she would be willing to share with a Sand Snake to Arys Oakheart... 

One of the older Sand Snakes she is close with, not necessarily Elia who is just a girl.

4 hours ago, Loras said:

I think that Jon had some level of respect for Elia, but when he thinks about the bells tolling he doesn’t include Lyanna.

He thought she was unworthy of Rhaegar. I very much doubt he thought Lyanna was worthy of him. He himself was worthy of his silver prince, but not exactly anybody else, one assumes - although he would likely deny that.

4 hours ago, Loras said:

Pure speculation- I think that Jon is likely to have accepted the Elia relationship because of social convention but he would be very unhappy with the Lyanna relationship.  Was he jealous of Lyanna?  The Harrenhal tourney will surely be fleshed out further.

Of course he must have been unhappy. Rhaegar didn't love Elia, so she was no real rival for Rhaegar's affection, but Lya clearly must have been if Rhaegar truly loved her.

4 hours ago, Loras said:

Perhaps we will see a mirror with Aegon - a marriage to Arianne but an ‘affair’ with Elia? Something like that.

That would be odd, too. I think Elia might make out with some Golden Company people at Storm's End and even help Arianne to gather some information on their plans/background in relation to Aegon, but her actually making out with him would be very strange. Especially considering that Arianne is going to demand that Aegon spend time with her so she can properly assess his looks, behavior, and other qualities.

I mean, Aegon seems to be quite inexperienced in the women department, and he wasn't raised around princesses and other highborn ladies. If Princess Arianne - the future Princess of Dorne, no less - tries to get into his pants or at least makes him believe she wants to get into his pants he will be very flattered.

But to be sure - we have no idea how this whole thing is going to go. Will Arianne even buy that he is Aegon? Will that be important for the question whether Dorne should join them or not? Is Arianne going to fall for Aegon, wanting him to be her Viserys 2.0? Will she want to use Aegon as a tool to get their revenge against the Lannisters with the intention to discard him once Quentyn and the dragons are there? Or is she going to actually believe he is her cousin and should be king?

All that is completely unknown.

5 hours ago, Loras said:

The problem with this, is that Connington specifically seems to show a tad bit of jealousy about Elia, the business of her not really being worthy of Rhaegar. 

Lyanna, he doesn't think about at all.  Interesting.

On 7/19/2020 at 4:22 AM, Alexis-something-Rose said:

Varys is a bit of a contradiction. Varys rescued Gendry from Cersei by sending him north to the Wall (and there is a really interesting parallel here with Rhaegar's children vs Robert's bastards), but as you say takes the tongue of small children. And these children have no qualms when it comes to murder either.

It was noted some time ago by one of the posters that the deaths of Pycelle and Kevan Lannister mirror the deaths of "Aegon" and Rhaenys, like Varys is in some way avenging those deaths. Pycelle counseled Aerys to open his gates which directly led to the deaths of two small children and probably countless other faceless, nameless ones down in the city. Kevan was there at the Sack, was there when the bodies of the Targaryen children were presented to Robert. The good man in service to a bad cause got the Rhaenys treatment while Pycelle got his brains bashed in.

Varys strikes me a a greater good kinda guy.  No qualms about making hard decisions in the service of his ambition, however noble.  The little birds are an interesting group and as much as I may share Varys world view for a peaceful well run realm where justice prevails, employing children to the point of mutilation and permanent disability leaves me cold.  Should Aegon prove to be less than up to Varys' standards may we expect some similar reproving of the young king?  King Aegon VI is so crucial to everything Varys seems to stand and plan for.  While Dany may be part of the plan, she seems a much smaller player, but I suppose Varys could switch over to her side or anyone else he deems worthy if Aegon disappoints him.  Perhaps Varys needs to see her in her full glory?  

Nice parallel between the murders.  

6 hours ago, Loras said:

His pride is definitely one of his character flaws, but I don’t think it’s fair to say that he isn’t devoted.  He is absolutely devoted to Rhaegar’s shade - his silver prince.

The melancholy of his failure of Rhaegar permeates through both of his chapters, he wants to do well by the man he loved.  I think that is entirely relatable and admirable.

I don’t think we know enough, yet, to dismiss Jon as not particularly clever.  He intends to take Storm’s End through guile and seems to be having a very successful campaign in the Stormlands.  He also must show some talent to be promoted to Hand by Aerys and brought into the conspiracy by Varys.

As for honour, he jumped into the waters around the Sorrows to save Tyrion Lannister.

It's hard to put my finger on precisely what I'm thinking Connington actually is.  Objectively he should be a powerful short term player with some sense of putting things to right in placing the son of his love on the throne.   I'm not convinced this is entirely related to love, duty and admiration for Rhaegar so much as Rhaegar has become the root of all things in his mind.  Obsession?  Clouded memory?  Perception altering grief and loss?  The best part about Aegon is the worst in my humble view.   He is a manufactured character.  Yes, he's learned all this self sufficiency and languages and all manner of kingly things, but it has been my experience that 16 to 19 year-old boys can be frustratingly willful, reckless even.  The training is there and presumably some discipline to temper the decisions he has to make.   Still we see he can be a brat.  Soon he will be a very powerful brat.    I almost want to go count the instances references are made to child rulers being a terrible idea throughout the text.  

You bring up an important point I hope will be further explored in TWOW--Rhaegar and Lyanna.   Yes, Jon thinks about Elia and deems her unworthy of the silver prince.  Yet she was the mother of Rhaegar's children.  We have a year--give or take--where Rhaegar is distracted (?) by a young northern woman and nothing from Connington on this.   Suspicious.  Is it possible Connington didn't know about this?  Is it possible Connington was right in the middle of it?  As you say, Jon was present at the Tourney at Harrenhal and may have some light to shed on a great deal at play there we don't get in Meera's or Selmy's stories.  

1 hour ago, Lord Varys said:

He thought she was unworthy of Rhaegar. I very much doubt he thought Lyanna was worthy of him. He himself was worthy of his silver prince, but not exactly anybody else, one assumes - although he would likely deny that.

Of course he must have been unhappy. Rhaegar didn't love Elia, so she was no real rival for Rhaegar's affection, but Lya clearly must have been if Rhaegar truly loved her.

That would be odd, too. I think Elia might make out with some Golden Company people at Storm's End and even help Arianne to gather some information on their plans/background in relation to Aegon, but her actually making out with him would be very strange. Especially considering that Arianne is going to demand that Aegon spend time with her so she can properly assess his looks, behavior, and other qualities.

I mean, Aegon seems to be quite inexperienced in the women department, and he wasn't raised around princesses and other highborn ladies. If Princess Arianne - the future Princess of Dorne, no less - tries to get into his pants or at least makes him believe she wants to get into his pants he will be very flattered.

But to be sure - we have no idea how this whole thing is going to go. Will Arianne even buy that he is Aegon? Will that be important for the question whether Dorne should join them or not? Is Arianne going to fall for Aegon, wanting him to be her Viserys 2.0? Will she want to use Aegon as a tool to get their revenge against the Lannisters with the intention to discard him once Quentyn and the dragons are there? Or is she going to actually believe he is her cousin and should be king?

All that is completely unknown.

Yes, I too, got the feeling Connington wasn't impressed with Elia Martell.  I offer a small idea that I don't see discussed a whole lot.  Probably because I avoid the R+L=J topics like plague.  I wonder if this wasn't necessarily a love affair between R & L, but L understood some part of the prophecy R did not.   We don't know that Lyanna was a student of such things, but we don't know she wasn't either.   She didn't strike me as the type of woman to cry in public so I read the song as appealing to her on some other level.  I realize grown men were moved to tears by Rhaegar's songs, it just doesn't fit this woman.  At any rate, student of prophecy or not, Lyanna may have fallen in the with Rhaegar for King campaign completely and been willing to support the cause with anything she could.   It sounds like Rhaegar and Elia were friends if not loving husband & wife.   Perhaps the progressive Dornish princess was open to polygamy or any number of things including more babies.   She could have been completely invested in the Rhaegar for King campaign, too.   With this possibility in mind it seems to me that Jon Connington would follow suit if not entirely agree with the choices Rhaegar made.  I don't know that there is anyway to know if Jon and Rhaegar had a love affair, but they all seem to fall in line for Rhaegar.   

1 hour ago, Frey family reunion said:

The problem with this, is that Connington specifically seems to show a tad bit of jealousy about Elia, the business of her not really being worthy of Rhaegar. 

Lyanna, he doesn't think about at all.  Interesting.

It's hard to know what Jon really thinks from the words he chooses in describing Elia, but like you, I got the she's not worthy/jealousy vibe.   Seems pretty unlikely that Connington doesn't know about Lyanna.  I would like to read Jon's thoughts on that one.  

9 minutes ago, Curled Finger said:

It's hard to know what Jon really thinks from the words he chooses in describing Elia, but like you, I got the she's not worthy/jealousy vibe.   Seems pretty unlikely that Connington doesn't know about Lyanna.  I would like to read Jon's thoughts on that one.  

I didn’t say he doesn’t know who she is.  I just said that he never thinks about her in his POV.

Archived