Today is a good day!

BigFatCoward

Did we not used to have a positivity thread?  I had a quick look but couldn't find anything.  Basically in the current climate, covid, Trump, Newcastle's takeover so we can rule the world not being confirmed etc.  Sometimes you just need a little tiny thing to cheer you up.  Today I had 2 in the space of 30 mins.

I cycle the last bit of my journey to work, nobody likes getting a puncture, they slow you down, getting your tyre pressure correct with a hand pump is a pain, you normally get stuck on a nettle covered grass verge as traffic drives past you too quick etc.  But today I got my puncture as I pulled into the back yard at work, I basically got paid to change my tyre.  That is a good day.

As I got to my office I was full of dread, one of my staff was going to cause me a nightmare, they are acting in a higher rank, and I was going to have to remove it from them as they don't follow instructions and I knew there was potential to generate a complaint against me.  However, they resigned the rank rather than do what I have been asking them to do.  That is a very good day.

What trivial things have put a spring in your step today? 

Making plans for our anniversary next weekend -- we are having some even!  Unless where we live does a big jump in new cases (which isn't unlikely considering the way so very many in the 20 - 35 age group behave and the restaurant-bars and 'entertainment professionals' enable, and so many richies are pouring in from the 20+ states where the virus is exploding higher every day).

I have been looking forward to Friday nights throughout the Pandemic. A bunch of my closest friends from the NYC bar world, several now living worldwide, have been doing a decidedly raucous Friday night Zoom party. Especially during the city lockdown, which weighed far harder on other Manhattanites (like Zorral, be well) than my yard work and bird-watching life in the sleepy Midwest. It's been very healthy and tons of fun for all of us.

Well, tonight one of our crew, who does the DJing at our local dive we all worked or frequented, is setting up to spin some beats out the window. So we are hesitantly planning setting up a temporary webcam of the revelry outside as a live stream so our Zoom meeting can have one pane be of passers-by, and simultaneously let us all listen to synched up music - something Zoom seems to be lacking. Safety issues of drunk kids without masks drinking on 3rd avenue aside, it will be a fun way for a bunch of 40 to 60 year old barflies and bartenders to give our Zoom party a more direct connection to the shithole we all became friends at.

• 2 weeks later...

Just returned from Doggie Hospital with 12-year-old Kolo. Yes, that's her in my avatar. 

Poor wee thing got the diabetes and went completely blind over a month ago. They say most dogs learn to cope quite well with loss of sight, but Kolo wasn't coping well. At all. 

But thanks to the amazing vets and surgeons at Davies, her vision has been fully restored. It wasn't cheap, but she is SO happy to be home, and able to see everything again.

The best £6k we've ever spent.

3 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Shit. 6 grand. I hope that pooch lives as long as possible so you get your money's worth. 

Just seeing her reaction to the world on the drive home from hospital was priceless. 

3 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Trust me, I’d have done it too! May she have a good life going forward!

Thanks, Bird. She really is the sweetest little thing, loved by everyone in my family. Her blindness cast a pall over everything, but now we're all really, really happy Kolo can see again.

Today is a good day!

A friend and I have been rehearsing a few songs recently (she sings, I play piano), with an aim to trying an open mic or some other form of low-pressure performance. Tonight was our first practice session getting through our entire set-list with no major fuck-ups. Progress! I'm honestly kindof terrified since it's been decades since I've performed music for any kind of audience, and that was on a different instrument, in a big band, so it was much easier to hide my mistakes. Bare-bones piano and singer is pretty exposed. Still, it's coming along!

We had a terrific party, a real party (yes, 5 people is a party, especially in These Times) last Saturday.  We all were so happy, and we 5 all continued being happy, with a happy week -- it being so hot and dry surely helped with that.

And today -- the audio royalties for the Books arrived.  Which latter we must be happy about today, because there's a strong sense there will be no audio royalties, or any other royalties coming again for a long time -- the fall and winter prospects look really rough.

The boss paid for an ice cream van to come and give out freebies to the staff, however the queue is immense (about 500 people work where I work) but pulling rank is beyond even my level of nerve.  As a taxpayer there is a lot of wasted police hours, but i'm sure in the long term it will pay for itself in increased morale.

A week after surgery, Kolo just got back from her follow-up at Doggie Hospital. Everything looks good, and her eyesight is better than it was before she went blind.

She normally hates going to the vet. I've been taking her to the same practice for about eight years. And usually, when the vet comes out to greet us in reception, she always tries to run away.

However, when she saw Rachel, the eye doctor, approaching us today, she got really excited and ran towards her, giving it the full-body-wag. I wonder if she realises that this is the person that restored her sight.                                                                                             

Last week we moved into my wife's literal dream home. She used to babysit at this house in the late 80s and early 90s, nannied here for a summer, and it's long been her idea of what a house should be. It's a five minute walk from her childhood home.

Last fall, the owner (who also built our first house) let us know he was planning to sell. We formed a plan, there were many ups and downs, including having the first buyers for our house walk away in mid-March because they were nervous about the pandemic. At least three distinct times I thought it wasn't going to happen. But we finally did it, and this morning my son and I picked blueberries in our own yard for our oatmeal.

2 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

Last week we moved into my wife's literal dream home. She used to babysit at this house in the late 80s and early 90s, nannied here for a summer, and it's long been her idea of what a house should be. It's a five minute walk from her childhood home.

Last fall, the owner (who also built our first house) let us know he was planning to sell. We formed a plan, there were many ups and downs, including having the first buyers for our house walk away in mid-March because they were nervous about the pandemic. At least three distinct times I thought it wasn't going to happen. But we finally did it, and this morning my son and I picked blueberries in our own yard for our oatmeal.

A big congrats for that!  :cheers:   :cheers:

Archived