Today is a good day!

BigFatCoward

On 11/20/2020 at 6:19 AM, BigFatCoward said:

First time round i wanted twins 'get it out the way in one go' was my feeling. Now I'd be devastated. 

That was my feeling when we were expecting our first. Then she arrived, and the thought of having two babies at the same time in different routines...

We decided to stick to one. 

• 2 weeks later...

Today is a good day because I became a grand dad for the first time. My daughter gave birth to a beautiful baby girl. 

The back story to all this is that mother and daughter had an extremely rare genetic disability that required multiple surgeries. The condition was so rare that the best doctors at the best hospitals in Canada knew nothing about my wife's genetics until our daughter was born with the same problem. That was when we were told that she had one chance in 2 of passing it on to any children she had.

Genetic testing showed the baby was clear but no one knew if my daughter would be able to have a normal delivery. She had a text book pregnancy and a textbook delivery and I have the most beautiful granddaughter. 

4 minutes ago, maarsen said:

Today is a good day because I became a grand dad for the first time. My daughter gave birth to a beautiful baby girl. 

The back story to all this is that mother and daughter had an extremely rare genetic disability that required multiple surgeries. The condition was so rare that the best doctors at the best hospitals in Canada knew nothing about my wife's genetics until our daughter was born with the same problem. That was when we were told that she had one chance in 2 of passing it on to any children she had.

Genetic testing showed the baby was clear but no one knew if my daughter would be able to have a normal delivery. She had a text book pregnancy and a textbook delivery and I have the most beautiful granddaughter. 

Congratulations! Wonderful news!

5 minutes ago, maarsen said:

Congrats! Glad everything went OK. 

Just now, Theda Baratheon said:

I PASSED MY MASTERS !! My dissertation is a merit and possibly even a distinction!!! I’m SO relieved 

Wow!!! I am so happy!! I am so proud of you as my friend also. Congratulations! :D :grouphug:

On 11/30/2020 at 2:28 PM, Theda Baratheon said:

I PASSED MY MASTERS !! My dissertation is a merit and possibly even a distinction!!! I’m SO relieved 

Wow, that’s amazing! Huge congrats! You did an amazing job graduating in the midst of this shit, be very very very proud of yourself!!!! :cheers: Hope you got to celebrate! 

on a different note, I finally found something good in this shit day - my box of Harry Potter socks were dispatched. 

Today was a pretty good day. More or less. 

My new manager just let me take a vendor meeting instead of him which is so nice because I’ve only been at this firm for 4 weeks and I’m kinda glad that they consider me competent enough run stuff like that on my own. That kinda trust is motivating. So that was nice. 

And I had some really sweet and heartwarming phone calls with family members too. 

60 degrees and sunny in November. Taking my mostly housebound buddy out to a lovely park in the city for a nice walk and the best local take-out joint around. He can't get out on his own, with limited mobility and high risk if he contracts the virus. I just received a pleasant Negative test result, so were going to safely open his circle for the drive (masked and he's cramming into my tiny back seat), and find a nice picnic table to spend the day at. Can't wait. 

So it’s official - I am a Master of Arts in Celtic Studies hehe! And overall I got a Merit which I’m very pleased with!! The last few years weren’t a waste after all! I’m so much more competent than I ever give myself any credit for. I always think of myself as this lazy useless slug of a person but my goodness I have done a ridiculous amount of things this year and to a high standard!! Really appreciating that now. 

6 minutes ago, Theda Baratheon said:

So it’s official - I am a Master of Arts in Celtic Studies hehe! And overall I got a Merit which I’m very pleased with!! The last few years weren’t a waste after all! I’m so much more competent than I ever give myself any credit for. I always think of myself as this lazy useless slug of a person but my goodness I have done a ridiculous amount of things this year and to a high standard!! Really appreciating that now. 

Again congratulations on doing a great thesis. I have had a lot of good news these past few weeks but this is one of the best.

Turns out I broke my elbow on Saturday, I've generally avoided the ER over the last 20 years but damn.  Just have to keep it in a sling unless the orthopedic says something else on friday.  Trying to stay positive about it, we're getting 18"+ of snow tonight and it's straight up powder and im very tempted to ski some stuff I've been eyeing for a couple years tomorrow.  We don't get these local conditions very often (every other year or so).  will probably compromise, be safe, and xc ski flat stuff with the dog.  

@larrytheimp Broke your elbow, need to keep it in a sling, there's a ton of fresh snow you probably shouldn't ski... and you post it in "Today is a good day" thread...

You must be the living embodiment of "a glass half full" :D

Joking aside, I wish you a quick and full recovery and, once that's done, more of such skiing conditions that I'm EXTREMELY jealous of.

Archived