Today is a good day!

BigFatCoward

On 12/17/2020 at 6:43 AM, Teng Ai Hui said:

What were your prizes the first two times?

I got some grapes for one of them, can’t remember the other. I never received either of them because we’re all working from home. The company is very generous, can’t explain why I’m leaving. :P 

Sorry for the double post.

Errrrrrrrrrr the dog was cute? Really struggling to see the positive today. But our little monster was definitely cute as he wreaked havoc on the terrace and looked at me with giant green puppy eyes when he got told off and sent to “bed”. And we are all still healthy as of today. (Healthy = physically unaffected by covid) 

18 minutes ago, RhaenysBee said:

Errrrrrrrrrr the dog was cute? Really struggling to see the positive today. But our little monster was definitely cute as he wreaked havoc on the terrace and looked at me with giant green puppy eyes when he got told off and sent to “bed”. And we are all still healthy as of today. (Healthy = physically unaffected by covid) 

They’re always cute.

But it’s still irritating when they get on the counter and eat your dinner when you left the room for a couple minutes. 

11 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

They’re always cute.

But it’s still irritating when they get on the counter and eat your dinner when you left the room for a couple minutes. 

Most of our dogs are outdoor dogs, only the old one lives inside/in the garage, and he’s too small to reach the counter. He did have the habit of going through the kitchen bin, but we changed that to a taller, larger one so he can’t get into that either. 

The youngster has wrecked the terrace gate though and now he has access to wrecking the back door. I’ll try to diy something tonight or tomorrow to temporarily fix that gate and get someone from the local Facebook group to make a new one and install it in the new year.... the joy. 

Today was a mild sunny day, unlike last Christmas, which was bushfire season, and unlike the last few weeks which have seen record rain which can go on all day and all night, and gives me cabin fever.

I went and queued up to buy seafood for Christmas. It was a long but peaceful queue, not really as long as it seemed because of social distancing and only so many people allowed in the shop. In fact I think they should do it every Christmas. No having to shout your order from amid a bunch of customers. I handed over a list and got excellent service. Then I went to the supermarket which was not crowded at all and I walked straight up to a free check out.

Now I am home relaxing and soon I am going out for my second haircut since March. 

On 12/18/2020 at 2:01 AM, Stannis Eats No Peaches said:

Different company, different (shinier) role, same city and a significant pay jump. :) I’ve been very lucky I think.

you should apply to the quiz shows too!

I had a productive week at work. I finished marking all of my final exams, and I’m up to date with all of my end of the year paperwork. I’ve got beer in the fridge. Most importantly, it’s Christmas Eve. Merry Christmas, everyone!

My dog is having the least stressful New Year's Eve of her life. Usually it's several weeks of horror for her (lots of drunken idiots doing fireworks well into the middle of January, day and night.) I mean "I-d-rather-not-pee-for-days-than-go out-there-thank-you-very-much" and trembling etc. levels. It's nerve-wrecking for both of us (and alway the danger that she'll run off in a momet of abject panic, like so many other dogs, some of whom don't survive it.)

This year, fireworks and even alcohol sales were cancelled. There is still some today, and she's stressed, but not nearly as badly as usual. I know the reasons are grim but I'm still happy for her.

“Who needs a cape when you have a mullet.”

Today is a good day for the woman saved from almost certain drowning by the incredibly brave actions of this young chap.

An Instagram video has caught an Australian pro surfer heroically stepping in to rescue a woman being swept away by strong currents in Hawaii.

Mikey Wright was looking out over a beach, thought to be on Oahu’s north shore, when he saw a beachgoer struggling in the surf.

Wright posted footage of the rescue on Instagram with the caption: “hold my beer”.

Although other beachgoers could be seen trying to help and reach the struggling swimmer, the current was too strong.

Up steps Wright, declaring, the swimmer is “going to need to get saved”.

Some of the beachgoers can be heard on the video doubting Wright, with someone heard saying “you can’t save her”.

But that doesn’t stop the pro surfer handing over his phone, which is still filming, jumping the fence and charging into the surf.

Fighting the surging ocean and difficult conditions, Wright dives in and picks up the woman, and although they were submerged multiple times, successfully pulls her out of the surf.

Stuff like this gives me the fuzzies.

Yesterday my mum was able to take the new pup for a walk! :commie: 

This is an amazing achievement, for the following reasons: 
*he is quite large and strong 
*my mother injured her shoulder in April (coincidentally - or not - while walking this particular dog, who was at the time entirely untrained)

*the fact that she managed to take him for only a 15 minute walk and control him has huge implications for how much he’s improved in a very short time and thus how quickly he learns (I took him for far longer walks during the holidays but I’m fitter and more confident about my ability to control than my mother)
*it’s an amazing return of the time and money invested in his training 
*I consider it my personal success that I leash trained this beloved, gorgeous, incredibly smart, but headstrong and teenaged doggo and he is a good enough boi to take walkies on leash in a moderately well-behaved manner (this is a narcissistic approach, it’s as much his personal success as mine, he is so insanely smart and he has the biggest heart I’ve ever seen in a dog and he wants to be so good so much)

This and having propagate two monstera plants in the spring quarantine was my greatest achievement in 2020 and I don’t mean it in a sarcastic way at all. I’m just overflowing with pride and joy. 

Archived