Today is a good day!

BigFatCoward

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

I just half jokingly suggested Magnus to my wife and got shot down in flames. 

Can’t say I don’t sympathize with her :D 

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

Both my sisters are tiny. I dont know how I ended up twice the size of them. 

As someone who used to be the tall kid, I’m now the smallest person in my family. Genetics has a weirdass sense of humor 

1 hour ago, Fragile Bird said:

Ah, you need @Ormond here!

Make sure you put Donald and Boris on the nope list!

You might want to look at the top 20 lists from the last couple of years and eliminate those names too, lol. There are so many times friends have said they named their child something they thought would be relatively uncommon only to find out in kindergarten 6 kids out of 20 have the same name as their child.

Maybe we should open a thread!

Before suggesting names one needs to get some information from the prospective parents as to what their own values and interests are. Not everyone cares whether or not their child's name is common. 

Also, it's important to remember that names in general are much more varied than they were just a generation ago. Michael may have been #1 in the USA in the 1960s and Jackson #1 now, but a Mike back then will have run into many more namesakes at school than a Jackson will today. 

Now people who live in the same neighborhoods and send their kids to the same kindergartens tend to have similar tastes in names, as in everything else, so there is more chance to have a kid with your child's name in their kindergarten than national popularity figures would suggest. But it's still a lot less than 40 years ago, and it really is not the worst thing in the world for kids to have to deal with someone with the same first name. So many parents seem to think that having two kids with the same given name in the same class is somehow a form of child abuse, which I think is silly. Back around 1840 one out of every six girls in the USA was named Mary, and people dealt with that just fine.  

5 minutes ago, Ormond said:

Before suggesting names one needs to get some information from the prospective parents as to what their own values and interests are. Not everyone cares whether or not their child's name is common. 

Also, it's important to remember that names in general are much more varied than they were just a generation ago. Michael may have been #1 in the USA in the 1960s and Jackson #1 now, but a Mike back then will have run into many more namesakes at school than a Jackson will today. 

Now people who live in the same neighborhoods and send their kids to the same kindergartens tend to have similar tastes in names, as in everything else, so there is more chance to have a kid with your child's name in their kindergarten than national popularity figures would suggest. But it's still a lot less than 40 years ago, and it really is not the worst thing in the world for kids to have to deal with someone with the same first name. So many parents seem to think that having two kids with the same given name in the same class is somehow a form of child abuse, which I think is silly. Back around 1840 one out of every six girls in the USA was named Mary, and people dealt with that just fine.  

I have a very unusual name (apparently only 3 of us in the UK). And our daughter has a fairly unusual name. But common is less of a driver than interesting or fitting. I had my heart set on Seija if it was a girl, which means serene in Finnish. 

3 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

I have a very unusual name (apparently only 3 of us in the UK). And our daughter has a fairly unusual name. But common is less of a driver than interesting or fitting. I had my heart set on Seija if it was a girl, which means serene in Finnish. 

I have no idea what you would think is "interesting" or "fitting". But on the theory you might like Finnish names, here's a link to the latest top 50s for babies being born in that country:

https://www.behindthename.com/top/lists/finland/2018

10 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

People tend to laugh at me and my weight struggles but I honestly don’t see how my pursuit of a weight goal is any different or less legitimate from an overweight person’s. I’m not even sure it’s less unhealthy to be underweight.

I gravitate toward classic names that aren’t too hipster. I’d name my hypothetical child William or Gregory or even Albert, but not Atticus or Everett or Magnus and the like. Each to their own though. 

It most definitely is not. Which is why I get pissed off to no end when people think its okay to comment on you being skinny in a public setting. A waitress once told me when asking if I wanted dessert that I looked like I could use a good slice of cake because a good breeze would blow me away.

i looked dead at her and said thank you very much, I’m anorexic, can we have the bill?

the nerve. It sounds like nothing to a lot of people who would probably say lighten up but i was ready to slap the waitress i was so angry and upset. 

Anyway, since this is “Today is a good day” - I called my nanna this evening. The 10 days is now up since her second vaccine so i am hoping to go see her and mothership this weekend

9 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

It most definitely is not. Which is why I get pissed off to no end when people think its okay to comment on you being skinny in a public setting. A waitress once told me when asking if I wanted dessert that I looked like I could use a good slice of cake because a good breeze would blow me away.

i looked dead at her and said thank you very much, I’m anorexic, can we have the bill?

the nerve. It sounds like nothing to a lot of people who would probably say lighten up but i was ready to slap the waitress i was so angry and upset. 

Anyway, since this is “Today is a good day” - I called my nanna this evening. The 10 days is now up since her second vaccine so i am hoping to go see her and mothership this weekend

If I had a dollar for every time I heard that :eek: 

I don’t often get overly vexed by those type of comments as I consider them to come from some level of care or concern, as rude as they come off. My pet peeve is the Oh you want to GAIN weight hahahaha I wish I had problems like that and Oh you gained weight and you are now 110, well fuck you, I can’t get myself down to 130. And I’m like the John Travolta meme from Pulp Fiction, why is my issue with my weight less legitimate than yours, I beg you?

And the whole Kim kardashian thing pissed me off too, because it was kinda painful how the narrative changed from Wow, you are so lucky to be so slim without diet to Oooooooooooooh you pooooor thing, you’re so skinnyyyyyy, are you not siiiiiiick? 

Ah, I’m so happy for your gran, hope she’s doing great and stays safe! Great that you’ll be able to visit! 

4 hours ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

I got my knives sharpened, after 23 years!!!!

It is a set of Classic Wusthof (forged) knives. I’d been living out of a suitcase or not cooking for at least 20 of those years, total, but it was still fairly dire, especially as I’ve had to cook 99% of EVERYTHING during covid. It finally got to the point where I said “f—- it” and some top rated knife sharpener dude came to my driveway and sharpened my knives for $200.

Now everything cuts like it is soft butter. Even chopping carrots.

This is something my mother needs to do :lol: 

Never for $200, but I remember that “dropping by the knife-grinder (is what google tells me the word I’m looking for might be)” to get knives and scissors sharpened was a thing when I was a kid. I don’t know what people do with their knives these days (I know they buy new scissors) because that knife-grinder shop closed at least 15 years ago. To be honest I think that’s how and why my mother stopped having sharp knives. 

8 hours ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

I once had a nurse at the OB/Gyn ask me if I had an eating disorder. I was lightweight, but a “healthy low end of normal” weight.

I switched OB/Gyns.

My metabolism was such that I could, at that time, eat anything. At my current age, and with the likely added estrogen of HRT, it’s sadly all too easy to gain weight, now. But, I remember the days where it was difficult to get up to and maintain 110 lbs!!!

This is me. 110 is the weight goal I constantly thrive to reach and maintain.
I’ve been in the 103-110 range all my life struggling to stay close to/ at 110, which already brushes the lower end of a normal BMI. It doesn’t help that while most people gain weight with stress, I lose it. Especially this past year. 

Oh around October a millennial radiologist asked me if I was this skinny on purpose, and if I want to lose weight, and if I think I’m skinny and if I eat. Again, I’m sure his questions came from a good place and I’m glad that as a medical professional he makes an effort to detect potential eating disorder. But I’m afraid he was inexperienced enough that the conversation came across as so absurd I couldn’t help but laugh at one point. I’m a bit sorry about that because it’s only fortunate that I have never been affected by an eating disorder. Im just not sure why that’s a conclusion to jump to. I’m skinny because of my genetics and fast metabolism, my mother and my sister are also skinny, because that’s just something we inherited somewhere down the line. 

Today is not a good day because the professional who was supposed to install glass into metal partition frame called at 7am, by which time I was dressed and had makeup on, that they needed to reschedule. (He is not sure for which day because he might go to Ukraine tomorrow, although the weather is shit and there’s a curfew so he can’t depart before 5am, so he’ll call me and let me know if it’s tomorrow or Thursday he can install my glass :stunned: :dunno: ) 

BUT today is a good day because I don’t have to run around town like a maniac and I have two free hours in the morning to spend writing this post, making coffee and maybe on a short workout? And there is a bit of snow outside. 

• 2 weeks later...

Today’s been a really good day so far!

I got up at a reasonable hour, did a workout IN THE MORNING and did a load of laundry. Then I got the most urgent things done on my to do list and had a quick lunch. And then my father came over and brought me a bouquet of flowers for my name day (that’s not a birthday as in asoiaf, it’s the day a calendar lists your name or something, don’t know where it comes from but it’s a thing here). So that was just lovely and it made me very happy. 

(I’m shit at expressing happiness and joy, so I’ll make sure to follow up with a call to thank him again, because I really want him to know how much I appreciate the gesture)

And I’m stuffing myself with cinnamon rolls I made yesterday. So it’s been lovely and I’m really grateful for having such a lovely day every once in a while.

13 hours ago, Liffguard said:

Finally got my Canadian citizenship papers back. Not planning on moving in the immediate future (even without taking Covid into account), but it's nice to have the option in the back pocket.

Pardon me if you’ve explained and I missed it but how did you get that? Just curious about people who get dual citizenship and how they went about it. 

Today was good because I met the Mothership and the dogs and we went for a nice walk. It was cold but bright and sunny and we were out for probably 2.5-3 hours. Then we dropped the dogs at her house, she drove me to my flat, I made us coffee and she cut my hair. She used to do hairdressing for a living before I was born so its been a while but it was not a bad effort at all and looks much tidier than it did before. I was getting pretty desperate and couldn't have gone another month (at the very least). The walk, seeing my mam, and seeing the dogs all boosted my mood a lot, and having my hair cut makes me feel less self-conscious about my appearance.

8 hours ago, S John said:

Pardon me if you’ve explained and I missed it but how did you get that? Just curious about people who get dual citizenship and how they went about it. 

My Mum's Canadian, so I had Canadian citizenship from birth. I just never had any of the paperwork. Technically I have three citizenships, but I don't like to talk about the third one.

8 hours ago, Liffguard said:

My Mum's Canadian, so I had Canadian citizenship from birth. I just never had any of the paperwork. Technically I have three citizenships, but I don't like to talk about the third one.

Dad from Sunderland? 

On 1/18/2021 at 11:08 AM, BigFatCoward said:

If I literally cut myself in half I'd weigh 105. 

Today is a good day, my baby appears healthy, I'm having a little boy. Would be over the moon if we had a clue for a boys name. Girls names are much easier. 

Megatron is an excellent name for a little boy. Or a little girl for that matter.

4 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Dad from Sunderland? 

This made me cackle because when I was at Uni i would always say i was from Newcastle or Durham rather than admit I was from Sunderland.

(Just barely though, its a Sunderland/Durham boundary)

Today is a good day because for the first time in months, the number of people sick with covid-19 that need to stay in hospitals is under 1000 in the whole country.

My mental state is still on a very low point, but at least this is one positive piece of news for today.

Today is a good day just because. I got up at 7:30 even though it’s a Saturday, I’m waiting my IKEA order to arrive, I’ll walk (an hour there and another back) to pick up a book order from a store in the afternoon. I cleaned and tidied last night, I had a “healthy”ish dinner, and even though I had a shit night of sleep, I feel pretty good and content. (Let’s hope the world doesn’t screw it up)

Archived