Covid-19 #3: It's More Personal Than Ever

Zorral

Previous C-19 Personal Thread is over 400 comments, thus a new one is indicated.

As we are drowning now in the explosion of new cases and deaths (at least here in the failed state of states), and people are sharing their own experience with having been ill with it, or people close to them having been ill with it -- ya, it's even more personal, and other nations that have done better at containment than we have, are also seeing new cases, the pandemic is more personal than ever.  About which I am very very very sorry.

Anyone with kids have any idea what the fuck you're going to do if your kids' school decide they're going with a balls-to-the-wall reopening schedule? Seriously, fuck these people.

4 hours ago, The Great Unwashed said:

Anyone with kids have any idea what the fuck you're going to do if your kids' school decide they're going with a balls-to-the-wall reopening schedule? Seriously, fuck these people.

Although it's not something that I ever thought would appeal to me, I would probably pursue homeschooling if I had school age children right now.

https://education.findlaw.com/education-options/education-and-homeschooling-state-laws.html

From that link-

Oklahoma: The state has a constitutional provision which appears to guarantee the right to homeschool, but no specific statutes on the subject. There are no mandatory testing or teacher certification requirements.

13 hours ago, The Great Unwashed said:

Well, this is what the rich and very well off are doing -- bringing back the days of Jane Eyre and Charles Dickens, with private  teachers.  Family pods of the less wealthy are poaching teachers from the public schools, some even dedicating a separate structure for the class room / rooms. The mothers in particular are willing to pay whatever, so they continue with their own jobs and not have to deal with child care as well as teaching -- and the discipline that needs to be enforced upon the kids to appear for school and to do school work -- for 8 hours a day.  Shades of the antebellum plantation! for the children of the white planter'extended family living in the Big House and all waited upon by his enslaved labor.  The wealthy just out-and-out are hiring private teachers to live with them.

In any case, for the teachers, upon whom war has been made for decades now, this is a lot safer for them and their children, with a vastly reduced class load -- which again, has been proven over and over to be the best learning / teaching situation -- even if making the same amount they were making Before.  This article though doesn't mention anything about medical insurance and other benefits, which school unions had seen to it that teachers got.

We are now entering the neo-education era of governesses and tutors and the end of public education.  Waves sadly to Jane Eyre and the many downtrodden teachers in Charles Dickens's writings, not to mention Louisa May Alcott and so many others.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/education/fall-remote-private-teacher-pods/2020/07/17/9956ff28-c77f-11ea-8ffe-372be8d82298_story.html?

20 hours ago, The Great Unwashed said:

We're probably looking at keeping them home, depending on what's going on.  Even if it means letting them run loose in the house and doing the learning in the late afternoon and evening.  We just don't know.  Right now, the district says five days a week in person classes.  They have plans B and C also.  But we're a suburb that's surrounded by Milwaukee proper and the schools in the city are all virtual in the fall...

And that's another fun aspect of the fall...apparently the Milwaukee reopen plan won't allow any schools to be in person this fall.  The edict apparently includes all educational institutions up through the various universities in Milwaukee, though the fourteen or so colleges in Milwaukee are working with the mayor to adjust that...but if things continue to trend and there is no in person classes at the universities also, I'm looking at some dire situations work wise...

Well I thought I would just report back since people were so kind on Friday - my Covid test came back negative.  So that is a relief.  I think my doctor would have preferred I wait a few days before taking the test to see if the symptoms continued but I know myself - and luckily my doctor knows me.  This way I didn't spend the whole weekend obsessing over every single thing that might be wrong and if it was Covid related.  And when I started feeling better over the weekend I could just relax and feel better.  I feel very lucky to have a doctor and a hospital with everything available and hardly any wait.

Regarding the question about schools and going back...I actually teach a class at a law school and they just made the decision to go online for the semester.  I was actually planning and willing to go in person because I teach and night and the building is pretty empty at that time and the class is a seminar and small and the classroom large and it would have been no problem to social distance.  But now I will get to experience the joy of trying to learn how to do it all on zoom.  The school is giving me private training for that so that is good.

If I had kids though I would certainly be reluctant to send them to in person classes.  But at the same time I assume I wouldn't be able to take the time to home school them properly.  Maybe I'd see if I could team up with other parents who felt similarly and try to cover it that way.  But its a tough choice.  It looks like most grade/high schools here are doing hybrid online and in-person.

Excellent, lady, that you are negative.

Zoom isn't as difficult as you might think, particularly if you get training.  With Zoom, as you ar the prof, i.e. in Zoom lingo, the Host, you have all the control. Over here it was really interesting to observe that the students were far more focused than they were in the physical classroom, where, among other distractions, they were jonsing to look at their fones and social media. Zoom provides the mesmerizing screen. :rolleyes:

Thanks everyone!

That is good to hear about zoom teaching Zorral.  I'll see how the training is goes but at this point my biggest concern is how to see all the students on the screen in case any of them want to talk while at the same time having a power point up and be able to consult my notes all at the same time.  In the physical classroom its easy because my computer with the power point is separate from the students and my notes.  But I will see what it actually looks like before worrying about that too much.  And I will be curious to see if the students are more engaged.  In the past couple of years the law school has seen a significant increase in student absences, mainly because they just don't think they need to go to classes despite everything saying otherwise.  Since there is a penalty in my class for this most would email to say they were "sick" to try to lessen the penalty.  I'm curious to see if the online format changes this and if everyone will stop getting sick and start having internet problems and not being able to connect.

Pre-Covid I would walk about 4 miles a day as I walked to work as it was a 2 mile trek each way.  Well since mid-March I have been working out of my apartment so my daily work walk has decreased to a walk of about 35 feet.  I have not been going for daily walks because I live downtown and the streets are pretty busy and we now have a lot of tourists from other parts who don't believe in wearing masks.  Well after being quarantined in my apartment waiting for my test results for the past few days I decided I had better get out and take a proper walk despite having to walk through people to get to a quieter neighborhood.  I ended up walking about 4 miles and OMG I am utterly exhausted.  LOL.  I am laying on my sofa to tired to even get up and get Advil.  This is so sad.

My kids are in high school. I’d feel ok about homeschooling elementary age kids, but there’s no way I (or Mr Stripe) can do physics, pre-calculus, etc. I worry about the classes with labs. I think my district will probably do hybrid learning, and that might be ok. I do worry about exposure. I am worried about exposure in the workplace for me. I work at a college that is set on offering in person classes. College students from all over the country will be arriving on campus and you know they will not be careful about social distancing.  My department chair has already decided to teach remotely, so hopefully I will be able to stay home for the semester also. 

A friend’s daughter’s boyfriend has been working for almost two years, with a partner, to create a high school Math app that teaches, well, high school math. The daughter has seen the current draft and has expressed the view that if she had had the app when she was in high school she would not have had such miserable math marks. I hope they get it out and make millions on it!

@ladynarcissa -- I hope you drank a lot of water during and after your walk, if it is as hot where you are as it is here. Another day of heat warning here.

Yet, walking is good. I do know about out-of-towners and even out-of-neighborhooders flooding one's own neighborhood and refusing to wear masks or observe any of the safety protocols, including the quarantine they're supposed to be in after arriving from Florida, Texas, etc.

Other countries have no problem shunning the US now for these same reasons -- USians behave the same way --running off to escape the virus and party where they think it is safe -- FOR THEM!

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/14/world/europe/Ireland-americans-break-quarantine.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/23/opinion/passport-coronavirus-travel.html

I usually do not participate in any online responses, chatting, commenting, etc. I have been long absence from this forum as well.  I work in a Funeral Home, I live in Miami.  (hotspot), I was a Bernie Sanders supporter. Then obviously, I became a Hillary supported. I came today to this Forum because I wanted to avoid current situations, I am extremely busy, and reading, during my free time is therapeutic. 

15 hours ago, Zorral said:

I hope you are able to take All the Precautions -- and most of all hope you will be safe.

Luckily we've just acquired a new unit which means we have extra doors so can have a dedicated entrance/exit and better ventilation as well as far easier to maintain social distancing. 

Archived